Yale Postbaccalaureate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4u

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone started at yale Postbaccalaureate program? I was looking into it, but it is over 10k per class, kinda $$$.

Any info owuld be great.

Thanks,
MDF

Members don't see this ad.

doc4u said:
Has anyone started at yale Postbaccalaureate program? I was looking into it, but it is over 10k per class, kinda $$$.

Any info owuld be great.

Thanks,
MDF

Yale does not have an official post bacc program that I am aware of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chrissy said:

Hello,
I looked into Yale's postbacc, and it looks decent, but you have to jump through hoops. I just applied to Yale College as a "undergrad" and will take only my premed courses vs a Postbacc program. I know what I need to take and dont need hand holding. I could go to a more mid level university (Fairfield) and take the same classes as Yale, but less selection. Only draw to Yale is that they are a bit more $$ then Fairfield University. I believe that the extra price of classes will be made up in the name when applying to medical school. Just my thoughts, could be wrong.

Do you think this is a good route to go. Chrissy, I think you know my background from a prior chat.

Regards,
MDF

doc4u said:
Hello,
I looked into Yale's postbacc, and it looks decent, but you have to jump through hoops. I just applied to Yale College as a "undergrad" and will take only my premed courses vs a Postbacc program. I know what I need to take and dont need hand holding. I could go to a more mid level university (Fairfield) and take the same classes as Yale, but less selection. Only draw to Yale is that they are a bit more $$ then Fairfield University. I believe that the extra price of classes will be made up in the name when applying to medical school. Just my thoughts, could be wrong.

Do you think this is a good route to go. Chrissy, I think you know my background from a prior chat.

Regards,
MDF

Don't you have to be accepted to Yale College in order to take classes there? I've never heard of anyone just being able to walk in and say they've taken their pre-reqs at Yale. It seems a risky road to take, even for the "Yale" name.

I wouldn't knock Fairfield... not sure what you mean by they have "less selection", but if all you're looking to do is take your four pre-req classes, I can assure you they offer them. School is what you make of it... your priority right now should be to do as well as you can, regardless of where you end up taking your classes.

microgin said:
Don't you have to be accepted to Yale College in order to take classes there? I've never heard of anyone just being able to walk in and say they've taken their pre-reqs at Yale. It seems a risky road to take, even for the "Yale" name.

I wouldn't knock Fairfield... not sure what you mean by they have "less selection", but if all you're looking to do is take your four pre-req classes, I can assure you they offer them. School is what you make of it... your priority right now should be to do as well as you can, regardless of where you end up taking your classes.

1. I had to apply to Yale college.
2. What I mean by less selection is that they do not say for example offer Bio1 and lab in Spring, only Bio2. I need this to also work on my time. Because they are small they only offer the big 4 in or order. Yale for example offers a lot more classes all year.

I am not knocking Fairfield at all, I think it is great university, but I want to start SPRING and not hold my hand on my a.. and wait.

Why do you say Yale is a risk? To me that is like saying, don't go to Harvard son, your better off at a local CC. If you could shed some light that would help a lot. I dont mean to come accross as blunt, but my dam head hurts from stress of an exam coming up.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
MDF

doc4u said:
1. I had to apply to Yale college.
2. What I mean by less selection is that they do not say for example offer Bio1 and lab in Spring, only Bio2. I need this to also work on my time. Because they are small they only offer the big 4 in or order. Yale for example offers a lot more classes all year.

I am not knocking Fairfield at all, I think it is great university, but I want to start SPRING and not hold my hand on my a.. and wait.

Why do you say Yale is a risk? To me that is like saying, don't go to Harvard son, your better off at a local CC. If you could shed some light that would help a lot. I dont mean to come accross as blunt, but my dam head hurts from stress of an exam coming up.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
MDF

My point was only that I'm not sure how "easy" it is to get into Yale College... I looked at the application for the Yale postbac program, and if you think that was "jumping through hoops", I can't imagine that the Yale undergrad app would be any less stringent (GPA, SAT scores, etc). I could be mistaken, but I don't think that Yale has any sort of open enrollment, as say its Ivy League counterpart, Harvard, does (the HES program). At Harvard, basically you fill out the application and send in a check, and they'll accept you, but it's up to you to keep up with the rigors of the coursework - hence the high attrition rate there. If Yale has a system like this that I was unaware of, then my apologies.

Harvard > Yale, btw.

Doc4you,
ironically, my little sister is a senior at Fairfield so i know a bit about that school as well. my honest opinion sounds like the same old cop out i'm sure....with your background going to any accredited private college that people have heard of (which fairfield is) i think if you do well you will be just fine...that being said however, fairfield isn't cheap either and in the long run i would venture to say yale may do you more good IF it's feasable for you...i mean convenience is a large factor especially when you're married and have other committments but given the similarity in price (not to say even a small difference isn't worth choosing fairfield) maybe you should still consider yale.....but since you told me a little about yourself i do think fairfield would be fine for you....where yale might help is if you are set on or gunning for a top 10 med school....i think if you do well at fairfield though you will most definitely get into an allopathic school. i hope i didn't confuse you i just think this is a similar dilemma that many many post baccs go through; does the school's name REALLY matter? the answer seems to be yeah a little but no one knows how much....also yale's program is new and has no linkages and honestly despite it's stellar reputation has nothing out of the ordninary to offer a post bacc....i think the name is it....what are you thinking?

microgin said:
My point was only that I'm not sure how "easy" it is to get into Yale College... I looked at the application for the Yale postbac program, and if you think that was "jumping through hoops", I can't imagine that the Yale undergrad app would be any less stringent (GPA, SAT scores, etc). I could be mistaken, but I don't think that Yale has any sort of open enrollment, as say its Ivy League counterpart, Harvard, does (the HES program). At Harvard, basically you fill out the application and send in a check, and they'll accept you, but it's up to you to keep up with the rigors of the coursework - hence the high attrition rate there. If Yale has a system like this that I was unaware of, then my apologies.

I had to apply to Yale college, and their program as any student would. Even though I am a grad student it dosn't matter. I just was under the gun yesterday to get everything done.

Chrissy said:
Doc4you,
ironically, my little sister is a senior at Fairfield so i know a bit about that school as well. my honest opinion sounds like the same old cop out i'm sure....with your background going to any accredited private college that people have heard of (which fairfield is) i think if you do well you will be just fine...that being said however, fairfield isn't cheap either and in the long run i would venture to say yale may do you more good IF it's feasable for you...i mean convenience is a large factor especially when you're married and have other committments but given the similarity in price (not to say even a small difference isn't worth choosing fairfield) maybe you should still consider yale.....but since you told me a little about yourself i do think fairfield would be fine for you....where yale might help is if you are set on or gunning for a top 10 med school....i think if you do well at fairfield though you will most definitely get into an allopathic school. i hope i didn't confuse you i just think this is a similar dilemma that many many post baccs go through; does the school's name REALLY matter? the answer seems to be yeah a little but no one knows how much....also yale's program is new and has no linkages and honestly despite it's stellar reputation has nothing out of the ordninary to offer a post bacc....i think the name is it....what are you thinking?

Well I think I have made my decision, as long as I hear back... I sent all my info to Yale yesterday, although I have to wait to hear back from them.

As far as money goes, the prices are not that different between Fairfield and Yale, mabe 400 per course diff. From what i was told by a few docs that work with my wife, is that by spending that little extra money now, will save me a bit of trouble in the future. Not saying that Fairfield is bad, but on a national level it is much different.

I will keep you posted. Not sure how long it takes to process my application.

microgin said:

I wanted to point out your comment regarding HES. I know some folks in the HES program. You are right you can take classes, although you need to Accepted to grad. Just a little point... Its not like you go and take classes and you get a nice degree to hang on your wall, you actually have to earn it by getting three B+'s in the three req. classes and then you have a application process. Might want to read that one, before making negative comments on HES... Just a little reality check for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
doc4u said:
I wanted to point out your comment regarding HES. I know some folks in the HES program. You are right you can take classes, although you need to Accepted to grad. Just a little point... Its not like you go and take classes and you get a nice degree to hang on your wall, you actually have to earn it by getting three B+'s in the three req. classes and then you have a application process. Might want to read that one, before making negative comments on HES... Just a little reality check for you.

First off, again, Microgin is again correct!

Pay your money and as long as you're not a drop out with a 1.5 GPA, you're in to HES (whether you are a degree candidate or not, the criteria for admission is the same.) I am actually in the HES program and you need a B, not a B+ in each class. Furthermore to qualify for the degree you must not have taken any of the 4 core science classes before, so it is not 3 required courses, its all 4 classes and possibly additional courses depending on your GPA when you enter the program. So take this as your reality check, smarty. :idea:

Sundarban1 said:
First off, again, Microgin is again correct!

Pay your money and as long as you're not a drop out with a 1.5 GPA, you're in to HES (whether you are a degree candidate or not, the criteria for admission is the same.) I am actually in the HES program and you need a B, not a B+ in each class. Furthermore to qualify for the degree you must not have taken any of the 4 core science classes before, so it is not 3 required courses, its all 4 classes and possibly additional courses depending on your GPA when you enter the program. So take this as your reality check, smarty. :idea:

To make your life easy, I will give you the exact post on HES site.

Admission

To be admitted to the program, students must:
Possess a regionally accredited bachelor's degree. Students from other countries must possess a diploma or transcript that is at least the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in the United States, as determined by the degree office. Students with foreign degrees are referred to an independent evaluator, who charges students a nominal fee. Individuals already holding a graduate degree may earn the degree provided that the existing degree is in a different field; students in this situation should have their transcripts reviewed before beginning coursework in the program.

Complete three degree courses (12 units) taken for graduate credit at Harvard Extension School or Harvard Summer School with B or higher grades. These three courses count toward the total number of courses required for the degree. See Prerequisite Courses.

Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in all degree courses.

My initial point was that yes, you APPLIED, but what are the guarantees that you'll be ACCEPTED to Yale? That's the "big risk" that I mentioned in my earlier post. If you're hinging all your hopes on getting into Yale instead of looking at other options, then you may be disappointed and have to "hold your hand on your a.. and wait" until the fall anyhow. Again, I'm no expert in the difficulty or lack thereof of getting into either Yale's postbac program or Yale College to just take classes as you say. I just don't understand if it's so easy to get in, and this is commonly known, why wouldn't every anxious pre-med within a 50-mile radius of Yale take their pre-med classes there to get the Yale name? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Just to put things into perspective, UConn has a postbac program too.... I'm sure you think that UConn is a "lesser" school than Yale as well on the "national level", but the point is that getting into UConn's postbac is quite competitive.... they get at least 200 apps for a total of 12 spots. Yale may be that competitive also, I've never seen any stats on it, so I can't say for sure.

Also, please don't try to misconstrue what I say. When I mentioned the HES program earlier, I was in NO way knocking it. I too have friends there, and think that it is a great program in that they allow people en masse to take their pre-med requirements. The hard part isn't getting in, it's staying there. The classes are not taken with the Harvard College undergrads, but are taught by the same professors and with the same rigor and pace of the regular undergrad courses. Also there are different variations on the HES theme... there's the option to just take classes and get individual profs to write letters of recommendation on your behalf - which would probably be your choice du jour since you don't need any "hand holding" from the folks at Yale, there's the sponsorship program, where if you meet certain requirements, the committee will write you a committee letter for your med school apps, and then there's the pre-med diploma program (for which you cannot have previously taken any of your pre-reqs). Each has it's own specific requirements which I'm sure you can handily find on the HES website considering your previous post.

You obviously have very strong opinions and seem to already have made your mind up with things, so I wish you all the best with your plan.

Not sure if this matters to you but Yale's program is only for people who have never taken any of the pre-reqs before. It is not for people who need to rehabilitate their science gpa.

microgin said:
My initial point was that yes, you APPLIED, but what are the guarantees that you'll be ACCEPTED to Yale? That's the "big risk" that I mentioned in my earlier post. If you're hinging all your hopes on getting into Yale instead of looking at other options, then you may be disappointed and have to "hold your hand on your a.. and wait" until the fall anyhow. Again, I'm no expert in the difficulty or lack thereof of getting into either Yale's postbac program or Yale College to just take classes as you say. I just don't understand if it's so easy to get in, and this is commonly known, why wouldn't every anxious pre-med within a 50-mile radius of Yale take their pre-med classes there to get the Yale name? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Just to put things into perspective, UConn has a postbac program too.... I'm sure you think that UConn is a "lesser" school than Yale as well on the "national level", but the point is that getting into UConn's postbac is quite competitive.... they get at least 200 apps for a total of 12 spots. Yale may be that competitive also, I've never seen any stats on it, so I can't say for sure.

Also, please don't try to misconstrue what I say. When I mentioned the HES program earlier, I was in NO way knocking it. I too have friends there, and think that it is a great program in that they allow people en masse to take their pre-med requirements. The hard part isn't getting in, it's staying there. The classes are not taken with the Harvard College undergrads, but are taught by the same professors and with the same rigor and pace of the regular undergrad courses. Also there are different variations on the HES theme... there's the option to just take classes and get individual profs to write letters of recommendation on your behalf - which would probably be your choice du jour since you don't need any "hand holding" from the folks at Yale, there's the sponsorship program, where if you meet certain requirements, the committee will write you a committee letter for your med school apps, and then there's the pre-med diploma program (for which you cannot have previously taken any of your pre-reqs). Each has it's own specific requirements which I'm sure you can handily find on the HES website considering your previous post.

You obviously have very strong opinions and seem to already have made your mind up with things, so I wish you all the best with your plan.

Hey,
Sorry if I came off a bit strong. I just know that many people work very hard at HES, as all students should.

As far as Yale, honestly I am not worried. I know that may seem cocky, but I have other options if that falls through.

doc4u said:
To make your life easy, I will give you the exact post on HES site.

No, if you wanted to make my life easier you would stop talking out of your a$$ :smuggrin:

Next time go to the correct section of the website, for pre-med students in the health careers program not graduate students. The criteria are as I mentioned above, or as the correct website states:

Complete a minimum number of units with grades of B or higher in medical sciences courses at Extension School or Harvard Summer School. Those with undergraduate grade point averages (GPAs) of 3.2 or higher must complete 20 such units; those with undergraduate GPAs between 3.0 and 3.2 must complete 24; those with undergraduate GPAs between 2.8 and 3.0 must complete 28; and those with undergraduate GPAs below 2.8 must complete 32.

Sundarban1 said:
No, if you wanted to make my life easier you would stop talking out of your a$$ :smuggrin:

Next time go to the correct section of the website, for pre-med students in the health careers program not graduate students. The criteria are as I mentioned above, or as the correct website states:

Complete a minimum number of units with grades of B or higher in medical sciences courses at Extension School or Harvard Summer School. Those with undergraduate grade point averages (GPAs) of 3.2 or higher must complete 20 such units; those with undergraduate GPAs between 3.0 and 3.2 must complete 24; those with undergraduate GPAs between 2.8 and 3.0 must complete 28; and those with undergraduate GPAs below 2.8 must complete 32.

Ok punk... HES does not mean HES Pre-med, maybe in your world. HES means for the school as a whole.

doc4u said:
Ok punk... HES does not mean HES Pre-med, maybe in your world. HES means for the school as a whole.

Wow, you're still on a roll.... I think we all realize that HES stands for Harvard Extension School, however, since you're posting to the Student DOCTOR Forums, and want to take your PRE-MED requirements, then you need to look at the HES page for the HEALTH CAREER PROGRAM, which as stated so eloquently by Sundarban1, has different requirements than HES as a whole.

As far as Yale, honestly I am not worried. I know that may seem cocky, but I have other options if that falls through.

You're either a troll or the son of Yale's Dean... either way, :luck:

microgin said:
Wow, you're still on a roll.... I think we all realize that HES stands for Harvard Extension School, however, since you're posting to the Student DOCTOR Forums, and want to take your PRE-MED requirements, then you need to look at the HES page for the HEALTH CAREER PROGRAM, which as stated so eloquently by Sundarban1, has different requirements than HES as a whole.

You're either a troll or the son of Yale's Dean... either way, :luck:

I guess that makes me a troll; now that I think about it I like my troll world.

At least I have options, vs calling people a troll. What options do you have, CC?

doc4u said:
I guess that makes me a troll; now that I think about it I like my troll world.

At least I have options, vs calling people a troll. What options do you have, CC?

I have the option of not sinking down to your level. Here's just one last piece of advice for you.... if you ask people for their opinions on a public board, do not try to pick apart everything they say in attempt to prove that you know more than they do. If you have all the answers already, then it really doesn't matter what others have to say and you're just wasting your time here. Do something productive and start studying for the verbal section of the MCAT or start reading your organic chem text. You can do whatever you want to do in life - trust me, none of us on here really care.

microgin said:
I have the option of not sinking down to your level. Here's just one last piece of advice for you.... if you ask people for their opinions on a public board, do not try to pick apart everything they say in attempt to prove that you know more than they do. If you have all the answers already, then it really doesn't matter what others have to say and you're just wasting your time here. Do something productive and start studying for the verbal section of the MCAT or start reading your organic chem text. You can do whatever you want to do in life - trust me, none of us on here really care.

if you dont care then why do you take the time to write.... good luck back at ya.