Potential switch to ophthalmology from another residency questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gomencephaly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking advice regarding GME funding with a change in residency. Any resources would be much appreciated.

I am about to finish my PGY3 year in radiology. In short, I was never exposed to ophthalmology in medical school, went on a humanitarian medical trip in Haiti, and got to work extensively with an ophthalmologist, and I've realized that I like it a million times more. I've continued by doing some post call shadowing with some community ophthalmologists, and I've been seriously contemplating a switch since that trip.

My thoughts are I would find a place to do ophthalmology research or pre-residency program for 1-3 years while applying for the SF match and any PGY2 spots that open up outside the match along the way. I understand GME sets my funding at 5 years and that 3 years will have been used, leaving 1 year unfunded. Will my years of GME funding carry over while doing research to get into an ophthalmology spot? Will not having that year of funding make obtaining a spot impossible/highly improbable even if I'm fully expecting to devote 1-3 years of research to the process. Class rank and STEP scores are average for ophthalmology. No ophthalmology program present at my current institution. Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So my N=4 and YMMV, but I didn't match my first time around and was looking into creative ways to get into Ophtho, including doing a TRI or other prelim year that may change my funding if I had to re-apply (assuming I had to apply more than once). I emailed every PD I interviewed with for feedback, and four were nice enough to take my call.

Two PDs stated that throughout the entire interview and ranking process they never once looked at or considered an applicant's funding situation. The other two that answered the question gave a political type response such as "we overlook such things for the right applicant". Not sure how helpful that is, but I'm not sure anyone here could answer that question for you with any certainty.

Reactions: 1 user
So my N=4 and YMMV, but I didn't match my first time around and was looking into creative ways to get into Ophtho, including doing a TRI or other prelim year that may change my funding if I had to re-apply (assuming I had to apply more than once). I emailed every PD I interviewed with for feedback, and four were nice enough to take my call.

Two PDs stated that throughout the entire interview and ranking process they never once looked at or considered an applicant's funding situation. The other two that answered the question gave a political type response such as "we overlook such things for the right applicant". Not sure how helpful that is, but I'm not sure anyone here could answer that question for you with any certainty.

Given that you have already done a PGY1 Year--you should make this site your homepage every day to check immediate vacancies

Residency and Fellowship Match

just posted today

Last Updated: 4/11/18

3320 California Pacific Medical Center
DESCRIPTION: Offering a PGY-2 position to begin on July 2018.
Pre-requisites: Completion of appropriate PGY1 internship program
Interested applicants please email CAS application and support documents.
Program Coordinator
EMAIL: [email protected]
ADDRESS: California Pacific Medical Center
711 Van Ness Ave., Ste. 250
San Francisco, CA 94102
POSTED: 4/11/18

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I hope you jump on that PGY2 spot, could snag it up as soon as it hit the open market.

Given that you have already done a PGY1 Year--you should make this site your homepage every day to check immediate vacancies

just posted today

Last Updated: 4/11/18

3320 California Pacific Medical Center
DESCRIPTION: Offering a PGY-2 position to begin on July 2018.
Pre-requisites: Completion of appropriate PGY1 internship program
Interested applicants please email CAS application and support documents.
Program Coordinator
ADDRESS: California Pacific Medical Center
711 Van Ness Ave., Ste. 250
San Francisco, CA 94102
POSTED: 4/11/18

I ended up not doing a prelim year and did a research year instead. I was asking PDs everything I could while I was scrambling on what to do. It worked out in the end, but I think that's great advice to all reappplicants to hover on this site all the time.

Kudos to those with the courage to switch residencies. The amount of thought and effort that go into switching is mind blowing. You will be all the more driven to make it through the new residency all the while bringing interesting perspective to the table.

My senior was a hospitalist before becoming an ophthalmology resident as a foreign med school graduate. Funding is probably a tiny issue that can be worked through when you present yourself as a great applicant.

There is so much money involved with universities and hospitals that one resident's funding is a few drops in the bucket. Some programs may feel it's important but certainly not all.

Did the OP get into an optho program?
I am very interested in ophthalmology residency and would like to know if there is the chance to get into one.

Did you end up successfully switching into optho from rads? how did it go?

Radonc attending board certified 5 years out

Ophthalmology publications in the cancer space with very prestigious program

Haven’t shadowed any since finishing residency

Any idea what my chances would be?

Radiology attending 7 years in private practice.

No optho experience. Never even did optho in med school.

…BUT I see the globes and optics nerves on every CT/MRI of the brain. Sometimes we specifically image the optic tracts and sometimes I even see pathology.

What are my chances?