year-off research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssa915

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My history: I just completed my 2nd year and will be taking step 1 in a couple weeks. I just recently narrowed down the fields I am interested in and they are all competitive (rads, ophtho, uro, derm, anesthesiology). I come from a DO school.

My question: is it worth it to take a year of now between MS1 and MS2 to do research. And is it too late in the year to find a research position that will be worth while? I know the NIH, DorisDuke, and the like require you to apply well in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My history: I just completed my 2nd year and will be taking step 1 in a couple weeks. I just recently narrowed down the fields I am interested in and they are all competitive (rads, ophtho, uro, derm, anesthesiology). I come from a DO school.

My question: is it worth it to take a year of now between MS1 and MS2 to do research. And is it too late in the year to find a research position that will be worth while? I know the NIH, DorisDuke, and the like require you to apply well in advance.
The single best thing to do at this point is to do well on Step I. So focus on that and don't come out until that's taken care of. Next best thing to do is to kill your clinicals. After that, realize that if you've done them well enough, grades and Step I are all you need to get into those fields. A year of research isn't going to make a non-competitive Uro applicant suddenly competitive.

You want to do a fellowship between your 2nd and 3rd year? Or between 3rd and 4th year? If you are thinking between 2nd and 3rd, sorry to break it to you but there is no chance in that happening. All the programs have already started, and all the hoops you have to jump through to get a leave of absence and permission from your dean will take more time and man power than you would think. It is very idealistic to think you can take boards and then turn around and set up a research fellowship in 2 weeks or less.

I might be reading too much into this, but your post makes it sound like you want to do a research fellowship to make yourself a stronger applicant for residency? While many might do a research fellowship for this goal in mind, it really is the wrong reason for doing a fellowship. Also if you don't have any interest in research or an academic career, the year off will be brutal for you since you wont enjoy it or have any passion. If you are worried about not having any research experience/publications before applying to residency; you can always jump on a case report or two with an attending. Also during 4th year you can see if your school will let you can take 1 or 2 month long research electives and see if you can get something productive done in that time (will be very hard but maybe you can get a poster or abstract). There are also many residents that match into competitive specialties with little or no research experience in medical school. Honestly, don't do the research fellowship thing if you just want to make yourself more competitive and that is it. It will really show when you write your personal statement, when you look for a potential mentor, when you speak to the program leadership, when you interview for the fellowship...etc. If you are interested in research/academic medicine, then you next bet is to prepare for doing one between 3rd-4th year. Read the FAQ. Start on your personal statement this fall. Get your LOR lined up. Talk to your advisor and dean to let them know what you are thinking about doing to get the ball rolling. So really, 2010-2011 is your best bet. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to do a fellowship between your 2nd and 3rd year? Or between 3rd and 4th year? If you are thinking between 2nd and 3rd, sorry to break it to you but there is no chance in that happening. All the programs have already started, and all the hoops you have to jump through to get a leave of absence and permission from your dean will take more time and man power than you would think. It is very idealistic to think you can take boards and then turn around and set up a research fellowship in 2 weeks or less.

I might be reading too much into this, but your post makes it sound like you want to do a research fellowship to make yourself a stronger applicant for residency? While many might do a research fellowship for this goal in mind, it really is the wrong reason for doing a fellowship. Also if you don't have any interest in research or an academic career, the year off will be brutal for you since you wont enjoy it or have any passion. If you are worried about not having any research experience/publications before applying to residency; you can always jump on a case report or two with an attending. Also during 4th year you can see if your school will let you can take 1 or 2 month long research electives and see if you can get something productive done in that time (will be very hard but maybe you can get a poster or abstract). There are also many residents that match into competitive specialties with little or no research experience in medical school. Honestly, don't do the research fellowship thing if you just want to make yourself more competitive and that is it. It will really show when you write your personal statement, when you look for a potential mentor, when you speak to the program leadership, when you interview for the fellowship...etc. If you are interested in research/academic medicine, then you next bet is to prepare for doing one between 3rd-4th year. Read the FAQ. Start on your personal statement this fall. Get your LOR lined up. Talk to your advisor and dean to let them know what you are thinking about doing to get the ball rolling. So really, 2010-2011 is your best bet. Good luck.

First of all, thanks for the great feedback.

I was thinking of doing research, not necessarily a formal fellowship program. I know the ones I listed require you to apply months in advance, but in the short time I have, I could find a spot in someones lab and hopefully be able to gain something useful out of that (ie. publication or a good reference). As far as getting excused from the dean, that won't be a problem. I actually am interested in doing research, not just to strengthen my application, I just haven't had the time for it in the last couple years. But at the same time, I have to be realistic and not get involved in something that isn't going anywhere. I want that year to be useful. The other option of course is, like you said, doing research 3rd-4th year but I am guessing you want that time to prepare for the match (eg. the SF match which is earlier) and make use of your electives?

First of all, thanks for the great feedback.

I was thinking of doing research, not necessarily a formal fellowship program. I know the ones I listed require you to apply months in advance, but in the short time I have, I could find a spot in someones lab and hopefully be able to gain something useful out of that (ie. publication or a good reference). As far as getting excused from the dean, that won't be a problem. I actually am interested in doing research, not just to strengthen my application, I just haven't had the time for it in the last couple years. But at the same time, I have to be realistic and not get involved in something that isn't going anywhere. I want that year to be useful. The other option of course is, like you said, doing research 3rd-4th year but I am guessing you want that time to prepare for the match (eg. the SF match which is earlier) and make use of your electives?
First I would make the decision whether yuo want to take a research year or not. That heavily depends on whay tou think it will get you - be it research training, pubs, connections, a beefier CV for ERAS.

I am of the opnion that only the former should be your reason for taking a year off. Step I and clinical grades are the prime determinants of what residencies you can apply for, and no amount of research will outweigh a poor Step or clinical. If you don't believe me, look at the thread entitled "You know what? Nevermind" in the MD/PhD forum.

Heck, when I was at the NIH, one of my interviewers was a surgeon in specialty X, and he had a med student taking a year off in his lab. The doc tells me this student wants to go into specialty X more than anything, but she likely won't Match because she doesn't have the Step score for it, despite her research work.

Another anectdote - a buddy of mine spends every weekend and free minute over the last 3 years doing research with famous professor in surgical specialty Y. My friend is a smart, hard-working guy who wants nothing more than to be in specialty Y. The famous professor moved away, and now that connection is essentially gone.

So that's why I say that it's not worth it to do a research year for anything other than research training. So if you are interested for that reason, then wait a year. Take a year off after MS3. You'll be surprised at the changes in your confidence with clinical medicine and working with patients. You will be much more useful to any PI because you'll have a better understanding of the constraints of clinical medicine. And you'll be able to apply for those competitive fellowships and get a really good experience.

But at this point, I say focus on Step 1, as that is the next best thing you can improve and thereby enhance your chances/oppoertunities down the line. After that, if you really want the research, in your situation it might be best to wait. Something to consider.

Last edited: