Yale vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1234567890pumpkins

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am super humbled to have had an amazing cycle. I honestly never thought it would come down to this but here we are. I am deciding between Yale and NYU. Cost is almost certainly going to be the same for both of them (my EFC is near zero). I like both locations equally and feel like my quality of life will be good in either school. I don't want to bias peoples decisions by giving away too much info (and doxxing myself) so I created this account just for this thread. My concern by choosing Yale is giving up prestige (ranked 15th in the new US news Ranking vs 4 for NYU). At the same time, I really like the Yale system. What would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What field do you see yourself going into? how can you be so sure cost will be similar (given the full tuition scholarship at NYU) can you get additional need based aid?

What field do you see yourself going into? how can you be so sure cost will be similar (given the full tuition scholarship at NYU) can you get additional need based aid?
I am URM and from a very poor family. I am sure Yale will waive my unit loan. I am really looking at NSGY and Plastic Surgery. I am just not sure how much weight being from a t5 carries. I know NYU is not traditionally considered a t5 but it looks like it's on the rise and will probably stay as a t5 for the time being. I just don't want to sound so shallow that I really care about prestige. All my friends in medicine have been telling me to pick Yale because it is a really elite program and that NYU is buying its ranking. I am just not so sure about that. Albeit, all my friends have been out of med school for many years and when I mentioned that NYU is now a t5, they didn't believe it. So It's really hard for me to gauge the real prestige here. Any help will be really appreciated.

I am URM and from a very poor family. I am sure Yale will waive my unit loan. I am really looking at NSGY and Plastic Surgery. I am just not sure how much weight being from a t5 carries. I know NYU is not traditionally considered a t5 but it looks like it's on the rise and will probably stay as a t5 for the time being. I just don't want to sound so shallow that I really care about prestige. All my friends in medicine have been telling me to pick Yale because it is a really elite program and that NYU is buying its ranking. I am just not so sure about that. Albeit, all my friends have been out of med school for many years and when I mentioned that NYU is now a t5, they didn't believe it. So It's really hard for me to gauge the real prestige here. Any help will be really appreciated.

Im not sure most would consider Yale inferior to NYU in terms of prestige. I do think NYU is here to stay as a top dog though.

Members don't see this ad :)
When considering prestige, I think it is important to remember that there is no objective list of top medical schools. The US News rankings are really just a systematic way of trying to approximate prestige. The prestige of a medical school is really based on how good your peer's (i.e. other people in medicine) think a medical school is, not how good a medical school actually is. Your peers' opinions on the strength of your medical training is what will hold doors open for you later in your career.

All my friends in medicine have been telling me to pick Yale because it is a really elite program and that NYU is buying its ranking. I am just not so sure about that. Albeit, all my friends have been out of med school for many years and when I mentioned that NYU is now a t5, they didn't believe it. So It's really hard for me to gauge the real prestige here.

I think you have your answer as to which school is really more prestigious.

I don't feel like there is a significant difference in prestige, but would choose whatever school makes you happier. I personally would choose NYU because I love NYC and don't think I'd enjoy a smaller city like New Haven. On the other hand, Yale is so famous and good at everything, it would certainly open doors outside of medicine too. You can't go wrong with either choice. I also have an EFC near 0 and going to a similar school, super excited to get that full ride financial aid :D

Reactions: 5 users
Definitely. I agree that the prestige difference is marginal at best, and really location should be the big decider given how different the two places are. I just wanted to combat the idea that US News is the absolute authority on medical school prestige.

I might be wrong here, but I don't think NYU gives need based aid outside of tuition. Unless you got one of the full COA scholarships, Yale might end up being significantly cheaper, especially if you get the Access scholarship. If EFC is $0, the most expensive Yale can be is $60,000 for all 4 years. I could see NYU easily costing twice that.

Lmao...never thought I’d see the day where someone’s concerned about choosing Yale because it’s less prestigious than NYU

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Literally can’t go wrong whatever you choose, choose based on location and $$$. But... just for arguments sake, I’ve seen Yale med students represented across top programs in all specialties at a higher frequency than NYU students (not by a wide margin and when I say top programs im referring to doximitry and what I’ve heard PDs agree upon in some specialties im interested in, tho obviously even these designations have their own flaws). On the other hand, NYUs residency programs in things like plastic surgery, derm, ortho are like top 5 and numerous other programs are top 10-15 whereas Yale doesn’t have many home programs that you would consider “prestigious” across all specialties. So I mean, everyone knows that matching at your home program is where you have the best chance and thus going to NYU would make sense (to stay at a top NYU program) but if you want a shot across top programs across the country than Yale might make more sense. Just a disclaimer, I consider myself no expert in the subject but I’m basing what I say on mere observation and experience.

Literally can’t go wrong whatever you choose, choose based on location and $$$. But... just for arguments sake, I’ve seen Yale med students represented across top programs in all specialties at a higher frequency than NYU students (not by a wide margin and when I say top programs im referring to doximitry and what I’ve heard PDs agree upon in some specialties im interested in, tho obviously even these designations have their own flaws). On the other hand, NYUs residency programs in things like plastic surgery, derm, ortho are like top 5 and numerous other programs are top 10-15 whereas Yale doesn’t have many home programs that you would consider “prestigious” across all specialties. So I mean, everyone knows that matching at your home program is where you have the best chance and thus going to NYU would make sense (to stay at a top NYU program) but if you want a shot across top programs across the country than Yale might make more sense. Just a disclaimer, I consider myself no expert in the subject but I’m basing what I say on mere observation and experience.

But which would you consider more prestigious? @1234567890pumpkins I am making a similar decision now but finances might play a bigger role than for you

But which would you consider more prestigious? @1234567890pumpkins I am making a similar decision now but finances might play a bigger role than for you

If you want to get technical, as of this moment in the medical community, Yale is more prestigious. But again that doesn’t matter because things can change, NYU can be a force that’s here to stay and Yale can remain in the 15-20 range. What is important is that it takes a looong time to change residency program reputation and if I was interested in a competitive specialty that NYU has a top program in, why would I not choose NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get technical, as of this moment in the medical community, Yale is more prestigious. But again that doesn’t matter because things can change, NYU can be a force that’s here to stay and Yale can remain in the 15-20 range. What is important is that it takes a looong time to change residency program reputation and if I was interested in a competitive specialty that NYU has a top program in, why would I not choose NYU.

How can you say that given the new program director reputation scores? NYU is higher?

I just honestly would not base my decision on step 1 being p/f or us news rankings. Maybe @Goro @PapayaJambalaya @Moko @StanleyYelnats @LizzyM @A Ryan Seacrest Type can chime in
The only people who care about rankings are ignorant, easily dazzled pre-meds, and med school Deans. PDs don't care. They know these schools.

And in the absence of Step 1 as a screening tool, our wise SDN residents and attending s have already told us (to no surprise) that they're simply use Step 2.

And please no whining about "Step 2 mania or "Step 2 will go P/F". That's not on the table for the foreseeable future.

One final note, a school name counts for something, but PDs want to know that a person will be a good team member for the next 3-7 years. Being a Yale or NYU grad doesn't rule out someone from being a bad team member.

Who would seriously turn down a free ride from NYU?

Yale is, of course, older and most likley has more alumni in high places than NYU does. It is also a more well known name in higher education world-wide and its alumni network is huge and diverse in terms of areas of expertise. There are opportunities for engagement with alumni across disciplines in many places around the world, if you are so inclined. It also has more athletics if you are ever inclined to go to a college football or hockey game.

New Haven is relatively compact and accessible yet it is feasible to live off campus and have a car. This is far less economically feasible in NYC yet, in some ways, less necessary as public transportation is ubiquitous.

In terms of education, both schools have good reputations. NYU roses in the rankings originally due to a huge influx of federal cash after Superstorm Sandy (Oct 2012) which wiped out some of NYU's infrastructure (Bellevue, the nearby public hospital, was evaculated and had no patients for the first time since it opened in 1736.) The philanthropy that made it possible to go tuition-free further increased the school's ability to attract the best and the brightest although it remains to be seen what they will do with that education.

The Yale System in terms of exams, grades and original research has been in place for decades. It has been a cradle for medical education leadership for decades, often as a pipeline to Boston and out to the rest of the country.

Go to the place that feels right for you... some will thrive in the highrise jungle of Kips Bay and others will prefer The Green, the Sound, and the Hill.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yale is, of course, older and most likley has more alumni in high places than NYU does. It is also a more well known name in higher education world-wide and its alumni network is huge and diverse in terms of areas of expertise. There are opportunities for engagement with alumni across disciplines in many places around the world, if you are so inclined. It also has more athletics if you are ever inclined to go to a college football or hockey game.

New Haven is relatively compact and accessible yet it is feasible to live off campus and have a car. This is far less economically feasible in NYC yet, in some ways, less necessary as public transportation is ubiquitous.

In terms of education, both schools have good reputations. NYU roses in the rankings originally due to a huge influx of federal cash after Superstorm Sandy (Oct 2012) which wiped out some of NYU's infrastructure (Bellevue, the nearby public hospital, was evaculated and had no patients for the first time since it opened in 1736.) The philanthropy that made it possible to go tuition-free further increased the school's ability to attract the best and the brightest although it remains to be seen what they will do with that education.

The Yale System in terms of exams, grades and original research has been in place for decades. It has been a cradle for medical education leadership for decades, often as a pipeline to Boston and out to the rest of the country.

Go to the place that feels right for you... some will thrive in the highrise jungle of Kips Bay and others will prefer The Green, the Sound, and the Hill.
it's interesting to read about why NYU rose in ranking because of FEMA money.

I agree that Yale is more prestigious than NYU to everybody except US News, but on their methodology page (for last year’s rankings) they don’t make any mention of funding outside of the NIH as a metric in their rankings. Is there something they’re not reporting or is it NYU’s tuition free announcement boosting their incoming class stats?

I agree that Yale is more prestigious than NYU to everybody except US News, but on their methodology page (for last year’s rankings) they don’t make any mention of funding outside of the NIH as a metric in their rankings. Is there something they’re not reporting or is it NYU’s tuition free announcement boosting their incoming class stats?
Correct me if I wrong, but I believe that extra research money for Sandy did come from the NIH.

Reactions: 1 users
if you had your heart set on Yale, you 100% should not change your choice based on the USNWR rankings. as many have pointed out, these rankings aren't very useful/valid, and any changes you see year-to-year are basically just noise. Yale has been (and will continue to be) a top tier program, and will help you match wherever you want to go

if you had your heart set on Yale, you 100% should not change your choice based on the USNWR rankings. as many have pointed out, these rankings aren't very useful/valid, and any changes you see year-to-year are basically just noise. Yale has been (and will continue to be) a top tier program, and will help you match wherever you want to go

Isn't there something to be said with free tuition now bringing in the best students though? In 10-15 years these students will be out in the workforce and will increase the high level of prestige NYU already has. In 20 years time, is it possible NYU will be a household T5 program while Yale is relegated to the bottom T20?

Isn't there something to be said with free tuition now bringing in the best students though? In 10-15 years these students will be out in the workforce and will increase the high level of prestige NYU already has. In 20 years time, is it possible NYU will be a household T5 program while Yale is relegated to the bottom T20?
While that is valid and certainly a possibility, I don't think the prestige of a school in 20 years time is very relevant to recently accepted applicants—the prestige of your school now will influence how it is perceived by residency program directors, faculty, etc.

While that is valid and certainly a possibility, I don't think the prestige of a school in 20 years time is very relevant to recently accepted applicants—the prestige of your school now will influence how it is perceived by residency program directors, faculty, etc.
An additional note, but even the recent prestige boosts seen now might not be too relevant. This is probably why Yale still matches like a T5 school. Program directors aren’t waiting for the latest US News updates every year.

@walter_heisenberg I think you have a valid concern. While no one can tell what the future will look like, I do predict that NYU will stay in the T5 (based on the school's upward mobility) and Yale will most likely stay in the 15-20's range (I don't see it dropping below 20 but could be wrong). Hope that helps!