Looking for advice in my undergrad studies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twick853

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year science student and have been looking into optometry. I have completed one year of open studies credit and upgrading courses prior to being accepted into the science program at my university, and then one year of typical first year science courses. I have enrolled in 5-class full course load semesters the first two years of my studies, and this is the first year I am trying out 4 classes a semester. Since I have been looking into the prerequisites required for optometry I have noticed most schools note that it is required to be enrolled in 5 courses for x amount of years during undergrad.

Since I did so many of my "general education" courses in the first year and a half Im pretty loaded with heavier science courses for the remainder of my degree. Im wondering what it looks like on an application doing 4-class course loads and getting great grades vs doing 5-class course loads and getting alright grades. I see many people in the forums deciding to apply to optometry and returning back to school to complete one missing prereq here and there, obviously not being enrolled in fulltime studies ... How strict are optometry schools when looking at the application requirements such as these?

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you see that it's required to take 5 classes at a time? My understanding is as long as you get the pre-reqs done, that's what counts.