Yale (full tuition FA) vs. UCLA (Geffen Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iliasis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post removed at OP's request.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. It certainly sounds like Yale could bring a lot of perks, but do you think that these perks will translate into the medical field as well? For example, the lay person won't know about Mayo but in medicine Mayo is clearly a huge name that opens lots of doors.

Both schools are likely to net you the same career options. The same could be said for HMS and UCLA. The question you should ask yourself is, are the perks of going to Yale and saying you went to Yale + the stress free environment of the curriculum, worth 100k? I think it is but only you can decide. For reference, I also have 3 other T10 acceptances including one full ride and im likely choosing Yale.

Reactions: 1 users
Could you elaborate on these “perks”? Thanks!

Detail, but I thought I’d mention if it might be useful to someone, as someone who lives in NYC that Yale is over ~3hr away, each way. Accessible, but you definitely have to plan a whole day around it, can’t really just hop on a train!

I have to admit, being a city dweller my whole life, new haven was quite off-putting. I had an interviewer also raised in nyc who told me point blank it’s very different—but she loves it as she is raising a family and it is quieter. So, I guess it really depends on what kind of environment one prefers!
New Haven is about 2 hours away if you take metro-north. If you take Amtrak, it's about 1 and half hours away. You probably need a car there. LA is a wonderful place and I love visiting my friends there. LA > NH for sure, but I would rather get that Yale degree by sacrificing my four years of life. To me, ucla is just ucla, whereas Yale is YALE.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
First, if you are getting the scholarships, you are smart enough that you will do well at either program. Congrats. You should be proud!

I'm not the biggest LA fan, but saving $100K is definitely worth it as long as you are okay living away from your family for those 4 years.

Yale might have more clout to layman, but UCLA is more impressive in the medical world, imo. Especially for surgical fields. UCLA is a "wow" program for surgical fields, whereas Yale is a more "okay" reaction. UCLA is universally strong in every field and is very strong academically. Many of Yale's surgical programs are mid-tier. In terms of surgical residencies and having big names in surgery UCLA>> Yale hands down. Yale>UCLA if you end up going into consulting. Neither program will hold you back in the end though, so you cannot go wrong with the decision.

As for your last point, UCLA is a ginormous health system. They gave us an example OR schedule for a week at Ronald Reagan alone (doesn't include the other 6 or so hospitals they rotate at) at my residency interview and they have more than enough volume to support you rotating with the class below you

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First, if you are getting the scholarships, you are smart enough that you will do well at either program. Congrats. You should be proud!

I'm not the biggest LA fan, but saving $100K is definitely worth it as long as you are okay living away from your family for those 4 years.

Yale might have more clout to layman, but UCLA is more impressive in the medical world, imo. Especially for surgical fields. UCLA is a "wow" program for surgical fields, whereas Yale is a more "okay" reaction. UCLA is universally strong in every field and is very strong academically. Many of Yale's surgical programs are mid-tier. In terms of surgical residencies and having big names in surgery UCLA>> Yale hands down. Yale>UCLA if you end up going into consulting. Neither program will hold you back in the end though, so you cannot go wrong with the decision.

As for your last point, UCLA is a ginormous health system. They gave us an example OR schedule for a week at Ronald Reagan alone (doesn't include the other 6 or so hospitals they rotate at) at my residency interview and they have more than enough volume to support you rotating with the class below you

I wouldnt say Yale isn't known for surgery. They matched a higher percentage of their class to plastics and neurosurgery than HMS.

Yale match list (plastics)

2019: stanford, Gtwon
2018: Georgetown, Hopkins, NYU, Albert Einstein
2017: yale,
2016: yale, Utexas
2015: UCSF
2014: UCLA, Stanford, Yale, NY-pres
2013: UCSF, UCSF
2012: USC
2011: Yale, Yale, Einstein, Pittsburgh, University of Washington
2010: UCSF, WashU, University of Wisconsin

Yale match list (neurosurgery)

2019: northwestern, duke, Uwash
2018: UCSF, Barrows, UVA, Dartmouth
2017: UCSF, Harvard (MGH)
2016: Yale, Harvard (MGH)
2015: Barrows, Stanford, Yale,
2014: NYU, Duke

Could you elaborate on these “perks”? Thanks!

Detail, but I thought I’d mention if it might be useful to someone, as someone who lives in NYC that Yale is over ~3hr away, each way. Accessible, but you definitely have to plan a whole day around it, can’t really just hop on a train!

I have to admit, being a city dweller my whole life, new haven was quite off-putting. I had an interviewer also raised in nyc who told me point blank it’s very different—but she loves it as she is raising a family and it is quieter. So, I guess it really depends on what kind of environment one prefers!
It is 1:40, give or take. Live farther west by a half hour and you can cut it down to an hour and change on weekends.

The perks are intangible that are hard to describe. That dream job? If you and the guy you're competing against are identical but his resume says Yale, he will get it, particularly if it is a power position beyond just the clinical

I really don't think UCLA has the "wow" effect. In California, that's reserved for UCSF and Stanford. I don't understand why people talk up a school so much here. UCLA is an amazing institution. But "wow" effect, you have to survey the entire medical field to validate that claim.

New Haven is about 2 hours away if you take metro-north. If you take Amtrak, it's about 1 and half hours away. You probably need a car there. LA is a wonderful place and I love visiting my friends there. LA > NH for sure, but I would rather get that Yale degree by sacrificing my four years of life. To me, ucla is just ucla, whereas Yale is YALE.

The actual metro-north ride is alittle over two hours. I was including the commute from Yale to the station and Harlem to more downtown Manhattan where most people spend time in my time estimate. The estimate was based on my time spent when I commuted. I don’t have a car but have heard it’s definately easier. Under a 2 hr drive! Idk about Amtrak, in my opinion they always charge the most of any travel option. Not worth it.
Congrats on your decision, hope Yale pulled through with the generous fin aid!

The actual metro-north ride is alittle over two hours. I was including the commute from Yale to the station and Harlem to more downtown Manhattan where most people spend time in my time estimate. The estimate was based on my time spent when I commuted. I don’t have a car but have heard it’s definately easier. Under a 2 hr drive! Idk about Amtrak, in my opinion they always charge the most of any travel option. Not worth it.
Congrats on your decision, hope Yale pulled through with the generous fin aid!
Amtrak charges a lot. like 65 bucks. but it can cut down travel time by 15 mins lol. Driving is the best option. Down the merritt in no time.

I wouldnt say Yale isn't known for surgery. They matched a higher percentage of their class to plastics and neurosurgery than HMS.

I said that neither with hold OP back in terms of matching. Yale's surgical residency programs (not Yale's matches) for the most part are not held in the same regard as UCLA's surgical programs and UCLA has more well-known names in the surgical fields. That, plus saving $100K, is something to consider. As I said before, OP cannot go wrong. Both schools are great and impressive. However, if we are getting into the nitty-gritty separation between the two, I find UCLA more impressive just because of the strength of their residency programs

Is this true of the medical school as well? My impression is that ucla probably has better residency programs but that doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of education the medical students get/where they end up for training. My impression so far is, all else aside, Yale is probably a better place to be if you're a medical student interested in surgery whereas ucla would be a better place to train as a resident.

That match list is insane. Though I'm sure people matching into plastics and Neurosurg self-select for very competitive applicants, as far as I can tell Yale's match list matches (and in many cases exceeds) others I've seen in the t10. Its interesting that the residency PD score is lower than ucla's, given that the match list seems to be much better.

Is this true of the medical school as well? My impression is that ucla probably has better residency programs but that doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of education the medical students get/where they end up for training. My impression so far is, all else aside, Yale is probably a better place to be if you're a medical student interested in surgery whereas ucla would be a better place to train as a resident.

That match list is insane. Though I'm sure people matching into plastics and Neurosurg self-select for very competitive applicants, as far as I can tell Yale's match list matches (and in many cases exceeds) others I've seen in the t10. Its interesting that the residency PD score is lower than ucla's, given that the match list seems to be much better.
PD rating is on the scale of 1 to 5 discreet (i.e, they can only give 4 or 5, no 4.5). So the difference btween 4.1 and 4.3 is insignificant, it's a rounding error just like when you read out a ruler measurement.

• Hmm

Exactly what you just said. Yale is a better place to be a medical student but UCLA is a better place to do your residency. You are however, entering med school right now, not residency. Yale matches more people to Harvard residencies than to Yale ones which is unheard of

PD rating is on the scale of 1 to 5 discreet (i.e, they can only give 4 or 5, no 4.5). So the difference btween 4.1 and 4.3 is insignificant, it's a rounding error just like when you read out a ruler measurement.
I also found interesting that the peer evaluation score “academic deans, heads of departments, deans of admissions, etc.” is much higher than their residency PD score. In part I’ve heard may be because the Yale system frees up time for you to make a competitive application for residency but doesn’t necessarily prepare you to be the best resident you can be during your intern year since you learn less strictly clinical medicine. Just some food for thought but it’s an interesting trade-off.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is 1:40, give or take. Live farther west by a half hour and you can cut it down to an hour and change on weekends.

The perks are intangible that are hard to describe. That dream job? If you and the guy you're competing against are identical but his resume says Yale, he will get it, particularly if it is a power position beyond just the clinical

Thanks for your input. People getting into Yale though hold other acceptances to competitive places. They’re not simply interchangeable, of course, but you wouldn’t say there’s a point of diminishing returns on which, say, t10 you have listed on your resume? Or, outside of clinical, diminishing returns on having an ivy/Stanford/other well-established school generally?
Also important to consider residency > medical school education.

Thanks for your input. People getting into Yale though hold other acceptances to competitive places. They’re not simply interchangeable, of course, but you wouldn’t say there’s a point of diminishing returns on which, say, t10 you have listed on your resume? Or, outside of clinical, diminishing returns on having an ivy/Stanford/other well-established school generally?
Also important to consider residency > medical school education.
Yale will have little difference with regard to residency placement versus a highly ranked school (might actually be a bit better on average, honestly). However, I would strongly encourage you to consider that your career goals may be purely clinical now but they very well could change drastically as you age based on factors you could never have seen coming. That's where the real value of a Yale degree comes in.

Yale being ranked #15 has really caused a fire storm huh? Lol
Lol definitely not a great trend. But looking back on rankings over time usnwr seems pretty volatile anyways esp as methodologies change and wealthy billionaires donate to schools (Geffen, Perelman, vagelos, to name a few). I wonder if Yale would ever change its name or if the Yale brand is too valuable to dilute. Either way these rankings seem kind of arbitrary and I'm reevaluating how much I should be weighing it in my decision.

For example: total NIH funding is a huge factor in these rankings and after a certain point among these top institutions as a medical student I'm not sure how much of that funding really matters for my experience - especially when NIH funding includes not only the medical school but also ALL affiliated hospitals, which I may or may not ever rotate at or even step foot in.

Last edited:
Lol definitely not a great trend. But looking back on rankings over time usnwr seems pretty volatile anyways esp as methodologies change and wealthy billionaires donate to schools (Geffen, Perelman, vagelos, to name a few). I wonder if Yale would ever change its name or if the Yale brand is too valuable to dilute. Either way these rankings seem kind of arbitrary and I'm reevaluating how much I should be weighing it in my decision.

For example: total NIH funding is a huge factor in these rankings and after a certain point among these top institutions as a medical student I'm not sure how much of that funding really matters for my experience - especially when NIH funding includes not only the medical school but also ALL affiliated hospitals, which I may or may not ever rotate at or even step foot in.
The US New Ranking for medical schools should not play a role in this decision

Med school rankings are top 20/big names> all other programs that have home programs in most specialties> all other MD schools> DO> IMG

Only premeds care about the exact number ranking. Yale and UCLA will not limit you.

I believe Elihu Yale had a stipulation that the school name should never be changed.

My question for those pushing OP to go to Yale is will it ever be enough? Should we all be chasing HMS even if we’ve never been to Boston and have no love for the east coast? I’m not being sarcastic, truly for ex: I posted a thread about whether I should attend a Stanford interview after being accepted to UCSF and the response was overwhelmingly yes. I ended up with a WL from Stanford, but even if I would have gotten in, I think I would still matriculate at UCSF... is that a dumb decision bc of “intangibles” that the Stanford name would provide? I seriously can’t imagine a scenario where UCLA will prevent you from getting a job, even outside of clinical medicine. Yale is great obviously but cmon, free UCLA? Pretty sweet deal imo but I have never been in “the halls of power” so take it with a grain of salt.

But to clarify: OP go to Yale if you hate UCLA, just don’t go only because of Yale’s name and potential opportunities, both will provide that. One thing I definitely didn’t like about UCLA is they seemed externally focused and not laser focused on their school.

My question for those pushing OP to go to Yale is will it ever be enough? Should we all be chasing HMS even if we’ve never been to Boston and have no love for the east coast? I’m not being sarcastic, truly for ex: I posted a thread about whether I should attend a Stanford interview after being accepted to UCSF and the response was overwhelmingly yes. I ended up with a WL from Stanford, but even if I would have gotten in, I think I would still matriculate at UCSF... is that a dumb decision bc of “intangibles” that the Stanford name would provide? I seriously can’t imagine a scenario where UCLA will prevent you from getting a job, even outside of clinical medicine. Yale is great obviously but cmon, free UCLA? Pretty sweet deal imo but I have never been in “the halls of power” so take it with a grain of salt.

UCLA will not prevent you from getting a job. In my mind, all of these top schools are equivalent in that regard and their is diminishing returns. The only two benefits to going to Yale are less stress during med school and being able to say you go to Yale. Some might argue that the latter isn't worth it but I would say that the former definitely is

But to clarify: OP go to Yale if you hate UCLA, just don’t go only because of Yale’s name and potential opportunities, both will provide that. One thing I definitely didn’t like about UCLA is they seemed externally focused and not laser focused on their school.
What do you mean by externally
focused? I definitely didn’t hate UCLA it’s moreso if the extra Money (~120k total) is worth me staying on the east coast/higher chance of matching back to a program I’d be happy at.

What do you mean by externally
focused? I definitely didn’t hate UCLA it’s moreso if the extra Money (~120k total) is worth me staying on the east coast/higher chance of matching back to a program I’d be happy at.
I see, well that might be worth it if you are set on matching back in the east coast. When I interviewed there I got the sense that administration was focused on other people’s/ organizations’ opinion of their school. The details may be fuzzy (this was months ago) but they brought up USNWR and mentioned that they believe they’re “better” than the schools that outrank them which I think is just counterproductive and strange. The dean of admissions saying they’re the “best medical school in the known universe” is kind of silly too but I understand this is a joke that isn’t meant to be taken seriously. All of this may have nothing to do with the student body or your actual experience there. It just turned me off to the attitude of admin at the school but I was there for a day and didn’t consider UCLA strongly due to a pretty terrible financial aid package that I received there.

I see, well that might be worth it if you are set on matching back in the east coast. When I interviewed there I got the sense that administration was focused on other people’s/ organizations’ opinion of their school. The details may be fuzzy (this was months ago) but they brought up USNWR and mentioned that they believe they’re “better” than the schools that outrank them which I think is just counterproductive and strange. The dean of admissions saying they’re the “best medical school in the known universe” is kind of silly too but I understand this is a joke that isn’t meant to be taken seriously. All of this may have nothing to do with the student body or your actual experience there. It just turned me off to the attitude of admin at the school but I was there for a day and didn’t consider UCLA strongly due to a pretty terrible financial aid package that I received there.
Let's just say UCLA is a solid t20 and that's about it. LA is very overrated in many ways.

• Wow

This was in response to Yale being ranked lower than UCLA. The argument was that despite the lower rank Yale’s brand has significant holding power. Brand name matters in both academic medicine and private practice. It also has an impact outside the field of medicine in general. UCLA has a brand but when it comes to the brand of global prestige Harvard and Yale are just on another level. UCLA isn’t even the best regarded program in its own state (Stanford and UCSF).

• Wow
It kind of does discredit that point when the question is Yale vs. UCLA. Lol.

Bottom line is that Yale is far more prestigious than UCLA. Its 10x more prestigious outside of medicine and slightly more prestige inside of medicine. See the following from a wise physician

I wouldn't recommend focusing on USNWR rank, as it means little when you are comparing two top schools like these. I also wouldn't focus too much on "Geffen scholar prestige" - while it can help, it is not going to be as big a factor as other metrics such as your performance and the the reputation of your school.

To answer your question, yes Yale has a stronger name at the medical school level (not hospital level though) compared to UCLA, even here on the west coast. This is not a knock on UCLA, just a statement of strength for Yale. You can compare the historical match outcomes from each school and see for yourself: Yale matches on another level than most other schools in the country, UCLA included.

You're worried about the grading scheme: from my understanding UCLA has a fairly typical grading scheme (H/HP/P/F) on clinical rotations, and grading can be highly variable depending on the actual site you rotate at. Yale heavily inflates clinical rotation grades such that a majority of the class gets honors. This is fairly typical of elite private schools.

Based on the fact that you have family in the northeast, you want to match in the northeast, and you may want to do a competitive surgery residency such as plastics, I would choose Yale. I think based on what you've told us you would be happier there, and it would be quite a bit easier to match into a competitive surgical specialty in the northeast. You also say that the COA would be 5 K/year at Yale which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

• Okay...
While Yale may have the Ivy prestige, for someone comparing Yale to the Geffen scholly, I don’t think there would be a significant difference in match potential-career in academia. Whatever work they did to earn the Geffen probably correlates with the work ethic they will project in med school—which in turn would lead to a great match outcome anyway.

One thing I noticed is that public schools tend to have large class sizes—which may make resources scarce (comparatively speaking). But I think the Geffen scholarship is intended to give more individual guidance/handholding, no? If one intends on pursuing opportunities within academia (and not something in the private sector where the Ivy degree may be highly sought after), I think either school would be totally fine.

While Yale may have the Ivy prestige, for someone comparing Yale to the Geffen scholly, I don’t think there would be a significant difference in match potential-career in academia. Whatever work they did to earn the Geffen probably correlates with the work ethic they will project in med school—which in turn would lead to a great match outcome anyway.

One thing I noticed is that public schools tend to have large class sizes—which may make resources scarce (comparatively speaking). But I think the Geffen scholarship is intended to give more individual guidance/handholding, no? If one intends on pursuing opportunities within academia (and not something in the private sector where the Ivy degree may be highly sought after), I think either school would be totally fine.

I highly doubt a school will give preferential treatment to a subgroup of students because they got a full-ride scholarship. Let's stop glorifying this geffen scholarship. It becomes comical by the minute.

I highly doubt a school will give preferential treatment to a subgroup of students because they got a full-ride scholarship.

I dont know the specifics of the program but I suppose these would be good questions to ask at UCLA’s virtual “second look”

I dont know the specifics of the program but I suppose these would be good questions to ask at UCLA’s virtual “second look”
a school will be perceived as practicing elitism and favoritism if they give preferential treatment to that subgroup. It will undermine unity among students and corrode the equality principle in education.

Last edited:
a school will be perceived as practicing elitism and favoritism if they give preferential treatment to that subgroup. It will undermine unity among students and corrode the equality principle in education.
But don't undergraduate universities do this at many state schools (the idea of honors colleges) and even some ivies (particular endowed "scholars" programs which lend their students extra support)?

there is 1 extra event yearly, but that's just a QandA about how the funds are distributed etc. Otherwise its the exact same experience.

let us glorify the scholarship because you graduate with no debt :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.