Years of undergrad study...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w44jmw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my third year of a Bio degree, but am hoping to get accepted into an optometry program for fall 2009. Does the fact that I haven't completed BSc significantly lower my chances? I will have completed all of the prerequisites for the schools I'm applying to as of April 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my third year of a Bio degree, but am hoping to get accepted into an optometry program for fall 2009. Does the fact that I haven't completed BSc significantly lower my chances? I will have completed all of the prerequisites for the schools I'm applying to as of April 2009.
good scores and you're fine. i'm only a third year and i just got accepted. in fact, i still have most of my pre reqs to do haha

Depends on the school you're applying to. Some require a bachelor's before applying, but most don't, as long as you have the pre-reqs completed in good standing.

There's a data sheet on US Opt. Ed. schools that have degrees completed as a req. or not, I'm just too lazy to look it up in the moment, :p

Hopefully someone else can help you out on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, the only negative aspect of doing this (for the schools that allow it, anyway) is that if you are accepted, you might start to slack. Haha, maybe it's just me, but knowing I have acceptances (even though they are provisional) makes it a little bit harder to strive for that A rather than just sliding by...

imo, the only negative aspect of doing this (for the schools that allow it, anyway) is that if you are accepted, you might start to slack. Haha, maybe it's just me, but knowing i have acceptances (even though they are provisional) makes it a little bit harder to strive for that a rather than just sliding by...
ditto

There is something to be said about the past three years finally paying off!! I am having a really hard time staying motivated through the last couple of weeks of this semester.

There is something to be said about the past three years finally paying off!! I am having a really hard time staying motivated through the last couple of weeks of this semester.

ME TOO! It's awful...and being gone for a significant amount of time for interviews doesn't help either. It's a slippery slope...

A little bit off topic but... Has anyone done only 2 years in undergrad? I'm a freshman and considering applying next fall. Does it look bad to apply without all of the prereqs done?

A little bit off topic but... Has anyone done only 2 years in undergrad? I'm a freshman and considering applying next fall. Does it look bad to apply without all of the prereqs done?

Chances are, you probably won't get in after two years. Don't mean to sound harsh, but a large part of the application process is proving you can handle a heavy courseload and have a good understanding of the prerequisites. And besides, how do you expect to do well on the OAT without taking the majority of the prereqs?

Be patient! Just spend this time making your application awesome-- get involved, ace your classes, shadow different practices and do whatever else you can think of. Props for being so ahead of the game though :)

I would have most of the prereqs but the OAT is a serious concern. Could I have my application in by August but not send OAT scores until dec/jan? or do they have to be in at the same?

I would have most of the prereqs but the OAT is a serious concern. Could I have my application in by August but not send OAT scores until dec/jan? or do they have to be in at the same?
most schools require 90 hours...will you have that done?
as for the oat, i had a similar problem and blew one of the sections, but still got interviews to all the schools i applied to. i just showed them that my gpa was strong, so i was capable of doing well on the test..i just didnt because i hadn't been exposed to the material yet.
if your gpa is strong and you have enough hours..and you have the experience and everything i dont see anything wrong with applying.
just remember though, they will be comparing you to people who have graduated, and some people who have tons of experience out of undergrad already...

They don't have to be in at the same time. Some schools will put your application on hold until your scores come in, while others will review your file with pending scores. Dec/Jan is somewhat late in the cycle. For someone who obviously wants to be ahead of the game, would you really want to send out an application that could be stronger if you sent everything at the beginning of the cycle?

They don't have to be in at the same time. Some schools will put your application on hold until your scores come in, while others will review your file with pending scores. Dec/Jan is somewhat late in the cycle. For someone who obviously wants to be ahead of the game, would you really want to send out an application that could be stronger if you sent everything at the beginning of the cycle?
I agree! :thumbup: