Yes, another step 2 CS freakout thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatalis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, took my CS exam earlier this week and like many of those who have taken it before...I am freaking out thinking I failed!
I won't go into specifics but here are things I am unsure about
1) For the note: I asked fmhx, pmhx, etc etc for every case, I never missed any of those because I drilled it into my head how to ask those....however I felt like when I was asking the ROS and pmhx, etc it was more a Q&A and not patient centered...but I have no clue how to NOT make it a Q&A. One of my patients said "doc you are not listening to me..." [he was in distress tho]. I did add transitional statements like "since its the first time we met/ I want to get to know you better... what do you do for a living, etc"
2) Misspelled a few words on the note, i.e odynophagia as odonophagia....I dont know how much weight this bears?
3) Some of the patients were just blank eyed...example: when I was counselling or when I was giving my impression and I was done saying my piece they just stood at me blankly until I said "ok?" or "is this ok?"...this really threw me off [I didnt use medical terminology and for even 1 patient I drew out some anatomy stuff for her/him so that she could understand what was going on".
4) I didnt put every workup for each case because honestly I just forgot/ under stress. For some I drew a blank and couldnt recall the specific test so I just wrote it out [ex (not on my test but just an ex): upper respiratory viral panel)].
5) I told one patient a possible diagnosis [told her/him 3] but didnt list it as my differential....dont ask me why....I dont know why...the stress of the test can do that and now I am worried!
6) one of my patient had pain, did a certain test and he said it was kind of tender. Wrote on the note, slight tenderness [the patient was a difficult one right from the start].
7) for 2 stations I answered the challenging questions via middle road path ["it depends on what we find/ we will work together once we have an accurate dx"] but after I said "so does that answer your question", they said "I guess so/kind of"...which then lead me to answer it again just rephrasing, idk sometimes I felt like they tried to trap you into saying some like "cancer", etc.
Overall I think my notes were OK...nothing spectacular but nothing terrible. I usually got 1-2dx that fit the bill/ plausible. I explained at least 1 of my impressions and at least 1-2 tests to dx.
Thoughts anyone? I am super nervous for this one!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought you were trolling at first, because some of these are such a non-issue (e.g. 2, 6, 7). Do you really think that these things you're worried about are so egregious that you performed significantly worse than 98% of test-takers (75% if you're IMG)? I don't.

I wish I got my score back already so I could tell you more encouraging things with more conviction, but alas...

I thought you were trolling at first, because some of these are such a non-issue (e.g. 2, 6, 7). Do you really think that these things you're worried about are so egregious that you performed significantly worse than 98% of test-takers (75% if you're IMG)? I don't.

I wish I got my score back already so I could tell you more encouraging things with more conviction, but alas...
thanks for the encouragement, just wanted to hear people's opinions/experiences to see if they made similar mistakes and still passed.

Hi,
I have weird case and need some advice on that - On my very first pt note during which i was completely freaked out and was typing fast so as not to forget anything, I accidentally wrote 'LMP' abbrev without writing how many weeks ago it happened since i couldnt remember it and simply moved on with typing. Than i realized that i did not asked pt straight forward q about it - just 'bout her periods in the past. Problem is - i forgot to remove this abbreviation before i ran out of time and submitted my note with that stupid mistake !!!
Can anyone tell me whether or not such a mistake will count as an attempt to falsify pt note ?????