Yes yes, NAPLEX Depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lizabon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took it this morning, and I KNOW I didn't do well. I was able to finish all questions in the allotted time; however, I put in random numbers for half of the math (had about 15) and didn't get a single HIV question and only 4 oncology questions.

Most of my questions were the basic disease states that we as pharmacists should be experts about - DM, HTN, COPD, etc. I kept flubbing those up because I couldn't remember basic things like brand/generic and exactly WHERE certain drugs worked (ie. where does this drug work in this picture). Many of the questions were ridiculously basic, and I missed those...when I got home, I looked up about 15 questions I could recall and got them all wrong.

Pretty bummed. This is my first time taking it and I studied pretty hardcore (8+hrs/d) for about 2 month. There's been a trend of nonpassing scores when they keep asking you about the same disease states and not asking questions on a more difficult topic like Onc or HIV. :( ... It will truly be a miracle if I even make it in the 70s at all.

EDIT: Guys, I put the BARELY in barely passed. Check below.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hang in there Lizabon. You don't know for sure. Have faith! Take a deep breath, don't think about it (yea, right) and try enjoy July 4th. Hang out with some friends and drink some beer or wine or whatever for 4th of July.

What did you use to study?

Hang in there Lizabon. You don't know for sure. Have faith! Take a deep breath, don't think about it (yea, right) and try enjoy July 4th. Hang out with some friends and drink some beer or wine or whatever for 4th of July.

What did you use to study?
Pretty hard to not think about it. Barely got any sleep stressing about it.

I used APhA and RxPrep, and both guides were great. Only problem was that I was freaking out during the actual exam so I went blank on a lot of basic knowledge questions. I kept getting a LOT of basic knowledge questions during the middle to end of the exam so that's when I realize I was screwing things up.

I got to work today (on the 4th yay) and my pharmacist and techs will be asking about the exam:(

I hope you passed. Naplex usually do that to you. I wouldn't think much about it cuz after all you took the test and theres nothing u can do about it now. Just go on with life until u get the result and go on from there.
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people I know felt like they did terribly afterwards and they all passed. I thought I failed for sure and ended up doing well.

Thanks guys. Talked to my pharmacist today at work, and I felt worse afterwards lol She's a recent grad and had to take her NAPLEX twice (think it was mainly a language barrier deal) and how the system was alloting her the questions seemed eerily similar to mine - no HIV, 2-3 oncology, minimal math, and of lots of basic questions.

Anyways, I'll enjoy the rest of the 4th with a cold one and prepare mentally for the MPJE:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey, please don't freak out.. I am sure you will pass as everyone after the test feels the same way, Please do tell us about your score, I am going to take the test soon so please let me know you passed to give me some motivation. Also, please tell us about your pre NAPLEX and your real test scores if you don't mind...
Good luck!!
Thanks!!

anyone else having trouble getting on nabp website today?

Check now, it works.

Pre-NAPLEX: 74
NAPLEX: 77

Guys, I put the barely in barely passed... Honestly don't give a crap though cause it's still PASSING. I swear I was going crazy earlier when NABP site was down. This should give some people faith that even when you're an average student and have MAJOR anxiety issues, even you can pass by a hair. I'm so happy I'm crying now... I couldn't study for the MPJE all day, because I was stressed out about my NAPLEX score.

Little advice, do NOT pass up those common skin topics, immunization or drug reference chapters; I had 1-4 questions on each section and missed every single one of them. If limited on time, at least skim over the pages before the exam. Majority of questions were the major disease states (ie. HTN, DLD, DM) and few if little on stats, Onc & HIV. Mostly all questions were patient cases so get used to reading charts. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Lizabon..Who cares if you only score that...You still passed!!!!! Now MPJE is my guess??? What state?? So proud of you...

Congrats Lizabon..Who cares if you only score that...You still passed!!!!! Now MPJE is my guess??? What state?? So proud of you...

You know, it wasn't that I didn't know the material, it was because I let my anxiety get to me. I had to leave the actual testing room a few times (with permission ofcourse), because I was having anxiety issues. Also, another advice to future test takers is NOT to take it during the time you're tired. I always get a little woozy around 2pm and that's about the time I had my exam. Yes, I was both anxious and sleepy. Go figure.

MPJE is next up, FL.

Geezz- at least you didn't pee while taking the test from nervousness....Someone I knew did that and walked out the test!!!

Oh boy!!! Talk about fear..

Good luck with MPJE

Congrats on passing the NAPLEX everyone!

Do they tell you on the NAPLEX whether to use the pt's IBW or ABW when calculating the CrCl using the Cockcroft-Gault equation? Thanks!

Congrats on passing the NAPLEX everyone!

Do they tell you on the NAPLEX whether to use the pt's IBW or ABW when calculating the CrCl using the Cockcroft-Gault equation? Thanks!

Yes, for most of the the CrCl questions, I remember they specifically said to use IBW; however, for some I think they didn't specify. So for ones that didn't specify, I quickly calculated to see if they were 30% higher than IBW, but I didn't once need to use ABW.

Gah, another thing. Do not forget to multiply the dang x0.85 for female CrCl. I screwed up 2 questions that way and it would've changed my therapy action.

Last edited:
Yes, for most of the the CrCl questions, I remember they specifically said to use IBW; however, for some I think they didn't specify. So for ones that didn't specify, I quickly calculated to see if they were 30% higher than IBW, but I didn't once need to use ABW.

Gah, another thing. Do not forget to multiply the dang x0.85 for female CrCl. I screwed up 2 questions that way and it would've changed my therapy action.

Congrats! I knew you would pass. Regardless, I would be a bit more concerned about FL MPJE. I've heard it's a bit tougher.

Trust me, I am more than concerned about that MPJE, but at least I don't have to wait 91 days to retake it if I flub it up. Not saying I'm going to take it lightly nor will I try to fail it, but my job was on the line if I had failed the NAPLEX. They told they wouldn't have been able to hang onto me for that long:(

Congrats! I knew you would pass. Regardless, I would be a bit more concerned about FL MPJE. I've heard it's a bit tougher.

Thanks man, yeah I'm just preparing for the MPJE now. It's in a few days!

Btw, I just talked to a friend that got her NAPLEX score today as well, and she didn't even look at the chapters like immunosuppressants, skin disorders, etc. and passed with flying colors (think she said she got 112 as her score?). For hers, she said she got mostly infectious disease, lots of counseling pointers on antidepress and OTC drugs, lots of problems which mostly were TPNs, and basic Onc questions.

She claims she "guessed" on a lot of questions, but she's one of those people that always guesses right (better reasoning skills) unlike me, I tend to guess wrong lol Just another perspective!

Last edited:
Took my Naplex today..LOTS of select all that apply..few oncology and HIV..guessed on bout 4-5 calculations. Don't feel that great at all.

People make so much silliness about getting greater than passing score numbers. If I might share an old saying, we had in Pharmacy school. It was even printed on t-shirts. Mind you, I was one of the Pharmacists on Noah's crew.
C's get degrees and 2.2's slide on through.
Congratulations Cinnabon!!!

People make so much silliness about getting greater than passing score numbers. If I might share an old saying, we had in Pharmacy school. It was even printed on t-shirts. Mind you, I was one of the Pharmacists on Noah's crew.
C's get degrees and 2.2's slide on through.
Congratulations Cinnabon!!!

I'll be happy with anything that's 75 or above on the NAPLEX. Hell, I'm not greedy about it. I just want to pass the damn thing!!

Just took my exam today and I feel so depressed.

Ran out of time at the end so I had to guess on like 5 math questions. Literally, I was putting random numbers in bc I couldn't do them. I only had 1 oncology questions, which is a pretty bad sign.

I messed up on some of the pretty basic questions like what do you monitor for hypothyroidism. I had about 50 select alls and those were difficult.

Seriously crying right now.

I studied rx prep, did all the quiz bank, and went through the 120 packet twice.

Last edited:

Ran out of time at the end so I had to guess on like 5 math questions. Literally, I was putting random numbers in bc I couldn't do them. I only had 1 oncology questions, which is a pretty bad sign.

I messed up on some of the pretty basic questions like what do you monitor for hypothyroidism. I had about 50 select alls and those were difficult.

I studied rx prep, did all the quiz bank, and went through the 120 packet twice.

i had 1 oncology and no HIV, got a 122. Thats not a bad sign.

i had 1 oncology and no HIV, got a 122. Thats not a bad sign.

I feel a little bit better. What makes me sad is the calculations. I don't feel good about them bc i had to rush through the last 20 questions (all math). Had to put in random answers for some of them bc i ran out of time. As for therapeutics, I had about 50 select alls, so what are the chances I'll get any of them right.

Major depression until I get my score.......Does anyone know how the Naplex is scored? Roughly how many questions do you need to get right to pass, and what do they do with the 30 or so questions that won't count toward your score? Do you get bonus points?

safe to say those calculations at the end tend to invoke discouragement & doubt within most of us; i was so irritated leaving the testing site. all in all, it was a reasonable exam.. just glad both exams are things of the past now!

:D

I just took the NAPLEX yesterday. Math part was relatively easy.:D LOTS of select ALL that apply:

What if you miss any of the choices, do you get partial credit? Just wondering!

Look i took the Naplex last week and i left there upset as well, I recalculated three questions that I remembered off head and I got all three of them wrong, mind you it was fill in the blank.
I ended up stressing out and second guessing myself but in the end I passed. Go and keep your mind busy until the scores are up because I am betting that you passed.

Naplex : 105 and Pre-naplex two days prior: 74

I'm pretty sure you passed because I did a lot of guessing and still had a buffer.

Count me in on one of those people that feel like crap after the NAPLEX. I just don't know. I finally took it after postponing. I got crap ton of HIV AND cancer questions. Some of the math questions I didn't know how to do and just put in something into the blank. Got some easier questions and then questions about drugs I've never heard of.

I took the Naplex today and it was challenging, about 70% of my exam covered oncology, CAM, thromboembolic disease, and fill in the blank calculations!! I had maybe less than 10 questions total covering htn, dm, dyslipidemia. I hope I pass pleaseee

I took the Naplex today and it was challenging, about 70% of my exam covered oncology, CAM, thromboembolic disease, and fill in the blank calculations!! I had maybe less than 10 questions total covering htn, dm, dyslipidemia. I hope I pass pleaseee

Sounds like mine! I was surprised I didn't get ask more of the chronic disease state questions. Good luck to you!

No score yet! Ugh. How long did it take you guys for it to come back? I took mine Wednesday at 1. I really don't want to panic over the weekend. I took the MPJE on a Saturday at 8am and got it back Tuesday around 11:30 central.

I am sure you will make it!!!!!!!!!! now tell me ow you prepare for ONCOLOY and INFECTIOUS DISEASE. For me, these chapters are headache, as I completed my study long time back and I don't remember those topics at all. It would be a great help, if anyone give me suggestion. I am now preparing from RXPREP-2013 book. I feel like too.....many information to remember and wen I see people are getting good scores, so it is not impossible to get it.

I took the NAPLEX about a month ago, and the general topics covered in my exam differed from other people I've talked to. While I had about 25 math fill-ins, others had about 40. Just remember, you need to cover anything, because the topics you don't cover, most likely you may be asked 4-5 questions about it. If you don't have enough time and need to cram, cover the broad topics like DM, DLD, etc.

From the RxPrep book, the ID section is more than enough. Depending on what you already know, I would at least read through the chapter at least once and make sure to do the 3-4 ID quiz banks. At the minimum, memorize all the bolded drugs & related information. I didn't study anything else except the ID RxPrep chapter and did well on that topic.

For the oncology section, I thought the RxPrep chapter was overkill and made me feel worse/more confused. However, the questions I got on the NAPLEX were very similar to what the online lecture emphasized on in regards to drug specific side effects. I listened to the lecture once and skimmed the chapter, but felt that re-reading my class notes was more beneficial. The NAPLEX asked broad, class-specific questions.

Thank you very much for little advice because when I start reading those BIG chapters- ONCOLOGY AND HIV, my head starts spinning and I completely fricked out of study. What bout infectatious disease chapter, what to study and remember? Any one's suggestion would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if the Naplex scores are our 1) raw scores or a 2) scaled/curve score?

Is the Naplex graded on a curve?

To my understanding, the overall grade is based on the difficulty of the questions you answered correctly. 75 is the basic pharmacy competency score and if you answer harder questions correctly, you get a higher score. This is why everyone's questions are different per exam bc the computer picks questions based on the difficulty level of the previous correct answer.

Reactions: 1 user