Yale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elburrito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There isn't any review about Yale residency at scutwork.com...I heard they lost a few residency during the past few consecutive years for AP/CP. Normally this would be a red flag at any other program, but it's Yale people. If you had the chance to go there for AP/CP, would you?

Yes. I think their program is pretty awesome. The residents are great, the faculty is great, and the training seems excellent both in AP AND CP.

I think that the training at Yale is very intense, much like at MGH, WashU, and other similar top programs. While on my interviews I felt that there are still people who go into Path thinking that it's a cushy residency and at some places it really is. Yale works you hard and you have take in-house weekend call, if I remember correctly. I don't know why people left the program (I asked while I was there... and it was stated as "personal reasons"). But suspect if may have something to do with this. It could also just be that they didn't want to be pathologists, or that their parents died...

It may sound bad that they lost a few residents but they lost ONE resident in the last two years. That probably happens everywhere. My impression was that the residents are happy with their choice to go there.

It may sound bad that they lost a few residents but they lost ONE resident in the last two years. That probably happens everywhere. My impression was that the residents are happy with their choice to go there.

I too thought that the program was solid. I asked explicitly why they had lost one resident each year for the last two years and I was informed that in one case the resident chose to no longer pursue a career in medicine (to be with family etc).

One unique feature of their program is that they have instituted a back up system such that should a resident again leave unexpectedly, they can make individual rotations "resident independant" wherein they can have a PA sub in for the missing resident. It is a testament to the program's dedication to teaching and their willingness to keep a high level of morale of their residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
One unique feature of their program is that they have instituted a back up system such that should a resident again leave unexpectedly, they can make individual rotations "resident independant" wherein they can have a PA sub in for the missing resident. It is a testament to the program's dedication to teaching and their willingness to keep a high level of morale of their residents.

That, or a testament to the fact that they have resigned themselves to a relatively high attrition rate... :D

Just playing devils advocate...

BH

Yale was great once, slid into mediocrity then was outright horrible and now is coming back. Would I go there? No. There are too many other good places with a more solid track record IMO. But it is now in such a state that it warrants some attention from applicants.

"leave medicine and stay with family?" under that cover is that the resident leaving the program could not find another position for all kind of possible reasons.

the surgpath volume at yale is not that high. how come the training there is so tense? at least one wierd thing about yale is when they select candidates for interview, they do not read much candidates' doc.

Did anyone who interviewed with them receive some kind of feedbacks?

"leave medicine and stay with family?" under that cover is that the resident leaving the program could not find another position for all kind of possible reasons.

the surgpath volume at yale is not that high. how come the training there is so tense? at least one wierd thing about yale is when they select candidates for interview, they do not read much candidates' doc.

Its not that high at Penn either (I think even less) and their surgpath fellows get dogged from what I've heard.

Sometimes old school places think they can abuse just because of their name. What do you mean "read much candidates doc"?

Originally Posted by pedro
Did anyone who interviewed with them receive some kind of feedbacks?

I think they sent an e-mails approx 1 week after I interviewed there, and I heard that they did similarly to many other applicants. I also got a phone calls from the PD about 2 weeks before the deadline.

... yes, having fun with OP's grammar...

I didn't get an email, but I did get a phone call.

Yale is a good program, but I just don't want to live in New Haven for four years. If I ended up matching there, I'd be happy though.

Its not that high at Penn either (I think even less) and their surgpath fellows get dogged from what I've heard.

Sometimes old school places think they can abuse just because of their name.

wow, I never heard anyone say anything bad about Penn. That's definitely a first. I was under the impression that Penn was top notch and as good as MGH, Stanford etc.

wow, I never heard anyone say anything bad about Penn. That's definitely a first. I was under the impression that Penn was top notch and as good as MGH, Stanford etc.

I think he was implying that Penn is top notch, and Penn believes that because they are top notch they can scut/overwork their people...

Just because someplace is top notch doesn't mean no one says anything bad about them. In fact I would go so far as to say if you never hear anything negative about any program you aren't getting the full picture.

I was a good MSIV candidate interested in the Northeast, and I did not waste my time at Yale. I didn't rank Penn, because I could sense the misery when I interviewed there.

To be fair, things may have changed/may be changing at both programs.

I was a good MSIV candidate interested in the Northeast, and I did not waste my time at Yale. I didn't rank Penn, because I could sense the misery when I interviewed there.

To be fair, things may have changed/may be changing at both programs.

Haha... I felt the same at Penn....

Anyway, I do think that Yale is a good program and worth checking out at least (same as Penn).

their pathology website makes it seem a little more laid back than described here. From what I remember reading, they only take in house call during certain hours (I think they said average for surgpath was until 6 or 7pm) then the rest is at home call (esp for CP). I could be mistaken. I do remember thinking Yale sounded less stressful than many others I have read about.

The call description is pretty standard for most places. I don't know of many programs that have you take in house call. Normally when you are on call for frozens you stay until they are done. At our place that can be anywhere from 5pm until 8 or 9pm, usually close to 8pm.