UWSOM vs Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

userz1234

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am so grateful to have been accepted to two incredible programs but am very torn about my choices. Any insights and thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

UWSOM (Seattle)
Pros
  • Strong support system (family and friends)
  • P/F all 4 years (new for the entering class)
  • Lecture-based exams but similar to NBME style
  • T10-15
  • More off-campus housing opportunities

Cons
  • Weaker student community since students are more likely to commute
  • In-state tuition is about (55k a year)
    • Very thankful that my family can help pay for some of the tuition but it is still a lot of money
  • Required 24 weeks of clinical rotations outside of Seattle (which seems fun to explore other cities and communities but also draining and lonely?)

Einstein
Pros
  • Free tuition
  • Subsidized housing on campus
  • More collaborative student environment
  • Transitioning to NBME exams
  • Abundant community service opportunities to work with underserved communities
  • More electives that align with my interests

Cons
  • Far from home and support system
  • Tiered clinical grading (H/HP/P/LP/F), AOA (preclinical is P/F though)
  • During second look, a dean mentioned that they are making a lot of positive changes to the program but that they are being rolled out very quickly (made it seem as if it’s a little too quick)
  • I am unsure what specialty I want to go into, but for Ortho, it seems that UWSOM matches better

Members don't see this ad.

A few quick notes: I think UW is p/f just for third year but not fourth year (but maybe my information is outdated). Also, the WWAMI structure definitely encourages you to do clerkships in other places but its very possible to do zero or one clerkship outside of the Seattle area. UW also has a ton of opportunities to work with both urban and rural underserved. I also think that the prestige difference will probably be moot by the time you match/graduate.

At this point, do you know where you want to be location-wise? I think that if you want to be in Seattle or the west coast, UW will have a significant advantage in allowing you to match there. Einsteins prestige will shoot up soon, but as of right now, matching to the other coast will likely be quite a bit more difficult. That being said, the free tuition may likely be more than well worth that uphill battle.

Also, how did you like the Bronx?

A few quick notes: I think UW is p/f just for third year but not fourth year (but maybe my information is outdated). Also, the WWAMI structure definitely encourages you to do clerkships in other places but its very possible to do zero or one clerkship outside of the Seattle area. UW also has a ton of opportunities to work with both urban and rural underserved. I also think that the prestige difference will probably be moot by the time you match/graduate.

At this point, do you know where you want to be location-wise? I think that if you want to be in Seattle or the west coast, UW will have a significant advantage in allowing you to match there. Einsteins prestige will shoot up soon, but as of right now, matching to the other coast will likely be quite a bit more difficult. That being said, the free tuition may likely be more than well worth that uphill battle.

Also, how did you like the Bronx?

That's an interesting note about the rotations at UW because I thought it was much more common for students to have to travel. Is there an approximation for how many students are granted minimal/no movement from their home site (as someone also in the air about UW).

For Einstein vs UWSOM I think ultimately for you it'll come down to cost. With UW you're going to be looking at 200k for tuition + COA so ultimately it depends on how much of a difference that poses for you and your family's finances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I'm on the WL at Einstein

I just wanted to comment on here because one of your cons caught my eye: "During second look, a dean mentioned that they are making a lot of positive changes to the program but that they are being rolled out very quickly (made it seem as if it’s a little too quick)". I heard a med student say something similar where the admin almost seemed too eager to make changes even if it wasn't necessary. They couldn't get into the details but it does seem to be a real thing. Not sure about the UW admin but maybe ask the med students there if they've experienced something similar?

I think both Einstein and UW are amazing schools! It really depends on if you want to be close to your support system, where you want to be long term following residency, and specialties you're interested in. A med student at Einstein told me that they also match well for ortho because you can go into Manhattan to work with HSS but that it's a long commute to get there from the Bronx. When I talked to med students from Weill Cornell though, they told me that HSS has some preference for Weill Cornell students since the school and hospital are affiliated, so that was seemed to conflict with what the Einstein med student told me.

Research at Einstein is super strong and I'm sure that with the recent news, there will be even more eyes on Einstein for donations and grants. Also, if you're interested look for research year opportunities from each school. Some schools give you protected time and lower or no tuition for any research years you take, like Einstein, which can be super helpful with applying for more competitive specialties.

Your pros for UWSOM seem like it may be a better fit. You have a good support system. I would go where you can reach your goals and be happy.

1. Having a support system during med school is incredibly important. If you choose Einstein, consider how often you would meet your family and how you would keep in touch. What are the students, faculty, and environment like? Do you share interests? Could you join student organizations to build a strong system?
2. The weather in NY is quite different from WA, so it is important to be prepared. It is definitely a big change.
3. P/F during clerkships would be beneficial, especially when there is some subjectivity to them
4. Where do you plan to continue residency? You will match well at either one, but there would be slight differences in locations. If you would like to stay on the West Coast in the long run, then UW would give you a better opportunity to do that. Einstein would as well, but more difficult.
5. CoA is important to consider. However, I would not make your decision solely based on it. If you are only considering Einstein for the money, then it may affect your happiness/health later on.

Both are great schools, so you would be fine at either!

Reactions: 1 user