Yet another do I have a chance thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Filibuster

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to my state schools last year and did so quite late. I wasn't complete until late November. I only applied to three schools because of personal family matters. As expected, I got shot down. Also, last year I didn't have any clinical experience until I received my MCAT score. Quite frankly, I didn't want to put in a lot of effort if my MCAT was terrible and I never stood a chance. Turns out I did OK. I'm also a Non-Trad and have been out of school since 97, so the age of my transcripts also came into question, as well as my sincerity in becoming a doctor.

So on to this year. I have a 3.6 GPA and 30 MCAT, and have made a great deal of effort to increase my clinical experience and volunteering activities. In an effort to convince the ADCOM's that I am very serious and this is what I want to do. I've got a total of about 200 hours in the ER. I've shadowed a couple of doctors. One I've shadowed on an ongoing basis, averaging one to two days per month (by far my best experience). I've also been volunteering at a local retirement community.

This is going to be my last attempt. I've applied to 30 MD schools and 8 DO schools. Basically bottom up. Starting with the easiest to get into.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Filibuster said:
I applied to my state schools last year and did so quite late. I wasn't complete until late November. I only applied to three schools because of personal family matters. As expected, I got shot down. Also, last year I didn't have any clinical experience until I received my MCAT score. Quite frankly, I didn't want to put in a lot of effort if my MCAT was terrible and I never stood a chance. Turns out I did OK. I'm also a Non-Trad and have been out of school since 97, so the age of my transcripts also came into question, as well as my sincerity in becoming a doctor.

So on to this year. I have a 3.6 GPA and 30 MCAT, and have made a great deal of effort to increase my clinical experience and volunteering activities. In an effort to convince the ADCOM's that I am very serious and this is what I want to do. I've got a total of about 200 hours in the ER. I've shadowed a couple of doctors. One I've shadowed on an ongoing basis, averaging one to two days per month (by far my best experience). I've also been volunteering at a local retirement community.

This is going to be my last attempt. I've applied to 30 MD schools and 8 DO schools. Basically bottom up. Starting with the easiest to get into.

What do you guys think?

based on your stats alone i'd say you will get in somewhere(since you applied to both DO and MD schools.

Becareful about labeling schools as "easy." Just because the average statistics of people accepted to certain schools is lower doesn't necessarily mean its "easier." In fact, I'd argue that sometimes it can be harder to get into a school with lower average mcats and gpas because those schools typically get a lot more applicants per spot in the class.

One of the things I have been seeing a lot on the forums is "shadowing." (this is by no means directed specifically to the OP but rather, as a general rule of thumb for everyone) Shadowing is fine and dandy and I think everyone should have had some time in the hospital to get an idea of what it is like....but just remember on your secondaries and personal statements and descriptions of your "shadowing" to make sure to depict the meaningful experiences you've had while you were shadowing. For adcoms and interviewers there is nothing worse than someone claiming that they have had 500000 hours at St. Joe's ER but really have nothing to show for it.

Personally, I think shadowing is pretty lame. Well....i guess it depends on what the person did. Hopefully the individual did more than just stand around. At the very least hopefully the shadower took blood pressures and vitals. People i know on certain adcoms of certain schools would probably agree. There are many ways to get clinical experience that do not involve "shadowing." Granted, I am biased since a place like UCLA has tons of unique clinical opportunities, whereas state college in the middle of nowhere might not have the same clinical opportunities for their premeds. Regardless, the point being, efforts to do more than just "shadow" are generally looked upon more favorably than having lots of hours. So make sure you all convey that.

UCLAMAN [B said:
Personally, I think shadowing is pretty lame[/B]. .

I wouldn't go so far as to call it lame but I do understand what UCLAMAN is trying to point out. I attended an extremely helpful pre-med conference where a few adcom members stated that shadowing a doctor is not considered clinical experience. Adcoms want to know that you were actually doing something medically related and not just following the physician around to see patients. They stated that working with a NP or in a health clinic was looked on more favorably because they then would feel you were actually aiding in patient care. I'm not sure how you were planning to relay your shadowing experience (e.g., PS or EC's) but I would emphasize exactly what I did hands on while shadowing the doctor. With that being said, I don't claim to have the ability to tell anyone if their stats are "worthy" of acceptance to med school but I can tell you that if you are destined to get in somewhere no matter what your stats are it will happen...Good Luck :)

mshollywoodmd said:
I wouldn't go so far as to call it lame but I do understand what UCLAMAN is trying to point out. I attended an extremely helpful pre-med conference where a few adcom members stated that shadowing a doctor is not considered clinical experience. Adcoms want to know that you were actually doing something medically related and not just following the physician around to see patients. They stated that working with a NP or in a health clinic was looked on more favorably because they then would feel you were actually aiding in patient care. I'm not sure how you were planning to relay your shadowing experience (e.g., PS or EC's) but I would emphasize exactly what I did hands on while shadowing the doctor. With that being said, I don't claim to have the ability to tell anyone if their stats are "worthy" of acceptance to med school but I can tell you that if you are destined to get in somewhere no matter what your stats are it will happen...Good Luck :)

Your stats seem really good. You should apply early and then make sure to write letter and show lots of interest to the schools where you are trying to go. Explain your situation, why you need to be there, etc. Also, did you try calling last year and asking why you didn't get in?