Yale vs UCSF-UCB (JMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmepls!

Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on the amazing acceptances, either is a good choice! One pro of Yale that I've heard from my friends is that based on the grading system, academics won't be super stressful. As a consequence, you're mental health might be better and you'll be able to invest much more time in other things like research and developing good relationships with mentors which will make it easier to match into a good residency.

Also, like you said Yale has much more prestige outside of medicine, so if med school didn't go well for some reason and you wanted to do something else with the MD, going into healthcare consulting or public policy would be much easier coming out of an institution like Yale.

But as a disclaimer I don't know anything just adding my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
These are both really solid options! Based on your interest in matching in California, I would pick UCSF! They seem to really match people within their system, and they are super good about letting folks continue their education in one of their affiliated hospitals.

With regards to your point on a small JMP class, everyone I know in that program always talks about how super "in community" everyone is, and are some of the nicest/social justice oriented people I know.

Congrats on the amazing acceptances, either is a good choice! One pro of Yale that I've heard from my friends is that based on the grading system, academics won't be super stressful. As a consequence, you're mental health might be better and you'll be able to invest much more time in other things like research and developing good relationships with mentors which will make it easier to match into a good residency.

Also, like you said Yale has much more prestige outside of medicine, so if med school didn't go well for some reason and you wanted to do something else with the MD, going into healthcare consulting or public policy would be much easier coming out of an institution like Yale.

But as a disclaimer I don't know anything just adding my 2 cents.
If you are going to get an MD why do you care what the outside world thinks of the school out of the context of medicine. UCSF MD is always better than Yale MD even if you don’t want to stay in medicine. UCSF only offers medical degrees so the comparison of prestige outside of medicine is not applicable at all. I think Yale is a great school for medicine if you like the Yale system, but UCSF will offer a much more solide medical education and open a few more doors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to get an MD why do you care what the outside world thinks of the school out of the context of medicine. UCSF MD is always better than Yale MD even if you don’t want to stay in medicine. UCSF only offers medical degrees so the comparison of prestige outside of medicine is not applicable at all. I think Yale is a great school for medicine if you like the Yale system, but UCSF will offer a much more solide medical education and open a few more doors.
I think that non-medical people care more about brand-name schools that have ~prestige~ than they do about getting very deep into the nitty-gritty of medical ranking. The ivy league reputation means a lot in the worlds of politics and consulting.

Even in the medical world, I am not sure what doors would be closed to a Yale grad. Yale's match list is incredible, and their connections run deep.

Do with that what you will, OP. You can't go wrong here.

Reactions: 2 users
People are getting a little carried away here. Yes, UCSF has a very big name in medicine and maybe bigger than Yale. But they're still in or very close in tiers.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been in contact with UCSF faculty, as well as Yale faculty, throughout my interview process. UCSF’s offices were always willing to go the extra mile, which really stood out to me. I knew that at UCSF the faculty would be very supportive as they had a genuine interest in seeing students succeed. That would set me up for great mentorships, letter of recs, ANDDDD RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES. I appreciated the flexibility with the Yale system, but the culture at UCSF was unmatched in comparison to any school I interviewed at. I also think UCSF has more prestige in the medical community than Yale. Yes, Yale is an Ivy, but it has more prestige with undergrad vs medical school.

overall, the infrastructure of resources at UCSF really sold it to me over Yale. I felt at UCSF whatever route in medicine I wanted to pursue, I would be well-equipped with people going above n beyond to help me succeed, as well as having more opportunities in departments bc of better funding and networking. It’s just the culture at UCSF.

Their research labs and grants also compared better than Yale in my opinion. So I could get involved with really innovative research whereas Yale didn’t seem to have as many leaders in the fields of research. Potentially could lead to more publications at UCSF lol which will really help with residency matching w step going to P/F

• Haha
  • Care