Yale anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rugtrousers said:
I heard from a good source that there is a cutoff this year because the # of apps are way up, but I don't have a clue what it is. I think they're interviewing upwards of 150 people this year, if that helps.

I can only speak from my own experience, and judging from my Step 1 score, there is not an automatic cutoff number. If there is, either it is not an impressively high humber, or they make exceptions.

Members don't see this ad.

supahfresh said:
Solid group of folks last night. We had a good time at Bar.

BAR...??? this place is getting O L D :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
supahfresh said:
Solid group of folks last night. We had a good time at Bar. Two of the applicants figured out that I was supahfresh which was pretty funny. Just look for the guy talking about skiing, surfing, and ice climbing.
Wsup supahfresh
i was out with ya'll on tuesday night
i hope it went well. i really enjoyed yale and was sold on it after the dinner..
only problem is i dont think my first interview went to hot.
did they tell you anything the day of your interview that was positive, besides "you would be a good fit in our program"?

sleepwithme said:
Wsup supahfresh
i was out with ya'll on tuesday night
i hope it went well. i really enjoyed yale and was sold on it after the dinner..
only problem is i dont think my first interview went to hot.
did they tell you anything the day of your interview that was positive, besides "you would be a good fit in our program"?

Yeah man. That was fun, but we should have stayed out later. I think that's pretty good to hear you'll be a good fit. They really can't say much more than that. They take notice of the people that seem to like the program. If both the applicant and program are happy with each other, then it usually works out.

I can't wait to come to Yale (early Jan)! :clap:

Just to reiterate a lot of the positive things about Yale and the New Haven area that Supahfresh mentioned...

I came from living in large metropolitan cities and before moving to New Haven had also heard a lot of trash talk about the city. I have not witnessed the kind of crime that was mentioned in above posts, but I'm not saying the gun/knife club isn't out there. I think the crime has been pretty well confined to certain smaller neighborhoods in the city and if you just keep your wits about you as you learn to do in a large city, you'll be fine. That means don't walk around in the dark by yourself at 3am in a sketchy neighborhood and then be surprised that you're finding trouble.

I live about 5 miles from the hospital in one of the nearby suburbs, which they are many surrounding the campus and all of which are fairly affordable on a residents' salary. I do have a car but it's not necessary if you choose to live in downtown New Haven.

The program isn't trying to hide anything from applicants. They make residents very available to the applicants in a forum where they needn't worry about people judging them and affecting their interview. You are free to ask whatever questions you must and most residents will give you honest answers.

Call schedule progressively gets better with your tenure here. It's a seniority based system, but that works out well when you want to focus on subspecialty rotations in CA-2 and then interviewing for jobs/board studying in Ca-3 year. Ca-1s typically do a little more call but they also learn a lot more and get to do bigger cases than in a typical day while on call.

Currently, as a CA-2 I get about 4-5 calls/month. Parking is not covered for by program, but we get a special rate and the garage has good security; it comes out to about $50/month for us. Salary for CA-2 this year is $49,600, plus all the book allowance, and housestaff/travel money we get too. There are some moonlighting opportunities in CA-2/3 years to help supplement and the hospital has been implementing a Pay for your Performance incentive program that even rewards the residents in the department for meeting certain quotas i.e. antibiotics administered on time, cases started on time as scheduled. We just got a $600 bonus for the year from the hospital for that.

I'm very happy with my residency program. We do work hard but it's reasonable considering it is residency. We get plenty of volume. There isn't the resident stacking that was eluded to before. There are days that are just slow and they schedule people to work together, but essentially emergent/urgent cases come up during the day and the resident gets pulled to do an urgent case.

Anyway,hope that clears up some questions. If you guys have more, feel free to PM

supahfresh said:
Trisomy, where were ya? I thought you were coming to interview this week?

Hey.

I was there January 3-4th flying under the radar. I met CaliGirlDO at the dinner but ended up going back to the hotel and not to BAR. Spent the night before on someone's couch, and had two interview days back-to-back so I figured I should get some sleep instead. Besides, I wouldn't want to run into my crazy exgf at BAR in those circumstances. Jamaican girls can hold a grudge, y'know. :laugh:

I had a good interview day - met with Drs. Rosenbaum and Kosaruussavadi (that name barely fits on the thank you card envelope) and had good discussions with both of them.

I'm still somewhat on the fence about how I feel towards New Haven. The program itself seems strong and everyone seemed pleased/happy with it. The faculty seem like a real strong point. Dr. Hines alluded to this when she talked to us about how you have the opportunity to meet with brilliant faculty from other departments in the hospital/school as well, and how research there is phenomenal. The interesting faculty is what kept me there for graduate school, and is very appealing as far as residency is concerned.

I just have to make sure I want to return to New Haven for 3 more years before I decide where Yale ends up on my ROL. I am also somewhat sensitive to the power of the Yale "name" - i.e., how happy are the residents with the actual work, program, experience compared to how much is an effect of just "going to Yale". There is a subtle difference there, but I think it's an important one, and I didn't get a real feel for it either way when I was there (which is my fault, because I ducked out during the lunch to visit some old friends and professors in the dept. of epidemiology).

Aren't you glad you asked? :laugh:

all that being said, the big "Y" is in my top 5, but I'm nowhere near finalizing a top 3. this ROL business is going to perf an ulcer.

ok, i figured since I hadn't met you that for sure you would have been in our last group (yesterday). don't hesitate to ask any questions. and yes, making your rank list is a b itch.

so who's coming to New Haven this winter? We take our applicants out to the bars after the dinner but this year it seems like nobody wants to stay out late. you guys mean buisness!

SF

hehe.

i do have to ask though - why does the interview day start so early? 6:30 is an unearthly hour. that may have a lot to do with why people don't want to go out. it's okay for people like me, but i imagine for folks from the pacific time zone it must be like pulling an all-nighter.

they want you guys to come to grand rounds at 7:00 am. yeah, its early, but i have to go in earlier to set up my room. its tough to stay out late but its a good time. try and stay a little late if you can. its usally a good time.