Years of Creditable Service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in the Air Force FAP now for over a year and I am still confused about whether or not my time in residency counts towards pay and rank. I mention this because this weekend I spoke to a former resident at my program who is also in FAP. He says that when he started after residency that he was being paid as an O-3 with 0 years of service. I was just wandering if anyone could clarify this. He did sign on about 3 years prior to me, so maybe it was changed? I looked at my contract today and it mentions Title 37 U.S.C. 302(g) several times when referring to creditable service but does not explain what this is. Can anyone clear this up?

Members don't see this ad.

creditable service=how many years since you graduated med school.

time in service=how many years you have been in either active duty or drilling reserve status

Creditable service is used to figure some bonuses (e.g. variable special pay) and also for determining when you get your non-competitive promotions (ie. major and lt col).

Time in service coupled with your rank determines your base pay.

So, as an FAP, your time in residency counts for creditable service, but not for time in service.