Y!IFMBA: Random thoughts of the pediatric minded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is also too high in phosphorus for newborns. Good luck with boards. Those of us who had to do oral boards think the new system is easy. I was shown an x-ray of miliary TB. I was clueless.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks but not needed... I took the boards a couple of yrs ago and passed :D
I guess I am so hung up on the goat's milk thing from all the study trauma. Perhaps I should head over to the psych boards and have some CBT done on me. Although I think ECT may actually do the trick :eek: .

So you took them back when they had orals, eh OBP? That's cool... at least you don't have to worry about that wholel recertification thing every 7 years :thumbup: .

Nardo

I guess I am so hung up on the goat's milk thing from all the study trauma. Perhaps I should head over to the psych boards and have some CBT done on me. Although I think ECT may actually do the trick :eek: .

So you took them back when they had orals, eh OBP? That's cool... at least you don't have to worry about that wholel recertification thing every 7 years :thumbup: .

Nardo

As the line goes, I took all my exams back when you still needed #2 pencils to take exams.:rolleyes:

I took the last pedi and the last neo lifetime certification administrations. I have never considered voluntary recertification.

Actually, I get asked about the goat's milk thing fairly often....but that's because it's in my line of work. :)

Hopefully you're planning the big SDN party at SPR '08 in Hawaii! When it gets closer we'll post a planning thread....

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe I have to go spend month on the adult wards in Psych soon. :p At least I managed to get a month of Pedi Psych as well. Last core rotation!

Well, this adult oriented psych rotation will help prepare you to deal with one of the most mentally ill populations out there..... parents. :D:D

Nardo

New (cool) random fact: I jumped in a bouncy castle today!!! We had it at our church party, and it was so great, I had always wanted to do it again!!!
:love:

(gotta stay up to date in your patients' world, hehehe)

As the line goes, I took all my exams back when you still needed #2 pencils to take exams.:rolleyes:

Hopefully you're planning the big SDN party at SPR '08 in Hawaii! When it gets closer we'll post a planning thread....

i like when the 3rd year resident says "well when i was in med school..." and then catches him/herself, and you can see the thought "oh no! i'm already turning into
Dr.NAMEofPERSONwhoCANTdo5minutesOFroundsWITHOUTthoseWORDScomingOUTofHISmouth"

i am hoping all my work will end up being done/ready/not too old for SPR in hawaii, that would be fun, it would a lot of fun to put faces to all the people i have met on SDN!

Who else is going to the AAP NCE (National Conference and Exhibition) in S.F. this year (end of October)? I'll be there for the first half of it :)

There are many "useless facts" I have accumulated especially during my study for the pediatric boards.

One example. I got a practice question wrong because I did not know this fact. The fact is so useless to me unless I decide to open practice in a commune filled with hippies. But the sheer exasperation I felt when I was told I should know this bit of info has now made me remember it for life. One day I think, I will put it on a black t-shirt with white moderately sized writing (hell, maybe I'll even put it in my sig):

Goat's milk has no folate.

I randomly thought of this post the other day in class when the lecturer mentioned goat's milk being deficient in folate. And now it's forever ingrained in my mind as well. Thanks Bernardo.

Members don't see this ad :)
this made me chuckle! it's so true both useless facts and goat's milk has not folate

I've been told that goat cheese is easier on the stomach of someone who is lactose-intolerant. I can't imagine how that could be the case. Is there less lactose in goat's milk? :confused:

Apparently most of the random thoughts of the pediatric minded seem to involve goats milk. Good to know.

Apparently most of the random thoughts of the pediatric minded seem to involve goats milk. Good to know.

yummmm.... loooove goat cheese.

especially with nice soft sourdough baguette.

TexasRose
I'm running my first marathon April 6th and wondered if you had any good advice for me. I'm using Hal Higdon's training for the novice. I've had a couple of friends training for marathons in the past and they have ended up with injuries before the race. Any tips on warming up, or training in general you have would be great. Thanks!

TexasRose
I'm running my first marathon April 6th and wondered if you had any good advice for me. I'm using Hal Higdon's training for the novice. I've had a couple of friends training for marathons in the past and they have ended up with injuries before the race. Any tips on warming up, or training in general you have would be great. Thanks!
Hi. :)

I ran my first marathon a couple of years ago using a similar program. Something I've learned from my experience and that of many others is that miles and speed are vital to injury prevention.

Miles- You should be putting in enough miles each week so that your body is well prepared to take the pounding of the marathon. I'm not familiar with the Higdon program, but I imagine that it takes you up slowly in mileage over several months, right? Run too few miles during the week and you may wind up with a stress fracture when you start running the really long long runs. My coach says your longest run of the week should be no more than 33% of your total mileage for the entire week. (yes, that makes for a lot of miles!) At least one run should be 18-20 miles 4-5 weeks before the marathon.

Speed- With the exception of speed-specific runs once a week (at the most) all your miles should be done at 1-2 mins/mile slower than your planned pace for the marathon. So, if you plan to run 10 min miles at the marathon, most of your miles should be run at an easy 11-12 minute pace. Yes, this seems slow, but you need to build endurance, not speed, on the training runs.

I've seen a bunch of really fast runners wind up injured before the marathon and it's often the ones who always run as if it's a race. They don't slow down and they wind up with overuse injuries.

Have fun with the training! Marathons are a singular accomplishment and well worth the work! :D

ps- do you run with anyone? Having a running partner, at least for the long runs once a week, makes it much more enjoyable!

Anyone thinking of anything besides interviews and rank lists? :smuggrin:

I'm knee deep in Step 2 prep. *yech* Better than step 1, though.

Hey Reba, how's the marathon training going? I have 2 more full weeks until I start my 3 week taper before my marathon. :D

Okay, how 'bout favorite holiday recipes/foods/traditions?

We have a Christmas tree decorating party each year. This party always includes decorated sugar cookies and lots of finger foods. I recently had a divine slice of gingerbread cake at a lovely small-town bakery and am thinking of trying to recreate it for our Tree party dessert.

:)

Okay, how 'bout favorite holiday recipes/foods/traditions?

We have a Christmas tree decorating party each year. This party always includes decorated sugar cookies and lots of finger foods. I recently had a divine slice of gingerbread cake at a lovely small-town bakery and am thinking of trying to recreate it for our Tree party dessert.

:)

We have this bizarre tradition of having Christmas Eve dinner at McDonalds. It stems from an incident almost 2 decades ago when we were late getting ready for Christmas Eve mass, then my grandparents were late, too, so the only thing we had time for before mass started was a quick run to McDonalds. For some reason, the tradition stuck. It's now just about the only time every year that my daughter eats at fast food. Last year, though, there were several sketchy individuals at the particular McDonalds we go to, so we're thinking of switching to a Burger King closer to my parents house, which is in a much better part of town than the McDonalds.

Many of you are aware of the original thread titled "Yes! I Found My Broken Antenna" from the Lounge. A thread for random posts, thoughts, and chatty conversation. That original thread is no more (closed after too many posts), but the spirit lives on in it's many reincarnations.

Thought maybe the pedi forum could use a little random thread to liven up the place. ;)

Here's my random news for the day. My friend and running coach told me this morning that she believes I will be able to take an hour off my first marathon time from 2 years ago. :eek: I'll be running my second marathon in January.

In pedi news, I'm starting my Peds GI elective in a couple of weeks. :thumbup:

Ha! I remember that thread ! It was forever ago - after a while, it became my "safe and happy place" -- where I'd go when I had a bad day just to unwind. Yeah, I had way too much time on my hands at the time. :)
Random thought: I just saw a phenomenal movie today :

Paris Je'Taime. Freakin' amazing I thought.

What a brilliant idea - to split up the neighborhoods of Paris, and assign 20 amazing directors 5 minutes to produce a short film depicting what "love in Paris" is in that neighborhood - Every awesome director contributed: Gus Van Sant, teh Cohen Brothers, Wes Craven, director of "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and a lot of others as well It was really a brilliant film. Highly recommend it.

sounds a little more intellectual than the movie i saw this weekend...

chuck and larry.
it started out not so great (adam sandler was a bit more crude than i am used to him being, and i dont really like that sort of humor, but he calmed down, and some parts were really funny). anyway, i thought it was a good movie in that it brought issues to the table, and hopefully will provide some much needed empathy to some viewers.

i'll have to see paris j'taime. the question becomes, do i try to make it a date night movie, or should it be a sisters night movie?

Hmm... what did I see this weekend? Spiderwyck Chronicles!

That's what happens when you have kids. ;) Although I probably would have seen it anyway. I read good children's books when I have time. I hadn't read this one, though. One interesting thing that I noticed about this movie is that my role as a parent and as a soontobe doc affected my enjoyment of the movie. Such is life?

sounds a little more intellectual than the movie i saw this weekend...

chuck and larry.
it started out not so great (adam sandler was a bit more crude than i am used to him being, and i dont really like that sort of humor, but he calmed down, and some parts were really funny). anyway, i thought it was a good movie in that it brought issues to the table, and hopefully will provide some much needed empathy to some viewers.

i'll have to see paris j'taime. the question becomes, do i try to make it a date night movie, or should it be a sisters night movie?

To be fair, I think it might make a better sister night movie than a date movie -- because it's so artsy and all, and sometimes, admittedly, it does drag a little, also there are some productions that are just plain *out there*. So unless your man is into artsy type movies, get it for date night.

It reminded me of an Indy/Artsy version of "Love Actually," which I also loved.

I'm just glad it looks like there are decent movies coming out this summer; last year's movies were terrible!! I think maybe the only one that i thought was really good last year was American Gangster and Bourne Ultimatum

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo!!
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Dark Knight
Harry Potter 6

Hoping that 2008 will be a great movie year

On another note, who (as 4th years) is taking vacations soon? Out of the USA?

i'm excited to see vantage point. the bucket list is also on my to-see movies.

i took a vacation in september and october to tanzania, kenya, and ghana. it was awesome. i didnt do anything medically related technically, but i'd like to in the future (went then because my sister was finishing her 8 month visit then). i originally wanted to go to south america in May, but i think i am going to end up visiting my sister and my best friend from college who both live far away (for years, and i have never been to either's house).

Oooh, I really liked Paris Je'taime. Good stuff!

Last movie I saw was Definitely, Maybe....Friday afternoon matinee with TR. Ahhh, I love 4th year. :D It was a cute movie. Definitely a chick flick, but cute and I enjoyed it.

My hubby and I are traveling slightly out of the country...down to the Mayan Riviera. We've never been, but flights were cheap and we're both psyched about the awesome snorkeling (and my hubby SCUBA dives) and the nice protracted beach time. There will be a whole lot of R&R, definitely seeing the ruins in Tulum and Chichen Itza, eating of Mexican food...I'm very excited. :hardy:

This ranking process sucks. I hate it.

Yesterday's movie: High School Musical 2. Good times.

:laugh: I'm laughing at your movie "choice," not your ranking dilemmas.

I'm going to be in Hawai'i twice in May. Once for SPR in Honolulu and once for my graduation trip to Kauai. :D (didn't know I'd be going to SPR when we made the other plans)

What's pathetic is a recent conversation I had with someone else, debating whether High School Musical 1 or 2 was better and why. We determined that 1 was better, as the angst in it seemed more palpable and convincing than in 2. Then we began speculating what High School Musical 3 would involve. Yeah.

Vacation for us will be Budapest, Vienna and Prague in May, no kiddo in tow! I'll be thinking of you, TR, in Kauai. After my visit there in August, it has become my favorite Hawaiian island!

am i missing out on this high school musical thing? i never considered seeing it...

watching idol now. i love 4th year. two hours of idol- is there very much more that is so pointless?

Pointless, yet funny: i own all of the DVDs for seasons 1-6 of scrubs; in the past 4 weeks i have watched all of them...again. Now granted, scrubs might be the most amazing show ever, but still, 120+ episodes is slight ridiculous :D :thumbup:

And i think the most recent debate i had with someone was which fast food burger was better, i said Carl's Jr (AKA Hardies for you midwestern folk...although not equal IMO)

i just wanted to say "i heart peds." :)

am i missing out on this high school musical thing? i never considered seeing it...

watching idol now. i love 4th year. two hours of idol- is there very much more that is so pointless?
Ah, you probably wouldn't have seen it unless you're a tween or have a youngish girl in the family. ;)

My daughter, a whooping 13 yrs of age, rolls her eyes at this movie. Thus, I haven't seen it.

Pointless, yet funny: i own all of the DVDs for seasons 1-6 of scrubs; in the past 4 weeks i have watched all of them...again. Now granted, scrubs might be the most amazing show ever, but still, 120+ episodes is slight ridiculous :D :thumbup:

And i think the most recent debate i had with someone was which fast food burger was better, i said Carl's Jr (AKA Hardies for you midwestern folk...although not equal IMO)

wow, we are just about the same person. Granted, I only watched seasons 3-6, but still...thats funny.

I never saw high school musical either...but it was definitely the pre-teen/teen movie to watch when it came out!

I just watched my Tivo'ed idol last night (went to the Obama rally here last night so I missed idol!) and am preparing to watch the girls tonight....that's right, I will have watched 4 hours of American Idol in one day. :oops:

4th year is, indeed, the BEST.

Vacation for us will be Budapest, Vienna and Prague in May, no kiddo in tow! I'll be thinking of you, TR, in Kauai. After my visit there in August, it has become my favorite Hawaiian island!

Ms. a, you will LOVE Prague. When we did our Europe trip in May/June 2004, it definitely rivaled Venice, Paris, and Rome for my fave European city. It just has a different feel to it than the others...and when we sat in a small basilica in Prague Castle to hear a small string ensemble's performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons...:love: Fantastic!

Ms. a, you will LOVE Prague. When we did our Europe trip in May/June 2004, it definitely rivaled Venice, Paris, and Rome for my fave European city. It just has a different feel to it than the others...and when we sat in a small basilica in Prague Castle to hear a small string ensemble's performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons...:love: Fantastic!

To each their own and I've never been to Budapest. But I liked Vienna more than Prague. Prague Castle was packed and chaotic. I did like the old Jewish Quarter in Prague (find out who the Golem of Prague was!).

Hi, my name is ST, and I'm deserting surgery for the land of pediatrics. Hold me back I can't wait.

You're not the first I've known to make that switch. I've never known anyone to go pedi to surgery, although I'm sure it's happened before. I've known several to go pedi to anesthesia. Most that I've known go from surg to pedi are interested in critical care (neo, picu or cards). Are you?

You're not the first I've known to make that switch. I've never known anyone to go pedi to surgery, although I'm sure it's happened before. I've known several to go pedi to anesthesia. Most that I've known go from surg to pedi are interested in critical care (neo, picu or cards). Are you?

The husband is thinking of doing anesthesia once he finishes peds this year. And yes, I do really enjoy critical care. But who knows where it's going to take me; I'm going to keep an open mind because if there's anything I've learned this year it's that plans can change!

Ah, you probably wouldn't have seen it unless you're a tween or have a youngish girl in the family. ;)

My daughter, a whooping 13 yrs of age, rolls her eyes at this movie. Thus, I haven't seen it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

i remember being 13.. it was longer than 13 years ago, but i remember. that's awesome, it's a great (though i'm sure frustrating) age!

this time last year i was struggling between surgery and peds, i definitely am happy with my decision, i gotta say.

oh, and i'm cheering for mr. dreads and the australian so far

To each their own and I've never been to Budapest. But I liked Vienna more than Prague. Prague Castle was packed and chaotic. I did like the old Jewish Quarter in Prague (find out who the Golem of Prague was!).

I should have qualified my statement with the fact that I've never been to Budapest or Vienna. BUT I still love Prague...I don't remember the castle being so busy when we were there.

Must add Vienna to my list of must-sees the next time we go to Europe!

Welcome!! :D:thumbup::D The 3rd year resident who's on my service right now is a former surgeon-turned-pediatrician-going-into-neonatology.

BTW, I just remembered that a pedi surgeon I know completed their pedi residency (and is boarded in pedi) before starting gen surg and then pedi surg. They are very proud of being a pedi surg who is also a pediatrician!

BTW, I just remembered that a pedi surgeon I know completed their pedi residency (and is boarded in pedi) before starting gen surg and then pedi surg. They are very proud of being a pedi surg who is also a pediatrician!

Oh holy cow that's a lot of training. :eek: But awesome that they're a pedi surgeon who can actually treat their patients!