Yale vs Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swipernoswiping

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends!

I just got off the waitlist at Yale and have two days to make the decision of whether to accept their offer. I thought it would be an easy choice but now I'm doubting myself.

Yale--
Pros:
  • Yale system seems super chill...I'm not a competitive person and am drawn to an environment like this
  • Option for MD/MPH
  • More prestigious...likely to open more doors?
  • Close to Boston where my parents live
Cons:
  • New Haven seems like not the best city to live in
  • More expensive
Einstein--
Pros:
  • 20k/year scholarship
  • I am interested in working with underprivileged groups so the Bronx would be ideal for this
  • Have friends at Einstein already and like the social vibes
Cons:
  • Worse match list/less well known than Yale
  • Would have to go to another institution to do my MPH

My gut tells me to go to Yale but my head tells me to follow the money even though its not that much. I appreciate any advice !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also Einstein is ranked much higher in primary care which is what I'm interested in
That means nothing. 20k more per year is totally worth it to go to YALE...
Not that Einstein is a bad school or anything, but it's not in the same league as Yale

Reactions: 2 users
Also got off the WL at Yale yesterday and am making a much different decision, but one thing I will say is that New Haven has their fair share of underprivileged groups (low SES, refugees, etc.). Bronx is probably a better place to do that, but New Haven definitely has it too.

Reactions: 3 users
boi.jpg
tenor.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Einstein! More money, better social support, better school for primary care, and clinical training. Yale is known mainly for academia which you seem to not be into

Wait till you get your financial aid from Yale, I've heard it's great (also got off the yale waitlist and also stressed to make a decision because was set on Penn until today)

I'm a big advocate for being near your family support system. Both schools will get you where you need to go for primary care, and even if you change your mind, there are more than enough opportunities at both schools to help you achieve your dreams. Yale has the upper hand on name, but Einstein has the upper hand on being in the country's greatest city (and resources/opportunities that come with it). So the world is yours either way! Like family, money is a big factor too, so don't let other people sway your decision because of that -- I grew up in a low-resourced neighborhood, and I can tell you, money is not easy to get. Also, don't forget family and friends. They're really important, far more important than you think now. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how lucky I was to go to school close to home until I had a really difficult family situation happen unexpectedly. Family and friends take precedence: no one can replace them. Your career is second.

OP, Yale is the clear choice here. No question. Your gut tells you Yale, you're drawn to the Yale system, you're closer to your parents, you can get the MPH you want, better match list. 20 K/year is insignificant if you go on to become an attending: you will pay it off without worry. As a med student out west, I can tell you Yale will absolutely open more doors across the country, and in the east coast too (unless you want to match at an Einstein affiliated hospital). As above posters have noted, primary care rankings are useless. Even in primary care, Yale will carry you at least as far, and probably more so, than Einstein. Unless there is something off about Yale and you don't think you will be happy there compared to Einstein, go Yale. Don't let 80 K dissuade you from making the choice that is best for you.

As far as friends go, med school is a perfect time to make new friends and expand your social horizons and networks. And Yale is anyways closer to family as you say. Living in the Bronx is not going to give you significantly more resources/opportunities than Yale as the above poster is insinuating; that is absurd. Yes New Haven is not the best location, but neither is the area surrounding Einstein.

Go Yale and don't look back OP. Best of luck!

You wouldn't be wrong for picking the money over the name factor. Where is your heart telling you to go?

Don't let other people make your decision for you!

Reactions: 1 users