Take a year off or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timwonderer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So here's my situation.

I am a third year undergrad student and I am contemplating on whether I should apply to pharm school this cycle (eg. this fall). But there are something that is holding me back or telling me that I should take a year off.

1. My grade is pretty unimpressive. As of right now (Spring Quarter 2013, not counting this quarter's grade yet), my cumulative GPA stands at 2.79. If all goes well, by the time when the application is due (in November), the highest GPA that I can obtain is 3.0. Here is a breakdown of my science/math grades and Pre-req:

Math 20A, B, C, D = A-/B/C/C-
CHEM 6A, B, C = A/C/B
CHEM 7L (Gen Chem Lab) = B
CHEM 140 A,B,C = C/B+/C-
PHYS 2A,B = C-/C/
ECON 1: A

There are still some clases I need to take, but as you can see, my science/math/other pre-reqs are pretty bad. Also, if I am graduating next year (as in Spring 2014), I will have a few pre-req such as human physiology and microbiology not completed.

2. I have no pharmacy experience. I do have a pharmacy technician license, but I cannot find any place that would hire me (as far as I know in San Diego) due to the fact that I can't work full-time. Once, a pharmacy did offer me an opportunity but it would require me to work overnight shift, which is not possible for me since I still have classes during the day.

3. I can't furnish a kick-ass LORs in time for this cycle. I know some people said I absolutely need a pharmacist to write me a letter of req or at least a science prof, but unfortunately I don't have any of those. The closest thing I can think of is I can ask my current employer (I work in a lab part-time as a lab assistant), my public speaking instructor, and my chemistry lab TA to write me one. If a Greek professor's LOR would carry weight, I will do that too.

Since I am applying to mainly out of state (I'm in CA), I will still have a chance to get a good grade on my PCAT (which I am studying really hard on right now). But I don't think it can rescue a bad GPA, lack of experience, and lack of good LORs.

So, judging from where I am standing right now, the beautiful peeps of SDN, should I take a year off to 1) finish all my pre-reqs, 2) get a job as a pharm tech and, 3) wait till I can get a better LOR?

I know from the first glance, the answer would be a yes, however, I am thinking a lot more than what it might seems like a good idea. First of all, I have crap loads of student loan. Which means once I am out of school, I will have to start paying back in 6 months. So unless taking that 1 year off would significantly raise my chance in getting into a decent school, I would not do it.

Members don't see this ad.

I say apply. #1 it will give you experience in the application/interview process, #2 you may get in if you put in the effort to prepare (i.e. do well on the PCAT and nail your interviews). Even if you don't get in, the money you spend (~$500 or so not inc traveling fees) will be worth the experience. Personally I was going to wait another year because I was applying so late (I registered for the PCAT the last day it was available), didn't have anything ready, etc but decided to give it a shot. I got in.

I say apply. #1 it will give you experience in the application/interview process, #2 you may get in if you put in the effort to prepare (i.e. do well on the PCAT and nail your interviews). Even if you don't get in, the money you spend (~$500 or so not inc traveling fees) will be worth the experience. Personally I was going to wait another year because I was applying so late (I registered for the PCAT the last day it was available), didn't have anything ready, etc but decided to give it a shot. I got in.

Where would you suggest me applying this cycle then? I have composed a list of schools that I would apply to (Please don't laugh lol). I would say the list is consists of top 5 schools (according to US News), middle 5, and bottom 5 schools. Should I apply to the higher ones or the lower ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where would you suggest me applying this cycle then? I have composed a list of schools that I would apply to (Please don't laugh lol). I would say the list is consists of top 5 schools (according to US News), middle 5, and bottom 5 schools. Should I apply to the higher ones or the lower ones?

If you're going to apply just go for it all. You never know what could happen. I sent out my apps right before all their respective deadlines and got interviews for all of them. Got into some top schools and some not top schools.

I was definitely having this exact same debate in my head last week. We're the same age, and about the same GPA with similar pre-reqs remaining, and no "real" experience either. How are your Extra Curriculars? When are you taking the PCAT?

My decision was to jump in and go for it. Initially, I told myself I'd wait until next year.... and that whole time (3 days) just felt like it was the wrong move in the pit of my stomach. Now my stomach hurts for a different reason... the amount of things I've got to do to make myself the best applicant I can be this cycle!

I'm taking some summer classes to boost my GPA as much as possible and registered for the July PCAT even though I'd initially planned on September... and picking up LOADS of extra hours at work to pay for the summer classes (~$2500).

I also did research on schools, and am applying to one that I fell in love with Early Decision, because I've heard that that gives you a bit of an extra boost with AdComs (someone correct me if this is wrong... it'd save me a lot of stress if it weren't true!) And it will also hopefully save some money if I can get into this one right away... Do you have a school that seems to be your "favorite" so far?

I have a plan of rolling admissions schools I'd apply to if not accepted around November, and then A few last effort RD schools I could get to by the Jan. deadline.

Recoverer's post really helped me make my decision, and I know that I'm more than a GPA. This is what I know I want. My EC's are outstanding, and when I put my motivation into a PS, I know it will be outstanding also. I just plan to focus on the things I have done well, not worry about explaining what I haven't.

My big struggle will be the LOR's also. I'm hoping a summer professor of A&P, I have class with him every day 2 hours a day for 2 months, and there are 4 people in the class... so I will get to know him pretty well, hopefully have an A, and could ask him for that around the end of the course (end of July) to get his in by August... but I haven't even met him yet.
I work one job in a library and my boss there likes me, but I just had to ask for time off to take classes, so idk if he LOVES me anymore... And I'm doing my best to get into the Pharmacy of the grocery store I work my second job at... but she says she MIGHT be able to train me this summer. Either way, I don't know if she'll know me enough in time.

Could any of you suggest what we can do for our recommendations? Or anything we're overlooking or advice for us?

Essentially, though, I say let's do it. It's going to be hard work no matter when we try, and worst case scenario, we're trying again next year. I'd always have that "what if" if I waited!

I was definitely having this exact same debate in my head last week. We're the same age, and about the same GPA with similar pre-reqs remaining, and no "real" experience either. How are your Extra Curriculars? When are you taking the PCAT?

My decision was to jump in and go for it. Initially, I told myself I'd wait until next year.... and that whole time (3 days) just felt like it was the wrong move in the pit of my stomach. Now my stomach hurts for a different reason... the amount of things I've got to do to make myself the best applicant I can be this cycle!

I'm taking some summer classes to boost my GPA as much as possible and registered for the July PCAT even though I'd initially planned on September... and picking up LOADS of extra hours at work to pay for the summer classes (~$2500).

I also did research on schools, and am applying to one that I fell in love with Early Decision, because I've heard that that gives you a bit of an extra boost with AdComs (someone correct me if this is wrong... it'd save me a lot of stress if it weren't true!) And it will also hopefully save some money if I can get into this one right away... Do you have a school that seems to be your "favorite" so far?

I have a plan of rolling admissions schools I'd apply to if not accepted around November, and then A few last effort RD schools I could get to by the Jan. deadline.

Recoverer's post really helped me make my decision, and I know that I'm more than a GPA. This is what I know I want. My EC's are outstanding, and when I put my motivation into a PS, I know it will be outstanding also. I just plan to focus on the things I have done well, not worry about explaining what I haven't.

My big struggle will be the LOR's also. I'm hoping a summer professor of A&P, I have class with him every day 2 hours a day for 2 months, and there are 4 people in the class... so I will get to know him pretty well, hopefully have an A, and could ask him for that around the end of the course (end of July) to get his in by August... but I haven't even met him yet.
I work one job in a library and my boss there likes me, but I just had to ask for time off to take classes, so idk if he LOVES me anymore... And I'm doing my best to get into the Pharmacy of the grocery store I work my second job at... but she says she MIGHT be able to train me this summer. Either way, I don't know if she'll know me enough in time.

Could any of you suggest what we can do for our recommendations? Or anything we're overlooking or advice for us?

Essentially, though, I say let's do it. It's going to be hard work no matter when we try, and worst case scenario, we're trying again next year. I'd always have that "what if" if I waited!

Actually, I am taking my PCAT in July as well! :p Hopefully that's enough time to study because I absolutely sucked at biology (It's been like 4 years since I have taken any bio class). I thought maybe I will have a chance if I hit 90 percentile.

The schools I have in mind are pretty far-reaching because one of my friends in school told me that pharmacies actually do care about where you get your pharmD from so I'm reluctant to apply to just any school. Please verify if that's true.

So far I have UNC, UWash, UT Austin, Ohio State, and U Michigan in mind for this cycle. Should I also apply to schools that are lower ranked/not ranked? Are any of those school offering early decision? What are some good school (how silly of me!) that offers ED? Also, what school are you applying to?

In terms of my extracurricular activities, I don't have much in terms of school ones. I recently got a position as a medical supplies coordinator for an organization known as UAID at my school's chapter. Other than that, I am currently a lab assistant at a bio-pharm company. It's not that spectacular I know.

LOR's I am getting my 2 TA's to do it (Public Speaking and OChem Lab), my current employer/supervisor, and my humanities professor (since I don't have any science prof. that can write me one in time).

I'm glad I've found someone like you because I now know that I'm not alone! :D support group for the win!

LoRs are tough. Make sure you follow your school's guidelines as there can be differences. I would just ask the people who you think will write you the best letters, although ideally that would include at least 1 pharmacist, a professor, and someone from one of your ECs. Though I wouldn't stress about the titles of these individuals as much as I would about finding people who are friendly and would speak highly of you.

As far as preparing there are a few things you can do.

1) Is check out the SDN page that lists all of the schools. Choose your school(s) and look over some of the interview questions and interview feedback from people that have been there. Make a list of common questions asked there. There is also a PDF list of about 40 commonly asked questions at interviews. I don't have the file link but if you search you should be able to locate it. I would look over the list and create a general thought process for how you would tackle each question. I wouldn't create an in depth response, as you want to be able to respond to these questions naturally, not as if you were reading off a script.

2) Do some mock interviews. It may seem odd to do but I'd recruit a friend/family member to do some mock interviews with you. Take it seriously and have them conduct a "real" scenario where they go through some random questions and grade you on your responsiveness and other factors. If you can, video record yourself so you can see first hand where you can improve. Trust me, being prepared will help build some confidence in your actual interview and allow you to be more like yourself.

3) Make an amazing PS. There are a lot of PS resources out there. The main thing is to have as many people review it as possible. There is a PS proofreading section here on SDN. It goes underutilized. Your PS is really what may make or break your chances at that all important interview. You need to make sure it highlights your strengths, acknowledges your weaknesses and of course go into why you want to be a pharmacist.

Good luck!