Yet anothe LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope the application season is going well for all of you. I'm an M3 and I'm trying to figure out which of the following is the best LOR scenario for myself. Everyone says you need 2 ophtha, but each of these likely scenarios seems to have its upside and downside:

1) One surgery, one medicine, and one ophtha (with application submitted in the 1st tier)

2) One surgery or medicine, one ophtha, and one research mentor from 1 year non-ophtho research fellowship whom I worked with to submit IRB stuff, grants and papers (with application submitted in 1st tier)

3) One surgery or medicine and 2 ophtha (with application submitted later, mid-September)

Thanks to all who have time to respond! I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Turkdlit,

Good question. I'm not sure who told you that you need 2 ophtho letters. From what I gather, you want at least one ophtho letter and at least one medicine/surgery letter. Two ophtho might be helpful, might not. If you had one rec be a "walk on water" rec, and another be good but not great, the latter might actually take away from the former. I'd recommend an ophtho letter, preferably from someone known (but not required) or someone from someplace known (also not required but helpful), but the crux is that it be a strong one. Wait as long as is reasonable to get that one strong ophtho letter. If you'll have it early, I'd send that with the research mentor letter and a med/surg rec.

Not sure what you mean by first tier, but I think you might be referring to the batch distribution system of SFMatch. I believe they stopped that this year and just send out your apps as soon as possible.

An earlier complete application is best in my view. Some programs wait until getting most/all applications, and then screen and then tell all applicants within a few day period who gets an interview. However, others do it rolling, first come first served.

Good luck!

I would take what I say with a grain of salt as I am just an applicant to Ophthalmology at this time...but I've heard from numerous people different things (maybe this means that since there are so many strategies for letters, then there is no ONE good way...maybe a bunch)

Given that Ophtho is (1) early match and (2) usually a senior elective, many people cannot get more than 1 letter...so two letters (one med/surgery and one research one would be perfectly acceptable in this case)

if you do have an early ophtho experience and can get a second letter done in time, that would certainly be helpful...especially if it is from some big wig...but that obviously shouldnt/may not be required

at least 1 ophtho at most 2 ophtho would be fine i'm sure...fill in the gaps with the strongest letter(s) you can get...regardless of if it's research or what

like i said, merely an applicant speaking here...so take my advice for what it's worth (info i heard from other people)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, MyEye and Ophthoapplicant, those are two very useful posts. Its good to know one ophtho letter may suffice because the one I plan on getting will be from an attending at a very well known institution. With that in place, I should be able to get my app in ASAP...

Can I ask you two whom you got your LORs from, since you're both applicants? Also, any residents want to chime their opinion in? Thanks again!

Turk.

I know everyone is in the middle of freaking out about interviews...

but thought I'd give this thread a little bump and shove...