Yet Another First Time Re-application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamuraiPanda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to medical schools last year at the very last minute after taking the MCAT when I wasn't intending on taking it. I ended up with a 32 (9v, 12bs, 11ps); Long story short, I didn't want to go. So I sent in secondaries on their due date with the intention of not getting accepted, which is exactly what happened. But now, after my senior year, I've decided to take this a bit more seriously.

I want to apply right now to medical schools again right now and I want to know how much of my primary application I should redo. I feel my essay was surprisingly good, so if possible I'd like to change as little as possible. My GPA is 3.8, but a 32 MCAT isn't very good, so I was planning on taking it again. But I want to apply BEFORE I take the MCAT again, then take the test again in June or July.

So how much do I have to change? The primary? The secondaries? Do they know/care they are the same essays?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you re-apply to the same schools, they will probably have a record of your old application/essays. That being said, I would recommend at least re-tooling the primary essay (if not overhauling it completely). It seems most schools like to see a change and evidence of growth between applications.

Personally when I re-applied, I threw all of my essays (primary and secondaries in the trash) and started from scratch. It felt better to start with a clean slate. Be sure to farm them out to everyone who will read your essays for feedback. Every little bit of sparkle and shine on the essays helps.

Other stuff: be sure to update your ECs and activities section. The worst thing you could do is submit your application without showing that you have grown since last cycle.

Good luck!

The MCAT score isn't that bad, but if you didn't study a lot before the first one, you likely can up the score a little...just be aware that it's hard to increase the score in the verbal section, which was the section you scored lower on.

I hope you have enough clinical volunteer experience, b/c a lot of adcoms really want to see that.