Year off versus Applying This Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyc5614

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in a quandary here.

I finished all of my prerequisites last semester, but did not have time to study for the MCAT during the school year due to the birth of my son last summer. I started studying in June and am realizing that I would greatly benefit from another month of studying - my scores are going up fairly dramatically, and it's likely because I changed my method of studying. I'm scheduled to take it on Tuesday, but if I take it then, I'm guessing that my score will be around 28 versus another month, when I could reasonably see the range being 31-34 (I'm basing this on a blend of greatly slowing the rate of progress that I have recently had for AAMC exams and material that I still need to cover). I am enrolled to take biochem and A&P this year (in addition to a couple of other classes), so I would expect that these subjects would help my MCAT scores, although there is also the issue of possible decreasing proficiency in physics, organic, and chemistry as time since the class was last taken increases.

I have my name on one research publication currently, but will likely have my name on many more by next year. Also, I have been planning on volunteering at a clinic that serves the non-English speaking Hispanic community (I began to learn Spanish two years ago for this reason), so this would round out the clinical portion of my resume.

I'm already late in the cycle, and due to family constraints, I am applying to a very small number of schools. If the average MCAT score is 31 at my target school, does it make more sense for me to just wait and apply next year, while meanwhile I strengthen my application? Or should I take a chance and apply this year, knowing that my MCAT scores will not be where I want them? I would have to apply to the same schools next year if I don't get in this year, which I assume will be another disadvantage for me.

My cumulative GPA is around a 3.3 or so, with an upward trend for Post-Bacc (3.0 undergrad at a very selective school). I'm in a good post-bacc program and working in a very well-respected and known lab at a medical school. Here's the big thing, though: I'm already 31, and obviously I'd like to get on with it.

What would you do in my situation???

Members don't see this ad.

This is a tough one. It really depends on what schools you applied to, and how they're going to perceive you. Your GPA isn't high enough for comfort at MD schools (don't feel bad, mine's much worse), and without a strong MCAT to counter that, you're at the mercy of eyeballs. You need those eyeballs to love your personal statement and your ECs, and then love your interview, and then fight for you against high-GPA applicants that they also love.

One problem here is that a compromised app season puts you in limbo. If you might get accepted this year, where's the motivation to improve your MCAT in case you don't?

If you were in Mississippi or Oklahoma or one of the other states with a powerful in-state preference and much lower competition, I'd say absolutely go for it. But in NY, hmmm, this is a tough one.

Best of luck to you.

This is a tough one. It really depends on what schools you applied to, and how they're going to perceive you. Your GPA isn't high enough for comfort at MD schools (don't feel bad, mine's much worse), and without a strong MCAT to counter that, you're at the mercy of eyeballs. You need those eyeballs to love your personal statement and your ECs, and then love your interview, and then fight for you against high-GPA applicants that they also love.
Best of luck to you.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting, Dr. Midlife. I know I wrote a lot, and you obviously read it all. As for the MCAT, that's the thing - I think that as a non-trad, they're already going to be weighting my MCAT (much) heavier than a traditional student. What I keep having trouble with is that my story is very unique, but that being said, I think that it's going to make more sense to apply next year. That way I can apply more broadly - it will be easier for me to justify sacrificing our current health insurance (my husband has a chronic illness, although currently healthy) for a very good school, but not quite the same to ask him to find a new job and move for a bottom-tier school. (It wouldn't matter to me, but it would likely matter to him).

Incidentally, I'm located in IL now, but the nearest school would require me to live away from home...hence the reason I'm afraid of burning bridges at schools near my house by not having my application in as good shape as it can possibly be. If I'm looking at things from a cost basis, it makes much more sense to wait a year and get my application in order considering the money we could save by not having to relocate if I was admitted entrance to a medical school nearby.

Members don't see this ad :)
My gut feeling would be to wait a year too. I could have been ready to apply this year, but chose to wait a year so that my kids would be older and my MCAT prep would be more leisurely and thorough. A year's a long time to wait, but less at 31 than at 21, I find. :)

I also think it's incredibly important for your spouse to be as fully on board as possible and waiting a year sounds like that would be more likely for you as well. Good luck with everything.

I agree with the previous poster. I also chose to wait an extra year so that my application would be as good as it can get. Many posters have said to only apply when you are at your best as a medical school applicant. And I know exactly how you feel with being 31 and ready to get on with it. Good Luck:):)