Y!IFMBA: Random thoughts of the pediatric minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait until after you Match. There's a lot of programs out there that will pay for your Step 3 fees. My current program will pay for Step 3 as long as you register for it during intern year; you don't have to take it intern year, just register. So that's what I've done, and I'm planning on taking it this spring.
Ooh, thanks for the tip!

Members don't see this ad.

I get this almost daily!
i'm so glad i'm not the only one.

But I never put stock in what other docs say in regards to career choice (otherwise, I wouldn't have gone to med school in the first place :laugh:)

true.. my dad also told me not to go to med school. if i defied him once i guess i can do it again! :p

That's kinda interesting that you got it from your FM preceptor too....last time I checked, THEY get a lot of the same crap that we get regarding general Peds!

yeah, i even asked him, "you mean peds is worse than FM?" when he commented that peds is a hard way to earn a living, and he said yes!

i got some validation today though. another FM doc in the same clinic told me to do what i love or i won't be happy. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i am all about getting step 3 out of the way the sooner the better. tomorrow is my last med school exam -- yah!!!

lol. from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=495534

PEDIATRICS
Farewell, crusty old pediatricians with the icy stethoscopes, old-grandpa smell and bedside manner inspired by Dr. Spock. The lasses who want to become kiddie doctors today—and they are quite often lasses—are widely considered the "nicest" and "most compassionate" kids in the class, if not the most aggressive go-getters.
With its low pay and limited prestige value—these folks are "just" keeping our future generations healthy, after all—pediatrics tends to rank low on the competitive scale (the median pediatrician board score is the fifth lowest in the Match). But what the future peds might lack in cutthroat drive, they make up for in stubborn determination.
"Everyone understands that pediatricians go into pediatrics because they're passionate about taking care of children, and not because they want to make money," said pediatrician-to-be Celia Quinn. "So it's really hard to talk someone out of doing pediatrics."

OK, random question...when should I take step 3? Should I take it before all the knowledge of adult medicine, OB/GYN, etc leaves me, or after I've had some experience being a "real doctor"? Or somewhere in between?

Take it near the end of an elective rotation during intern year. That way, you will still remember a lot of things from med school, but you can also take some time to go through the study books (I can recommend First Aid for Step 3, and - as always - do a lot of practice questions).

Take it near the end of an elective rotation during intern year. That way, you will still remember a lot of things from med school, but you can also take some time to go through the study books (I can recommend First Aid for Step 3, and - as always - do a lot of practice questions).

Good advice! I like this idea. And thanks to SweetTea, I will definitely not register until I can get my program to pay for it. Sweet. :D

Ok, can I discuss Idol now? I'm a little shocked about the girls last night. I definitely think Amanda should have gone home before either one of the girls that went home last night! Amanda wasn't even in the bottom three! I smell a little votefortheworst action here. I felt so bad for Alaina, but I'm really glad the girls came out to support her and she went ahead and sang her song through the tears.

The boys, I can agree with.

One of my fave celeb smut websites posted a side-by-side comparison of Amanda with her skunky hair and Johnny Depp from Sweeney Todd....:laugh::laugh::laugh: They really do look similar!

lol. from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=495534

PEDIATRICS
Farewell, crusty old pediatricians with the icy stethoscopes, old-grandpa smell and bedside manner inspired by Dr. Spock. The lasses who want to become kiddie doctors today—and they are quite often lasses—are widely considered the “nicest” and “most compassionate” kids in the class, if not the most aggressive go-getters.
With its low pay and limited prestige value—these folks are “just” keeping our future generations healthy, after all—pediatrics tends to rank low on the competitive scale (the median pediatrician board score is the fifth lowest in the Match). But what the future peds might lack in cutthroat drive, they make up for in stubborn determination.
“Everyone understands that pediatricians go into pediatrics because they’re passionate about taking care of children, and not because they want to make money,” said pediatrician-to-be Celia Quinn. “So it’s really hard to talk someone out of doing pediatrics.”

Yeah, I think the shoe fits. I'm wearin' it. :D

hi sorry, i'm new to this posting thing, I asked this same question as a new thread, but i meant to post it here, sorry if i'm taking up space :)

I'm an MSIII interested in peds, and I'd like to apply to the top 15-20 programs, my step 1 is 243, and I've done all rotations except for ob and IM and have all HP and H, and HP in peds with very good evals (they're pretty stingy with H's in my program). My year I and II have been mostly HP and H, with 1 or 2 Ps, my question is I had to remediate the oral exam portion of our clinical skills class, because I was nervous and forgot to ask some questions, so now I have a big R on my transcript that WILL show up on ERAS. My question is will that R hurt me if i'm applying to these top notch places. I know that 99% of peds programs are virtually identical, but I still want to apply specifically to these places. Any insight in this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ok, can I discuss Idol now? I'm a little shocked about the girls last night. I definitely think Amanda should have gone home before either one of the girls that went home last night! Amanda wasn't even in the bottom three! I smell a little votefortheworst action here. I felt so bad for Alaina, but I'm really glad the girls came out to support her and she went ahead and sang her song through the tears.

The boys, I can agree with.

I was very surprised by the girls as well. Both of them had good performances. Although, being memorable is obviously key in this contest. Sometimes being memorably bad (Amanda) is better than just giving a solid but forgettable performance.

I figured votefortheworst had something to do with it.

Can I just say that I love my pedi anesthesia rotation? I've done 6 successful intubations this week and at least that many lines. Perfect lead-in to intern year, I hope.

I was very surprised by the girls as well. Both of them had good performances. Although, being memorable is obviously key in this contest. Sometimes being memorably bad (Amanda) is better than just giving a solid but forgettable performance.

I figured votefortheworst had something to do with it.

Oh, boy!! I almost posted my thoughts on American Idol last night, but I realized that I'm in central time, so west coast and others may not have seen it yet. Didn't wanna ruin it :eek:

Votefortheworst.com definitely had something to do with that. Amanda is a one trick pony, and she really needed to go!!

I agree with the guys who left, too, definitely!! And I loved that they made fun of Simon's stupid hand position at the beginning of the show. My hubby and I were talking about how odd that was that he was doing it the past few nights, hehe. :laugh:

OK - so fun! I've been outty for awhile, but am here now!!!

1. Marigold, please please please don't use MD when you mean doctor. Some of us are DO's and it peeves me everytime I see MD when it should say physician/PCP/HO, etc. I get this nearly daily, and I am in a DO friendly state.

2. Carl's junior is SOOOO much better than Hardee's. Carl's junior has friend zucchini and the santa fe chicken sandwich. Although I did eat something very similar with beef the other day at a Hardee's...

3. youndoc8205, dude, TOTALLY relax!!! If you get interviews at the places you want to go, you should be ok, as most will weed first on academic issues. I have found that most pediatricians are soooo into "everyone has their own learning style" that a few bumps along the way on the transcript do not kill you. That said, even in my little tiny community residency program, our program does look at scores (as a WHOLE) on applicants because I have heard (more than once) that "we don't want people to fail the peds boards" and make the program look bad.

4. I used to watch Idol with my son and I realized that Simon Cowell was not a good influence on him. He is totally mean and I saw him rip to shreds a person who was so apparently mentally ill (that was 2 or 3 seasons ago). So I turned it off. We did watch a few tryouts this year, though (my kid is older and we can discuss the mean-ness now), and I was wondering - did that girl who was on the LAST day of auditions who sang like Dolly Parton make it through to the top 24? The skinny blonde one? The one who they gave a second chance to?

y'all are awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
did that girl who was on the LAST day of auditions who sang like Dolly Parton make it through to the top 24? The skinny blonde one? The one who they gave a second chance to?

Nooooooo, she did not!! I almost totally forgot about her. She made it to Hollywood week, but I'm not sure if we ever saw her again on the show. Thankfully!! She'd be too much like Amanda....good at one specific genre but nothing else.

Unless you liked her? Then I apologize. :love:

PS, Kristing....I LOVE your little picture/avatar thing!! Rudolph is like my favorite movie ever!! The abominable snowman is so misunderstood :(

Yes, Carl's Jr is totally better...that was the point I was trying to make, even though they are the same company :hardy:

On another TV related note...LOST anyone? Is everyone as confused as me?

(Sorry I'm bored tonight, so I'm all over these forums....)

Yes, Lost is getting a bit bizarr-o!! I still love it though. My husband is losing interest quickly, as are a lot of people though. I'm still totally into it!!

PS, I seriously watch A LOT of TV, if you haven't noticed already....4th year has been good to me ;) Thank gosh the writers' strike is over though. Really affected me!!

PS, Kristing....I LOVE your little picture/avatar thing!! Rudolph is like my favorite movie ever!! The abominable snowman is so misunderstood :(

AMEN! I have a picture of me with Bumble when he walked through our PICU. Love him!

Yes, Carl's Jr is totally better...that was the point I was trying to make, even though they are the same company :hardy:

I don't know anything about these burger places. Sushi anyone? :p

I actually thought the Lost episode this week was better than the last few. I kinda like that they're getting back to the mystery surrounding the island. I don't believe we'll ever get explanations for everything, so they may as well make it entertaining. (love 4th year tv time!)

my S/O has said about 14 times since thursday that the LOST episode was awesome. i totally agree- though i am not perseverating over it quite as much...

and 3 cheers to crazypeds527 for the thorough outline in the FAQ thread!:clap::clap::clap:

and 3 cheers to crazypeds527 for the thorough outline in the FAQ thread!:clap::clap::clap:

True that!

Now I don't feel bad about throwing out the Itchy.

Does anyone have a good strategy for avoiding buying girl scout cookies when assaulted by 3 cute little girls as you leave the grocery store?

What about when your co-worker is selling them for his/her daughter(s)?

I've tried "no hablo ingles" but that's a tough sell in the second case and with the 3 little girls there's a good chance I'll hear back "no problemo, hablamos español, señor.":oops:

Does anyone have a good strategy for avoiding buying girl scout cookies when assaulted by 3 cute little girls as you leave the grocery store?

I've tried "no hablo ingles" but that's a tough sell in the second case and with the 3 little girls there's a good chance I'll hear back "no problemo, hablamos español, señor.":oops:

I don't see the problem...buy from everyone.

Mmm, cookies.

Thanks for the love guys! :luck:

I agree with Iatros...the more cookies the better, especially putting the thin mints in the freezer and eating them when frozen...

I love cookies

I agree with Iatros...the more cookies the better, especially putting the thin mints in the freezer and eating them when frozen...

I love cookies

You just made me SO hungry!!

do not underestimate the bartering strength of the girl scout cookie!

I love cookies
*drools*

Somehow, I have completed avoided the GS cookie issue in recent years. Don't know how that happened.

I did, however, make my own oatmeal cranberry cookies this afternoon. :D (yes, I needed to be studying. I always bake when I should be studying!)

*drools*

Somehow, I have completed avoided the GS cookie issue in recent years. Don't know how that happened.

Just wait until you're in pedi-land full-time and every nurse comes up to you selling GS cookies for their daughters! I like the cookies, but after buying the first dozen or so boxes each year for friends/colleagues it's a bit much to have to face the army of cute little kids at the grocery store who want me to buy just one box.

and, as has been pointed out, they do taste good so the likelihood of not eating them and their calories, is low.

Just wait until you're in pedi-land full-time and every nurse comes up to you selling GS cookies for their daughters! I like the cookies, but after buying the first dozen or so boxes each year for friends/colleagues it's a bit much to have to face the army of cute little kids at the grocery store who want me to buy just one box.

and, as has been pointed out, they do taste good so the likelihood of not eating them and their calories, is low.

My dad would never, ever sell cookies (or any other fundraiser item) at work. It always made me so mad. It felt so unfair, because he was the boss, so he felt like he shouldn't do it, but all the people under him (some of whom were the parents of my classmates) would bring stuff in. Now I understand his point, but it got to me back then. I just figured hey, he's the boss, he can just make the all buy it!!

Frozen thin mints, mmmm ... I've been transported back to my childhood with that thought ... and my teenage years ... and college ... and after college ... and med school ... and ... oh wait, what's that in my freezer now?

OK - so fun! I've been outty for awhile, but am here now!!!

1. Marigold, please please please don't use MD when you mean doctor. Some of us are DO's and it peeves me everytime I see MD when it should say physician/PCP/HO, etc. I get this nearly daily, and I am in a DO friendly state.

Oh! I didn't even realize I had done that....I'll have to go back and find the post(s) and edit it. I certainly didn't mean any offense!!! I apologize. This is where online communication breaks down sometimes...I'm actually the kind of person who hates it when people are exclusive of other people through their words and actions. Perhaps TR can vouch for that? :D Anyway, I do apologize; I hadn't even realized, thanks for pointing it out!

Oh, boy!! I almost posted my thoughts on American Idol last night, but I realized that I'm in central time, so west coast and others may not have seen it yet. Didn't wanna ruin it :eek:

:eek: I didn't even think about this! I guess we should continue waiting until the day after to post AI-related stuff, huh?

Oh! I didn't even realize I had done that....I'll have to go back and find the post(s) and edit it. I certainly didn't mean any offense!!! I apologize. This is where online communication breaks down sometimes...I'm actually the kind of person who hates it when people are exclusive of other people through their words and actions. Perhaps TR can vouch for that? :D Anyway, I do apologize; I hadn't even realized, thanks for pointing it out!
*raises right hand*
I hereby verify and vouch that Marigold is the most thoughtful and kind person I know and would never knowingly exclude others by deed or action.

She also loves shoes and cats and mindless tv shows, which furthers her status in my books. ;)

*raises right hand*
I hereby verify and vouch that Marigold is the most thoughtful and kind person I know and would never knowingly exclude others by deed or action.

She also loves shoes and cats and mindless tv shows, which furthers her status in my books. ;)

Thanks, friend. :oops:

OK, I have 2 more lectures to watch in order to be all studied up for this silly test we have on Thursday....I'm off to watch them, and I'm not allowed to post until I'm done!!

You could learn a few words in Russian, next time you go to Usbekistan. That eliminates the need for lying, you could just say "I don't speak Russian" (in Russian). ;)
With the co-workers, how about a counter-attack of selling stuff that you made for a local benefit (e.g. a car seat donation program for babies who are ready to be discharged but can't go home by car without a car seat)? If you can't/won't eat all the cookies you purchase, just leave them open on the counter in some hospital workroom, and they will be gone before too long! I don't think the vendors will be insulted, as they get to eat them, too...
Now, I haven't seen any girls selling cookies in front of the grocery store since my sports medicine elective last year - maybe you should start going there on your way home from the NICU at 11 pm!

What do we watch on Monday night?

I'm all studied out for the day and looking for distractions.

Monday's suck!! October Road is what I watch....and my soap opera from earlier in the day. :D

no, its a marginal show at best. focus on starting a petition to get scrubs off the air. every new episode is worse than the last and nowhere near the quality of the first 3 to 4 seasons

I have to agree. I couldn't find anything to watch. Maybe I should start watching October Road?

I dunno. Honestly, it's not very good....I mean, it passes the time, but still. :cool:

At 10 on Mondays HGTV does House Hunters which my wife and I really like. Though tonight's show was a special millionaire's edition with a family agonzing over having to choose between three $3-4 million houses. No sympathy, that's all I'm saying.

Just another w00t for Houston.

Getting the handshake to the "Happiest Place on Earth" - I like it. :laugh:

Just talk to some of the residents about the insane amount of time they spend rotating through the ER before the handshake. Some folks just don't do well in that environment... which would be the opposite of me, since I spend all of my time in the pedi ER now. :thumbup:

Other random thought - what's up with this cold snap in Houston? Doesn't the weather know that we're never supposed to get below 65F here?

JohnnyWalker:

This is the last season of scrubs; the creator and writers have already stated as such. I didn't think the 6th season was horrible...this one though...eh.

Favorite season??

Im a season 4 guy (Co-Chief residents!); although one of my favorite episodes, the one where JD plays jiggly ball with the janitors is from season 5.

Also, for TV this month, 2 words: COLLEGE BASKETBALL!!!

are there any other crazed fans out there ready for march madness??!!:D Who's your team?

favorite season of scrubs...tough one. probably season three or four, i'd have to really think it out. "god bless mollys everywhere!"

but the real sad thing is that I signed up for an away elective to japan that cuts into the entire nc2a tourney. oops. wonder if they'll have brackets to fill out & an office pool. dollars to donuts it's UCLA this year...

Other random thought - what's up with this cold snap in Houston? Doesn't the weather know that we're never supposed to get below 65F here?

I'm loving it. Bundling up, wearing my warm clothes, running in the crisp air - love it. August in Houston - hate it. Luckily, I will be living inside the hospital at that point (perhaps on an ER rotation!), so I'll have to bring my sweater to protect from the arctic chill of the air conditioning.

Just another w00t for Houston.

Just talk to some of the residents about the insane amount of time they spend rotating through the ER before the handshake. Some folks just don't do well in that environment... which would be the opposite of me, since I spend all of my time in the pedi ER now. :thumbup:

Well, I've actually signed myself up to spend time in the ER before residency even starts!! :D Four weeks, starting March 24th. I'm actually getting pretty excited! A few years ago I thought I might want to be an ER doc...now I know I definitely don't want to take care of ADULTS in the ER, but I'm excited about experiencing the ER with an all-peds patient population. I think I will like it tons more that way.

I'm loving it. Bundling up, wearing my warm clothes, running in the crisp air - love it. August in Houston - hate it. Luckily, I will be living inside the hospital at that point (perhaps on an ER rotation!), so I'll have to bring my sweater to protect from the arctic chill of the air conditioning.

I can't say I'm loving it right now (I like it a little bit warmer), but I can agree with your sentiments regarding August. But, we won't know the difference this year. Leaving home before the sun rises, getting back home after it sets.... :oops: