Yale School of Public Health Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwdl4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for those of us attending YSPH this fall. I'm so relieved to be done with this process; so much more stressful than I anticipated. But in the end, I'll be happily making my way to New Haven - MPH, Health Policy.

Anybody else decide yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Me! EHS! I'm both nervous and excited about moving!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am! You're from California, too? :D

Yessss - I'm a former Anteater as well (undergrad)!! Zot zot haha. :cool: Yes, I'm from California, and I'm actually a bit nervous about the move - I've never lived out of state. How are you feeling about everything?

Yessss - I'm a former Anteater as well (undergrad)!! Zot zot haha. :cool: Yes, I'm from California, and I'm actually a bit nervous about the move - I've never lived out of state. How are you feeling about everything?

Sent you a message!

I'll be going to YSPH as well! Are you guys going to the open house next week?

Thought I'd start a thread for those of us attending YSPH this fall. I'm so relieved to be done with this process; so much more stressful than I anticipated. But in the end, I'll be happily making my way to New Haven - MPH, Health Policy.

Anybody else decide yet?

well, i guess i'll see you on the other side of the coast someday. :cool:

I'll be going to YSPH as well! Are you guys going to the open house next week?

Niiice! Welcome aboard! In Epi, I'm guessing? (though it would be kinda funny if you were in something like SBS with that username). I won't be able to make it, are you planning to go?

Haha! Yes.. I'm in the epidemiology of microbial disease program. I'm currently working/ living in DC so I'll be driving up to new haven for the open house .
P.s. I also went to school in SoCal (UCSD) .

Haha! Yes.. I'm in the epidemiology of microbial disease program. I'm currently working/ living in DC so I'll be driving up to new haven for the open house .

Haha wow... didn't expect so many UC'ers to be attending Yale! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely let us know how it goes!

Can't wait to meet everyone this Friday :) I'm sooo excited!

WooHoo! Send in my NOI yesterday. EHS, whatup fellow bulldogs?

I'll be there this Friday, anyone else?
Also- anyone making it to the Thursday night event at Bar?

Anyone know where EHS classes are held? Where are SPH offices and classrooms? I heard there is a lot of collaboration with the School of Forestry, so how far away is Forestry from the SPH?

I'll be there this Friday, anyone else?
Also- anyone making it to the Thursday night event at Bar?

I'll be there Friday and for the event on Thursday. Free food and drinks :thumbup:

Anyone know where EHS classes are held? Where are SPH offices and classrooms? I heard there is a lot of collaboration with the School of Forestry, so how far away is Forestry from the SPH?

Classes are held at 60 College St and administrative offices are at 47 College St -- right across the street from each other. School of Forestry is about a 15-20 min walk or you can take a shuttle.

To be fair:

Unfortunately, the link between FES and YSPH is not nearly as strong as some may make it out to be. You can absolutely take classes and work with profs at Forestry (I have done both... often), but it takes some effort to make happen.

Anyone get their financial aid packages yet? Mostly loans. I have to say... I was expecting more need-based grants. Does anyone know anything about work study?

I am attending Yale for Health Management. Is anyone thinking about housing yet? I plan to live in the dorms. What about you guys?

I am attending Yale for Health Management. Is anyone thinking about housing yet? I plan to live in the dorms. What about you guys?

What other schools did you apply to? I'm in Health Management as well (global health concentration/certificate) and am trying to decide between Yale and Columbia. How did you decide on Yale? I'll be in New Haven this weekend (visited Columbia last week) and hope it will help me with the decision process.

I'm leaning towards off-campus housing wherever I end up.

Thanks!

Anyone get their financial aid packages yet? Mostly loans. I have to say... I was expecting more need-based grants. Does anyone know anything about work study?

i got mine and while it was not impressive, it is the best one i have been offered thus far (other pkgs from hopkins and columbia were minimal in the need-based grant area). i did get a work study award, which i believe is probably similar to the ones that i was awarded in undergrad?

What other schools did you apply to? I'm in Health Management as well (global health concentration/certificate) and am trying to decide between Yale and Columbia. How did you decide on Yale? I'll be in New Haven this weekend (visited Columbia last week) and hope it will help me with the decision process.

Thanks!

i'm deciding between columbia and yale as well. for epidemiology. Also does anyone know when to start applying for dorm?

i got mine and while it was not impressive, it is the best one i have been offered thus far (other pkgs from hopkins and columbia were minimal in the need-based grant area). i did get a work study award, which i believe is probably similar to the ones that i was awarded in undergrad?

Does this mean that we will get a job and get paid for the job AND the work study aid amount? Or that's how much we'll be paid at the job?

Sorry, I'm a bit clueless. I didn't really deal with financial aid as an undergrad.

Thanks!

I applied to many (Columbia, BU, Emory, Hopkins and bunch of others) and also got into Columbia.

As many people said Yale is great because of the small program size and having the chance to interact with faculty.

I also like the fact you can take courses at the Yale law, management, med school, undergrad college- all of which has much to offer.... I talked to a student from the HPM program at Yale. She said you take a lot of classes with MBA students and the business classes at the HPM program is much harder than the PH classes. Seems challenging and worth the time and tuition...

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to make it to the open house for Yale's admitted students. Anybody learn anything interesting?

Also, could anyone comment on job placements/career services for Yale MPH HPA graduates? I'm still trying to make decisions as well...

For current YSPHers, how easy is it to get Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant positions?

I am just waiting for Yale, but I haven´t heard from them since the early march when they told me my application has been review, should I ask again?? because I have already NYU and I am almost convinced.
Applied: Mount Sinai, U of A, BU, Emroy, UT, Columbia, NYU, Yale, Harvard
Rejected: Columbia, Emroy, Harvard
Accepted: MS, UofA, NYU
Waiting: Yale and BU

It is easy enough to get a job on campus. If you want to do research you just have to ask around. I don't know of anyone who wanted a job that couldn't get one. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be working on a project of your choice or with a professor you really want to work with but it is possible.

For any campus job (research, etc.) you paid from that work study grant. You aren't given a job with a work study award. That is just the account they pay you out of if you work on campus and a lot of people don't get enough hours to use that entire award. (Unlike in undergrad where they might have given you an actual position).

As far as a TA job, you usually can't TA for YSPH until your second year. Also, PhD students get first dibs at those TA positions. I've heard there is a very large PhD class coming in this year so my guess is there will be fewer available positions. If you are motivated you can look at the course listings for Yale College and see if you can TA there. I know a number of people who did that. However, you don't get a tuition waiver or anything--just a small stipend. Some departments pay better than others.

It is easy enough to get a job on campus. If you want to do research you just have to ask around. I don't know of anyone who wanted a job that couldn't get one. That doesn't necessarily mean you will be working on a project of your choice or with a professor you really want to work with but it is possible.

For any campus job (research, etc.) you paid from that work study grant. You aren't given a job with a work study award. That is just the account they pay you out of if you work on campus and a lot of people don't get enough hours to use that entire award. (Unlike in undergrad where they might have given you an actual position).

As far as a TA job, you usually can't TA for YSPH until your second year. Also, PhD students get first dibs at those TA positions. I've heard there is a very large PhD class coming in this year so my guess is there will be fewer available positions. If you are motivated you can look at the course listings for Yale College and see if you can TA there. I know a number of people who did that. However, you don't get a tuition waiver or anything--just a small stipend. Some departments pay better than others.
How large is PhD class normally?

Anyone in the AP-MPH program? Wanted to know just how hectic is it going to be? Will there be time for residency apps and interviews?