Working nights as a hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1095841

Is it possible to negotiate a contract as a hospitalist where you don't have to work any night shifts?
I'm willing to work evenings and weekends. I have a health issue where I have trouble inverting my sleep cycle.
And how does this differ between academics and private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course it is... Easier in academics than PP but both should be doable. Don't try citing a health reason--when looking for a job just tell them you don't want to do any shifts past X PM and if they can't accommodate look for a different job.

Reactions: 1 users
as a full time nocturnist i support this message

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup it’s in my contract. Hard to do the more in demand the job is.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible to negotiate a contract as a hospitalist where you don't have to work any night shifts?
I'm willing to work evenings and weekends. I have a health issue where I have trouble inverting my sleep cycle.
And how does this differ between academics and private practice?
Would only work out at a place that are staffed with full-time nocturnists.

At programs without full-time nocturnists, everyone will usually be expected to be rotate on nights. And even with a health issue, trying to get out of doing nights (which is usually the least desirable shift at most hospitalist programs) will come off as trying to placing the night call burden on your colleagues.

And even most places with full-time nocturnists will refuse formally write it into your contract to limit you to only day shifts, as they will want more staffing flexibility; for example if one of their full-time nocturnists leaves and they can't hire a new one in time they will want the flexibility to rotate everyone else on nights.

Reactions: 1 users