Yale's Pathology?? MALIGNANT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PATHMS4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, any reviews about Yale's pathology program. I interviewed there and it has been labeled Malignant ??? How true is that??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What were your own perceptions, given that you interviewed there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, any reviews about Yale's pathology program. I interviewed there and it has been labeled Malignant ??? How true is that??

I apologize for even bringing that question up in my reply to an earlier post. I have to clarify that I did NOT feel it was a malignant program and that I liked my visit a ton. I also feel like the two residents I've kept in touch with at the program are pretty honest people who have said great things about Yale.

I think the problem with the 'malignant' label is that people have varying definitions of it. If you think it means working hard, then wow there are tons of malignant programs out there. If it means you get treated like dirt, well that certainly doesn't seem to be Yale from what I gather.

Even if it is malignant, go for it if accepted. It is a big name and should have a good impact on your future career.

The only thing I did hear about it was that CP call is brutal and you are often up most of the night managing apheresis patients. I don't know if that makes it malignant though.

The only thing I did hear about it was that CP call is brutal and you are often up most of the night managing apheresis patients. I don't know if that makes it malignant though.

This is the definition of the 7th level of hell. To me this is the definition of "malignant". I would avoid these programs with an "emphasis on clinical pathology".

This is the definition of the 7th level of hell. To me this is the definition of "malignant". I would avoid these programs with an "emphasis on clinical pathology".

UMMM...why? Because you intend to work for a pod lab and read slides all day??? Get real...If you go joint AP/CP and want to work for a group that wants you to carry some of the clinical lab load....well you will need that experience.....

I would much rather train at a program with a strong CP program than sit and slog through the reading on my own. It's hands-on training with small-group didactics that keeps it relevant and interesting. And, as the above poster mentioned, you'll be responsible for cross-covering CP if you're in private practice.

If you hate CP, then do straight AP.

UMMM...why? Because you intend to work for a pod lab and read slides all day??? Get real...If you go joint AP/CP and want to work for a group that wants you to carry some of the clinical lab load....well you will need that experience.....

Covering CP call in private practice is not the same as being in house covering apheresis patients all night. Not even close. There are programs where they have pathology resident call rooms where the path residents covering pheresis set up shop during the night. No thanks.

I guess I should clarify things before this thread gets completely out of hand. Yes, Yale CP residents occasionally have to deal with apheresis patients after hours. I'd say that a few times a month the person on call will have to stay late for an evening apheresis. In my 18 months of CP training at Yale, this task fell to me about 4 or 5 times. I never had to come back in the middle of the night. So the idea that we're "often up most of the night managing apheresis patients" is just incorrect. Do we get calls during the night about blood bank issues? Sure. I'll bet I was called after midnight half of the time I was on call. But then I dealt with the issue and went back to bed. I didn't particularly enjoy losing sleep but I actually had some really interesting cases that I learned from. It wasn't terrible. And I definitely wouldn't consider it malignant.

Whether or not you consider CP important to your future career is up to you. But please base your decisions on facts rather than overly dramatized rumors.

Also, I'm not aware of any "pathology resident call rooms" at Yale and never needed to find out.

Last edited:
So the idea that we're "often up most of the night managing apheresis patients" is just incorrect....Also, I'm not aware of any "pathology resident call rooms" at Yale and never needed to find out.

I didn't say Yale in particular. I'm just saying that there are programs out there who do in house overnight apheresis call.

To each his own, but, in general, be careful what you wish for.