Yale vs. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephemeralsunshine

this is more stressful than I thought
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
__Redacted for anonymity__

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would personally choose Hopkins. However, it seems to me that you have more personal and meaningful things pulling you towards Yale than towards Hopkins. The biggest con you have for Yale, in my eyes, is that extra 15k per year in tuition. How much does that matter to you? Is it something you're willing/able to deal with for the benefit of being in a place that, to me, sounds like somewhere you're more interested in as a result of its location and academic structure?

With regard to your point about Yale's academic system—do you think you'd truly have less time/opportunity for research or policy work at Hopkins? Hopkins students, to my knowledge, do a huge amount of research and policy work, and many of them take an extra year for an MPH or to pursue research. Is there reason to believe you'll have a dramatically different research experience at Yale?

You may be right; my initial thoughts were only based on my idea of the Yale System and thesis requirement.
Which is not to say the Yale System is an insignificant part of being at Yale, nor that it would be a terrible reason to choose Yale over another school. If it's just research opportunities you're interested in, though, I have no doubt that you'll get everything you want and more at either Yale or Hopkins.

If you don't mind my asking: which were you admitted to first? I had to make a decision between two similar schools a little while ago, and found that my initial hesitation to choose one school over the other was really rooted in the fact that I had been sitting on one of the acceptances for a relatively long time and had already built an image in my head of me attending the school, living in that city, etc. Give yourself a little time, if you have some to spare, and let the new acceptance settle in. The choice became very easy for me once I'd given myself a little while to dissipate all the energy and thought I had invested in the first school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Both great options, but based on what you wrote, I think you should go Yale. If you think you'd enjoy the Yale System, then there really is no other school you should choose over Yale - the flexibility is unprecedented (and makes for collaborative and happy students).

Reactions: 1 users
One of the best universities in the world with a chill culture vs a good university known for a strong med school with an intense culture.

Both in pretty meh cities.

That's the comparison.

Reactions: 3 users
Damn dude, you're killing it with these waitlists! Hard choice to make here. Again, the major points of differentiation are Yale System vs more traditional curriculum, as well as Baltimore vs. New Haven. My instinct is that there is no appreciable difference in the matching opportunities on the West Coast for grads from either school. Not sure whether the rumors about Yale grads being unprepared for internship are true, but at the same time, since when has any fresh med school grad been prepared for internship? ;)

Congrats! I'm sure you'll make a choice that you're happy with in the end :)

Both a great schools. If you are certain about what you want to do in residency, then research a little about at those departments and see which are stronger. If you have no clue, then just go to the place where you will be happy. Hopkins is in a better location with DC being 40 mins away and Philly 1.5 hrs away. New Haven is meh, but Yale seems a lot more chill.