Year-by-year of Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stee674

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Pre-Pharm in the Spring, and I'm so overwhelmed with all there is to do. I have a good idea of how everything works, but I haven't been able to find a good description of the overall way things work at Pharmacy school. Like are the first two years in class, and then rotations? And when does a residency come into play? Any feedback on how things will play out from the time I enter Pharmacy school until I get a job would be great!! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I just switched to Pre-Pharm in the Spring, and I'm so overwhelmed with all there is to do. I have a good idea of how everything works, but I haven't been able to find a good description of the overall way things work at Pharmacy school. Like are the first two years in class, and then rotations? And when does a residency come into play? Any feedback on how things will play out from the time I enter Pharmacy school until I get a job would be great!! Thanks guys!

I can only comment on a four year pharmacy program, because I have no idea how the other types of programs operate.

Yes, you have classes for the first two years but also during the third year too. The fourth year is usually rotations.
A residency comes into play after you graduate pharmacy school. They are optional programs, but you really need residency experience if you want to be a clinical pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! If a residency program is optional but definitely recommended, why wouldn't you do one? And also, how long are they and if there is a salary what is it? I know residency programs for doctors are very long with low salaries. How does a pharmacy one compare?

Year 1 - Do nothing. Enjoy it like you enjoyed getting laid the first time....because after this, it just gets less and less interesting.
Year 2 - Become an anxious, overworked mess. Start becoming alcoholic...get Xanax prescibed
Year 3 - Still harder than year 1, but not as bad as year 2. You will likely stop caring about school roughly around December. Grades likely will plummet.
Year 4 - Kiss ass for 11 four-week blocks of time. Try not to think about the fact you are essentially a slave.

Graduate.

Year 1 - Do nothing. Enjoy it like you enjoyed getting laid the first time....because after this, it just gets less and less interesting.
Year 2 - Become an anxious, overworked mess. Start becoming alcoholic...get Xanax prescibed
Year 3 - Still harder than year 1, but not as bad as year 2. You will likely stop caring about school roughly around December. Grades likely will plummet.
Year 4 - Kiss ass for 11 four-week blocks of time. Try not to think about the fact you are essentially a slave.

Graduate.

lol well put!

Thanks! If a residency program is optional but definitely recommended, why wouldn't you do one? And also, how long are they and if there is a salary what is it? I know residency programs for doctors are very long with low salaries. How does a pharmacy one compare?

Well, you might not do one because you are already quite old (like me) and don't want to wait one or two more years to start getting the benefit of this very expensive education:) Another reason might be that your grades in pharmacy school aren't that good and therefore you don't qualify for the available residencies. A third reason not to might be that you plan to do retail pharmacy, and at the moment I'm not sure what the incentive would be from a typical retail employer to do the extra year before taking a job. Not saying it would be a bad idea to have a community residency - just not sure what the payoff would be, if any.