Year off this late in the game...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about taking a year off and I've only decided to do this right now. I know the deadlines for the most of the more popular fellowships (HHMI, DD, etc.) have already passed. What are my options now? Is there like some database of grants or something I can look into? Keep in mind I dont even have a project set yet so there's still a good 6 weeks (I'm also on OB/GYN right now so I have limited time, the rest of my third year is chill though) before I can apply to anything.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm thinking about taking a year off and I've only decided to do this right now. I know the deadlines for the most of the more popular fellowships (HHMI, DD, etc.) have already passed. What are my options now? Is there like some database of grants or something I can look into? Keep in mind I dont even have a project set yet so there's still a good 6 weeks (I'm also on OB/GYN right now so I have limited time, the rest of my third year is chill though) before I can apply to anything.

I'd check with your school to see if there are any in-house year off fellowships to apply for. I know the HHMI fellowships, Doris Duke, Sarnoff, and AHA deadlines have passed, but you may able to take time to do research if a PI is willing to pay you a stipend for a year.

Good luck!

Year-Off Training Program for Graduate or Medical Students
http://www.training.nih.gov/student/Pre-IRTA/previewinterim.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
Year-Off Training Program for Graduate or Medical Students
http://www.training.nih.gov/student/Pre-IRTA/previewinterim.asp
This is one place to start. At this late date, I'd also just mass email a bunch of the researchers at the NIH directly and see who responds.

Also look at the FAQ at the top of the forum. I linked to a website that has a huge list of research opportunities for med students.

On another issue, why did you decide now? I've been going back and forth about taking a year off myself. I was told that taking a year late in med school may be seen as a temporizing measure for a bad record - not saying that's your case, but that may be what PDs think when they see it took you 5 years to graduate.

If you search the EM forum for "year-off" you'll see I recently posted a question about research years, and I got some interesting responses.

This is one place to start. At this late date, I'd also just mass email a bunch of the researchers at the NIH directly and see who responds.

Also look at the FAQ at the top of the forum. I linked to a website that has a huge list of research opportunities for med students.

On another issue, why did you decide now? I've been going back and forth about taking a year off myself. I was told that taking a year late in med school may be seen as a temporizing measure for a bad record - not saying that's your case, but that may be what PDs think when they see it took you 5 years to graduate.

If you search the EM forum for "year-off" you'll see I recently posted a question about research years, and I got some interesting responses.

Well nothing to do with a bad record or anything (got honors in all my rotations so far except peds[HP] and a 263 on step 1). I've just been thinking a lot more about doing academic medicine and I want to take a year off to see if it's for me. I also never took off any time at all so I'm looking to do other things (get back into teaching, the gym, become more well-rounded, etc.). Let me know if that sounds like a stupid idea.

1) Depending on where you want to go (speciality-wise), research may not be needed. I saw you posted in the Optho forum, and while that's a hard match, I would think good clinicals and your Step score will get you where you want to go without another year.

2) Why not go to an academic residency? Residencies with academic components (research opportunities, links to fellowships, a good name, etc.) are more than enough to get many residents into academics. And in such a place, I'm sure you'll know if academia is a good fit for you.

3) You will teach as a resident.

4) I doubt anyone will care if you're well-rounded with that record (of course, talk to your profs to see what you need for optho).

It's not a bad idea, your reasons just seem soft. Everything you've stated (with the exception of exercise, which is dependent on you) you can get elsewhere without taking another year.

1) Depending on where you want to go (speciality-wise), research may not be needed. I saw you posted in the Optho forum, and while that's a hard match, I would think good clinicals and your Step score will get you where you want to go without another year.

2) Why not go to an academic residency? Residencies with academic components (research opportunities, links to fellowships, a good name, etc.) are more than enough to get many residents into academics. And in such a place, I'm sure you'll know if academia is a good fit for you.

3) You will teach as a resident.

4) I doubt anyone will care if you're well-rounded with that record (of course, talk to your profs to see what you need for optho).

It's not a bad idea, your reasons just seem soft. Everything you've stated (with the exception of exercise, which is dependent on you) you can get elsewhere without taking another year.

never posted in optho. im thinking about going into ENT. ENT has a lot of 7 year residencies that incorporate 2 years of research into their program. Most of those programs are at the top though (eg. Hopkins) so that's not a guarantee either. I guess maybe I should try that route. I've got my month long ENT elective coming up after OB/Gyn so I'll see what they have to say.

And about the whole "I doubt anyone will care if you're well-rounded" comment. I just want to stress that my year off is not to impress anyone or compensate for something, it's actually truly for myself.

never posted in optho. im thinking about going into ENT. ENT has a lot of 7 year residencies that incorporate 2 years of research into their program. Most of those programs are at the top though (eg. Hopkins) so that's not a guarantee either. I guess maybe I should try that route. I've got my month long ENT elective coming up after OB/Gyn so I'll see what they have to say.

And about the whole "I doubt anyone will care if you're well-rounded" comment. I just want to stress that my year off is not to impress anyone or compensate for something, it's actually truly for myself.
Sorry - I meant ENT (which is also a tough Match :laugh:). Since time is of the essence, I wouldn't wait until next month to find out what the ENT guys say about your chances of matching at one of these research programs. See them ASAP, because if they agree with your choice of taking a year off, you can spend that time mass-emailing NIH guys (or whatever you choose to do to get a position). And I tell you - if you make a generic 2-line email + generic cover letter + CV, you can email 20 researchers in ~30 min. One of them is bound to respond positively.