Year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year student at UC Davis. I want to graduate next year after summer school. My original plan was to graduate early and work/gain experience in a pharmacy.

But now I'm doubting that idea because I feel like it's not worth it. Because I'm working hard to graduate early, yet after graduating, I would just be at home, working (hopefully) in a pharmacy (hopefully as a TECH).

My main incentive for graduating early was so that I could save some time, save some money and maybe make some money on the side. But it seems like it is such a waste to graduate early and still go to pharmacy school at the same time as I would have if I graduated in 4 years.

Also, going to pharmacy school directly after graduating is not an option because it would mean I would have to apply this summer, and I'm just not ready. I don't feel like I would get in based on my current GPA, experience (I JUST started pharmacy clerk-ing) and letters (I can't even get one from a professor..)

Would taking the year off and gaining experience even heighten my chances of getting into pharmacy school?

What should I do?
THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

I had no pharmacy experience and I got into three schools. Granted, I had a lab research position at my school coupled with some hospital volunteering, but not a tech job.

What's your GPA like? Also, can you think of a professor that at least remembers you? Though it is ideal to get LORs from people who know you well, many people are resigned to asking a professor to write a letter when that professor doesn't know them very well. That happens all the time and it won't kill your application.

omnione may I ask what your gpa and PCAT scores were as I'm thinking of applying to Creighton.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA isn't too great. It keeps dropping every quarter by .2! It is a cumulative of a 3.38 right now and it sucks cuz I haven't gotten any C's, but I haven't done extravagantly well either. =/

My GPA isn't too great. It keeps dropping every quarter by .2! It is a cumulative of a 3.38 right now and it sucks cuz I haven't gotten any C's, but I haven't done extravagantly well either. =/

I got accepted with a few Cs, so getting in for you is quite doable.

Receiving a BA / BS is becoming increasingly more important - especially if you are applying to Cali schools - for acceptance to Pharmacy school. However, GPA is VERY important - certainly more important than the speed at which you will receive your 4yr degree. Take your time - maximize your GPA.

Pharmacy Experience is a hazy subject - you will want to have some - but how much is really anyone's guess. As long as you understand the flow of work associated with Pharmacy - enough that in an interview you can display insight - I would imagine its enough (unless otherwise stated by the school in question). Dont sell yourself short - applying for pharmacy school with a few deficient portions of your app is fine.

~above~

It sounds like you're still exploring the pharmacy career path. I would suggest taking the year to really solidify your reasons for pursuing this career path (it's a serious investment and you don't want to go into it without knowing everything about it...not to mention you can't talk about the profession in your personal statement or interview if you have no idea what it's about). If you are deadset on becoming a pharmacist, then great! It would be a good idea to begin collecting those letters of recommendation. I know UCDavis has a career center that offers a LOR service, but Pharmcas is complicated in that it requires you to have your recommenders fill out a paper form. Because it's not as streamlined, you'll definitely want to have all of your paperwork organized and neatly presented. Your GPA seems fine as long as your PCAT score is competitive (85 or above). If you believe staying an extra year will help you boost your GPA then stay and boost it. If not, don't bother unless you want to pursue a minor (which can help your application too). If you're not really doing anything, the extra year can be used to really invest fully in extracurriculars which demonstrate a STRONG commitment to the healthcare field (doesn't just have to be pharmacy). I spoke with the Adcom for UofMaryland, and they like to see candidates with a broad spectrum of experience. If you can talk about not only your pharmacy experience, but how it applies to the healthcare sector in general, that'll definitely help. Research is always a plus but not critical. Look for activities which will allow you to showcase your natural abilities to work with patients, to work responsibly, and to think critically. Then just prep a good LOR packet and ask the supervisor and those will be set =).

A good idea also is to start researching the schools you might be interested in. Read up on what the schools' mission statements are, their core academic values. Those are ideas that you'll want to weave into your personal statement. And of course, like all application processes, you'll want plenty of revisions in a timely manner so that you can apply early and maximize your chances. Remember that your goal is to STAND OUT. If you have an experience or opportunity that most people won't have a chance to do (i.e., work for the California Public Health department, or doing research for the National Institute of Health, or becoming an organizer of a community healthfair), capitalize on it and showcase that. In my case, I really emphasized my experience developing educational materials for medical and dental schools and how I was able to interact with health professionals from many different professions. It's what you make of your experiences. Know what you have and go for it!