Year off pre-fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HDMTX

GU Med Onc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying for fellowship starting 2007 and will have a year off as I'm finishing IM next summer, but then realized that I can only take the ABIM in mid-August 2006 at the earliest and that it takes up to three months to get results and certification before I can actually apply for a job as a board certified hospitalist... so I was wondering what other people would choose to do if they had a year off pre fellowship? I figured moonlighting would be a pain because it'd be too inconsistent likely.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

HDMTX said:
So I'm applying for fellowship starting 2007 and will have a year off as I'm finishing IM next summer, but then realized that I can only take the ABIM in mid-August 2006 at the earliest and that it takes up to three months to get results and certification before I can actually apply for a job as a board certified hospitalist... so I was wondering what other people would choose to do if they had a year off pre fellowship? I figured moonlighting would be a pain because it'd be too inconsistent likely.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. ;)

If you so desire, you can start a job as a hospitalist on July 1st, 2006, the day after you finish residency. You will be hired as a "board eligible" internal medicine physician, and then be "board certified" after passing boards (will not find out for several months). Personally, I would take some time off and travel first before you start a hospitalist or any other job- it may be your last chance at an extended vactation until you retire...