Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine Military Branch Selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringMilitaryDoctor

Premed Student (Undergrad)
Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted a question regarding military medicine before, and I have one regarding the military branch selection at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences. Do grades, GPA, prerequisites, MCAT, letters of recommendation, extracurriculars help me get into a specific military branch at USUHS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, so I gotta apply for the year I intend to attend medical school at USUHS?

You apply to USUHS like any other medical school. They do rolling admissions. Each service has a fixed number of spots in each class. If you're accepted, you select a branch of service, assuming that service has spots left.

For this reason, it is advantageous to apply early in the cycle, interview early, and get accepted early - so that if you decide to go to USUHS, you have the best odds of getting the service you want.

You can’t be forced into a service you don’t want there. I wanted Navy, was waitlisted for Navy, was told that I could get off the waitlist and get an acceptance for the army and I said no. I met their standards of admission but was waitlisted because their Navy spots had already been filled. So your acceptance is dependent on the service(s) you select, if they have spots available.

Ultimately I went HPSP and am so glad that I did, the 7 year service requirement from USUHS is too long of a commitment to know what you are getting yourself into.

Reactions: 1 user
My preference for each service branch is probably something like this:

Air Force
Coast Guard
Public Health Service
Navy
Army

It might look different when I apply based on my MCAT score, extracurricular activities, clinical work, letters of recommendation from doctors, nurses, or other healthcare professionals that I work with, etc.

I'm just saying that the Air Force is my #1 preference for military service branch because I don't want to be deployed for a long time and be stuck on ships and the Army is the last branch I would want to be in because I don't like the culture.