yale work hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globallmedicine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone out there familiar with work hours for intern year at yale?
how about for waterbury hospital (yale primary care program)?
how are ancillary services?

do they exceed 80 hrs and work you like a dog at this program (specifically interested in the primary care track)?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i interviewed at yale...def seems more hardcore than a lot of other IM programs

i just heard from a good friend who rotated at both waterbury and new haven as a med-peds resident at yale and here's what she shared

on work hours:

"Both programs are very vigilant about the work-hours. I don't think there are many programs now that go over the 80 hours if they don't want to get in trouble by the ACGME. If you go over, it might be by a couple hours every once in awhile depending on what might happen post-call. eg, if a patient gets super-sick and needs transfer to ICU. But, usually the sister resident-intern teams will help you, b/c they'll be responsible for that patient during your post-call days anyway."

on ancillary services:

ancillary services are fine. Waterbury Hospital, b/c it's a private hospital, has really friendly nursing and ancillary staff. When you right for a radiology order, it gets done immediately. If you're at Yale, sometimes not so. But it's a funny thing, I know people always ask you to ask this question, and I also did when I was interviewing. But, in the end, it really doesn't matter. I find that at any program, you'll find that the private hospitals are very quick to respond (private consultants come in quickly, radiology stuff gets done quickly) and that's because they actually get paid for their work. Whereas, at the bigger academic institutions, you might get some push-back b/c they tend to be more overwhelmed, the ancillary services can be variable, and almost every dept has trainees so everyone is a little more alert for any possible errors (in a good way).

she also went on to praise Dr. Huot, the PC program PD, who was just until recently also the med-peds PD. it sounds like the guy's a great guy.

so my conclusion is that while it's not an easy program by any means (Q4 overnight ward call), yale is supportive of its residents and tries to ensure they don't get overworked.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether Yale has a time-cap for their overnight call admissions, or whether they admit until the following morning? Thanks!

For most wards months:
At Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH) and the VA-West Haven, typically all your admissions will be assigned by 9-10pm while on call. Teams typically cap, but since admissions usually get assigned early to the house-staff teams, there is generally time to sleep for a few hours. There is also a hospitalist service which takes the majority of night admissions. I haven't been at Waterbury, but I hear admissions are similar if not better.

For i-team month:
This is considered a wards month where two interns are paired with one attending. This a non-call month, with no residents. Interns are asked to admit patients, work them up, and discuss with the attending. 1 admission everyday unless capped, cap of 4 patients per intern, and admission time cap of 1pm. This is a popular ward month since there is no call, low census, direct attending teaching, and good preparation for R2 year. Many times as an intern on a regular ward month, you will be busy with cross-cover, pages, etc, while your resident is evaluating the new admission before you do. Many of the orders may be put in before you even see the patient (still the residents are fantastic at taking time to listen/critique the intern's assessment and plan). This month is wonderful in that it gives interns the chance to take more ownership of the patient, and essentially admit and develop their own plan, with the assistance from the attending.