Yale vs WashU vs OSU (half-ride)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikecheese12345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know all of you know the pros and cons for these schools so I'm not gonna worry about listing them again. I will only put the points that are personal to me (finances):

Yale:
- no scholarship whatsoever, 1/2 tuition is on loan (graduate with about 200K debt, 200K paid)

WashU:
- basically the same as Yale, with very minimal scholarship. I've also heard that St. Louis is getting rather expensive, so CoL will basically match that of New Haven

OSU:
- literally the only selling point for this school: 50% off tuition + in-state tuition after M1

I am having a really tough time giving up name recognition for money, and vice versa. I feel like money will come down the road, but name recognition is much harder to get and sets me up for the future. IDK, I'm here for all inputs (unbiased, preferably lol). Thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

I think we really do need more pros and cons because there’s a lot that is personal to you that’s not included that is crucial to a decision. Do you want to do a competitive specialty or academic medicine? Is community engagement important to you? Where is your family from or do you have geographic preferences, a SO, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user
I think we really do need more pros and cons because there’s a lot that is personal to you that’s not included that is crucial to a decision. Do you want to do a competitive specialty or academic medicine? Is community engagement important to you? Where is your family from or do you have geographic preferences, a SO, etc.?
competitive specialty, yes community engagement. Nothing else really is too important to me (no SO and very supportive family even from afar)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Yale or washu if you want something competitive.

If it was 300k I might be wary but 200k isn’t that extreme esp since it’s not a difference

Guessing 100k difference

WashU or Yale for sure. WashU has better home residencies/hospital and is more highly regarded by residency directors. Yale has better layman prestige and opportunities outside of medicine. Either way, you'll do very well.

I’m assuming you don’t care whether you’re in New Haven or St. Louis. If you want a competitive specialty it’s either Yale or WashU. Personally I’d choose Yale because of the insane curriculum and the environment being so chill. Plus there’s layman prestige if you care about that. WashU is slightly more prestigious within medicine and has way stronger hospitals/home system if you want to match back there. But Yale also matches very well. But yeah, eliminate OSU

Reactions: 1 user
go WashU or Yale. It seems that you are not that concerned about the cost difference.