yeah !! got my scores today 99 %ile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi friends
i'm so happy i scored 99 -comp score in NBDE-1 . i had appeared on june 10 ,2009...........its a dream come true.:laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes i did post to tell u the score
but in the sense that i could be of some help if possible

Congratulations!
What books did you study from and for how long? Are you a recent graduate? Tell us a little bit about your study method. Thanks

Congrats dentok :thumbup:,well it would be gr8 if u can tell us about ur prepn material and timeperiod of study.did u do any exams like crack the nbde n stuff like that.If so how far did it help? :idea:

well i graduated 7 years ago and came to canada 6 mos back.i studied 12-14 hrs daily from the following books:
1. know the newer dental decks through and through.
2. biochemistry-lippincott
3. microbiology and pathology-kaplan (and lange as reference)
4. dental anatomy -kaplan and wheelers 3d cd
5. anatomy - kaplan
6. plus i did all the released papers twice to be honest
steinbacher - q and a -not very helpful
no other book is helpful .as I also know about crack the nbde , a friend of mine owns it he says not so helpful and i do agree with him.
just stick to the basic concepts .
i prepared everything in 4 months.
lay more stress on scoring topics in microbiology,physiology,DA and anatomy
brainstorm on immunology,virology, physiology concepts in every system esp.respiratory,renal,gastrointestinal system,hormones
path-respiratory
biochem-cycles ,related diseases,aminoacids
try to complete biochem first and keep it for restudying for last 2 days
path the second then physiology which u need badly for conceptual questions everywhere.and last but not the least each aspect of dental anatomy.
after this i completed the decks 3-4 times and kept those decks aside which i regularly forgot for last moment
no need to do theory books for dental anatomy
then last month for tests that are timed exactly as on test day though old tests are of no use these days do them if u have time.newer tests are of greater help.
then i did steinbacher q and a which was helpful only in a few concepts
i think 4 months are enough for this may be 5 months to the maximum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Greatttt yarr ...congrats for your achievement and good luck :thumbup:

well i graduated 7 years ago and came to canada 6 mos back.i studied 12-14 hrs daily from the following books:
5. anatomy - kaplan
no other book is helpful .as I also know about crack the nbde , a friend of mine owns it he says not so helpful and i do agree with him.
brainstorm on immunology,virology, physiology concepts in every system esp.respiratory,renal,gastrointestinal system,hormones
path-respiratory
path the second then physiology which u need badly for conceptual questions everywhere.and last but not the least each aspect of dental anatomy.
after this i completed the decks 3-4 times and kept those decks aside which i regularly forgot for last moment
then last month for tests that are timed exactly as on test day though old tests are of no use these days do them if u have time.newer tests are of greater help.

Hi Dentok,
Congratulation for a wonderful score.
Good luck for your future.
I have exam in 1st week of Aug.Can you give me some hints for what to read in a week before exam. Did you use Kaplan q bank?
Thanks.

my raw score is:
micro/path-96
anatomy-89
biochem/physio-86
dental anatomy-96

Congratulations on your great score Dentok !!!!
I am sure you will be able to achieve all the goals you have dream about in your dental career, way to go !!!
Thank you for all the recommendations you have shared throughout this thread :)

Hi Dentok,
Congratulation for a wonderful score.
Good luck for your future.
I have exam in 1st week of Aug.Can you give me some hints for what to read in a week before exam. Did you use Kaplan q bank?
Thanks.
  • read anatomy in 1 day it will really help,especially head and neck
  • stress on physiology concepts they r always faithful,:idea:
  • microbiology should be done 2 days before exam as it helps retention-concentrate on immunology and viruses, fungi
  • can omit pathology except respiratory and bone
  • biochem reactions on last day with the associated diseases (i did from lippincott--so just revised it):thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Dentok,

congrats for such a marvelous score!!!this is unbelievable....So when you wrote your test were you sure about this score.....

I did my graduation 3 years back from India and then I was out of touch from my books...but now I am back in the game.....I am writing the test in November 2009.....I am studying thoroughly from my text books and then I learn dental decks for those topics thoroughly and then I solve ASDA Papers.....Do you think this is a good study plan?

I have also ordered NBDE Part 1 and Kaplan Dentessentials.....What do you think about these books....and I dont have Kaplan materials...Do you think I can survive If I read from my books thoroughly and dont use Kaplan Materials......

Thanks in Advance

even i did my B.D.S from India and was out of touch for 7 years. i took the test in june 1st week 2009. No doubt kaplan book is helpful in some subjects but if ur basic concepts are clear then its ok. keep ASDA papers for the last month for timed preparation as this will ace u for the exam. do dental decks thoroughly and refer ur text books. no need to study from wheelers or orbans kaplan is sufficien for it.
no need for dentessentials .

Thanks for the suggestion.....So do you think I should have the Kaplan book?
Because I do not have it right now....I was just wondering if it is okay not to have one.....Can you please advice me...thanks

Congrats on your excellent score ..... I am an Indian too graduated 9years back..... It was great reading all ur advice...... I have just began studying physio n biochem ....n do so from the USMLE videos ..... as I want my basics good...... but some of my friends keep telling me I'm wasting my time as that's too vast a study..... But don't u think knowing something from the basics helps????
Please advice me .
My best wishes for your future endeavours.

Congrats on your excellent score ..... I am an Indian too graduated 9years back..... It was great reading all ur advice...... I have just began studying physio n biochem ....n do so from the USMLE videos ..... as I want my basics good...... but some of my friends keep telling me I'm wasting my time as that's too vast a study..... But don't u think knowing something from the basics helps????
Please advice me .

Hi Melary
I too graduated 9 yrs back from India and I am also planning to take the exam soon. If you would like to study together, PM me and we can help each other

Thank you so much for ur suggestions and valuable information...could u plz guide me for dental anatomy? i see here everybody is refering wheeler...we did dental anatomy from orban's and tecate, so u think i should start reading wheeler now, or nbde 1st aid and kaplan enough? i know fr occlusion 1st six ch of okeson r imp ? i've abt 4-5 months...it'd be really great if u can guide me for dental anatomy...thanks in advance

hi,
even i am planning to take my exam in nov.did my bds from india.i was wondering is nov too late.do u think we will be able to apply to colleges once we get our result coz most of the deadlines are in september.

hey congratulations fr such a grt score..

i need to knw somethng, im doin pathology, and really confused, all the books have somethng extra in them, nbde frst aid i think is nt enuf?
is tht true/>
u did frm usmle kaplan lecture notes or from kaplan nbde review books,,
as of now im listening to goljan lecture and thn stdyn frm frst aid..

now tht the pattern has changed i dnt want to rely much on the old xams?
how r path questions put on the xam?

hi,
even i am planning to take my exam in nov.did my bds from india.i was wondering is nov too late.do u think we will be able to apply to colleges once we get our result coz most of the deadlines are in september.

HI Anniestar, I know I thought About it but the thing is that I want to give myself enough time to study as I have been out of school for 3 years.....and if by God`s grace we get good score, we can apply to some universities like New York which accept till January....and if not we can apply next year and in the time being we can improve our credentials.....

As it is very important to get good scores the first time...because even if you get good score second time, the scores of the first time always matter....

Thats why I want to give myself sufficient time because it is my first time for the test.....

So Is it your first time.....and how long have you been studying.......

Please advice me .

Hi Melary,
I am also preparing for the test.....I just want to suggest to you that knowing from the basic is REALLY important.......it will definitely help you in your test.....because the test tests your BASIC KNOWLEDGE......So it is not a waste of time.......it really helps

ya its my first attemt.i finished my internship in 2006.i just started few days back with kaplan review notes.

5. anatomy - kaplan
path-respiratory

congratulation on your mark i hope you get into the speciality that u want

i have a question when you say kaplan do you mean dent essentials or the lecture notes which ones would you recommend
thank you
regards

hi friends
i'm so happy i scored 99 -comp score in NBDE-1 . i had appeared on june 10 ,2009...........its a dream come true.:laugh::laugh:

Congratulations!
99 percentile - Great!
Hard work pays off .. :)
May your career be rewarding, successful and abundant..

Thank you so much for ur suggestions and valuable information...could u plz guide me for dental anatomy? i see here everybody is refering wheeler...we did dental anatomy from orban's and tecate, so u think i should start reading wheeler now, or nbde 1st aid and kaplan enough? i know fr occlusion 1st six ch of okeson r imp ? i've abt 4-5 months...it'd be really great if u can guide me for dental anatomy...thanks in advance
buddy u r going way ahead and off target.for acing the exam u have to be precise . just do kaplan review and dental decks which will be enough.
by wheeler i mean just for reference if u stumble on some difficulty .just need to see the 3d cd once thats enough. don't go beyond that.clear ur concepts from kaplan review book and decks.:thumbup:

congratulation on your mark i hope you get into the speciality that u want

i have a question when you say kaplan do you mean dent essentials or the lecture notes which ones would you recommend
thank you
regards

just kaplan review book not dent essentials .

hey congratulations fr such a grt score..

i need to knw somethng, im doin pathology, and really confused, all the books have somethng extra in them, nbde frst aid i think is nt enuf?
is tht true/>
u did frm usmle kaplan lecture notes or from kaplan nbde review books,,
as of now im listening to goljan lecture and thn stdyn frm frst aid..

now tht the pattern has changed i dnt want to rely much on the old xams?
how r path questions put on the xam?
just read robbins pocket edition that i referred or kaplan NDBE review book
no need to do extra it will not help. plus do decks nothing beyond that:thumbup:

Thanks for the suggestion.....So do you think I should have the Kaplan book?
Because I do not have it right now....I was just wondering if it is okay not to have one.....Can you please advice me...thanks
it may
help u in DA, anatomy , some biochem,physiology
so i think it is good to have one.

Please advice me .

these lectures may help but they are way beyond NBDE. they
will clear ur concepts ,as i viewed them ,but they r not helpful so to save time and be focussed limit ur target

congrats on such an excellent score. i am planning to write the boards too. was busy with eligibility exam in canada. would it be possible to get
ur email address

Hi,
Please tell me one thing-have you gone through entire book of Lippincott's Biochemistry?????You did not use NBDE review book???
One more thing is you said do all the latest question papers.Do you expand the latest q papers from which year to which year????
Thanks a lot in advance........

Are there any differences in the 2006-2007 from the newer 2009-2010 dental decks? I'm studying from 06'-07' dental decks does it matter?

Hi DDS 79,

There is a lot of difference between the latest and the older ones.It is better for you to read from new decks.Because it orients you to reading trickish questions.It's my view.It depends on person to person.
Are there any differences in the 2006-2007 from the newer 2009-2010 dental decks? I'm studying from 06'-07' dental decks does it matter?

Honestly i compared the two and only found small tiny differences if any
i didnt see the new trcisk ur talking about if you compare the cards i can say that 95% of the cards are identical if not more an the other ones are just slightly modified with no info added

Hi,
I desperately need some help here, i will be writing the exam in September this yr.When you say Kaplan for biochem/patho-micro and anatomy, which book exactly are you referring to? Also where do i get released papers from, ASDA? which set should i buy? Desperately seeking some info,
Shika.

congrats on such an excellent score. i am planning to write the boards too. was busy with eligibility exam in canada. would it be possible to get
ur email address
you can post ur q on private folder of my sdn

ur email address

Congrats...you absolutely ROCK !!!
Thanks for such helpful suggestions.
Q- Wer did you study and revise Physio from?

I did my physiology from pocket companion to guyton and hall
and kaplan then decks:idea:

Hi,
I desperately need some help here, i will be writing the exam in September this yr.When you say Kaplan for biochem/patho-micro and anatomy, which book exactly are you referring to? Also where do i get released papers from, ASDA? which set should i buy? Desperately seeking some info,
Shika.
hi shika,
a lot of people seem to be confused about kaplan
I used Kaplan review notes 2009 which comes as a single book not much different from older ones except few additions and deletions.
I have new one as i joined kaplan 3 months course
it is not dentessentials or first aid
u can have ASDA from H-M released from anywhere:thumbup:

Honestly i compared the two and only found small tiny differences if any
i didnt see the new trcisk ur talking about if you compare the cards i can say that 95% of the cards are identical if not more an the other ones are just slightly modified with no info added

friends 5% means something :luck:
for example if a person scores 330 he may score 93% on the other hand ,
if a person scores 98 or 99 the difference is 5-6% :)

Hi,
Please tell me one thing-have you gone through entire book of Lippincott's Biochemistry?????You did not use NBDE review book???
One more thing is you said do all the latest question papers.Do you expand the latest q papers from which year to which year????
Thanks a lot in advance........

hi dentbaby,
it is true that i studied lippincott 3-4 times and that really helped but don't bother if u got less time but at the same time I also did NBDE review book if u r talking of Kaplan's ( no doubt this is too small proportion of what should be read ).
by latest q's i meant from ASDA H-M
but u can do all it doesn't bother much if u do the rest of them subject wise