Xavier of New Orleans information.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NuclearFission

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Stats on those accepted for coming 2006)
I just spoke with a friend that works in the admission's office.

He told me 1500 students applied.
165 got accepted.
Only 15 non-Xavier students got accepted.

Xavier accepts their students first, but they do not say it anywhere on their website. It's just a known fact if you live in louisiana.

Members don't see this ad.

That should be a crime, they just want u to give them $30K in tuition and buy your way in, and they know that their own students can't compete with people from other institutions.

tlnbtb said:
That should be a crime, they just want u to give them $30K in tuition and buy your way in, and they know that their own students can't compete with people from other institutions.

Yeah I feel you. My brother did not get accepted this coming year. He had a 3.5 gpa and a bachelors in science. He knew he wouldn't get in so he also applied to University of Monroe. They accepted him. He was the first one on Monroe's wait list and got in.

Well, Xavier is a historically black private univesity so they can basically do whatever they want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same stats as your brother and got rejected. I'll never apply to that school again and just hand them the $25.

tlnbtb said:
I had the same stats as your brother and got rejected. I'll never apply to that school again and just hand them the $25.

Yeah i hear a lot of bad things about that University. I have four friends currently at that university trying to become an Xavier student. They told me it's around 36 hours. But the thing is they got held back two semesters when they transfered so they were not able to get the required classes. Also when they were finally able to complete their requirements, the application deadline was over for the coming year. Meaning, it will take at least four semesters of school before you can apply as an Xavier student if you transfer.

The way i see it. If you are going to start college then Xavier is the place to go.

Now for some good news. One of my friends at LSU actually got in with a 3.6 gpa. She was probably choosen because she was taking 19 hours a semester.

I know lots of people here are viewing this but not replying. So...

Here's a link to Xavier's stats.

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/prepharmacy.nsf/$Content/ULM+Admission+Criteria?OpenDocument

I know I posted this before but just incase someone missed it, and just incase someone thinks im full of it, here's the link to Xavier's stats for 2005.

2005 Applicant Statistics:

* 1112 applications
* 667 applications from Louisiana
* 160 were accepted
* Cut-Off GPA was 2.5
* Average GPA was 3.10

NOW, to the untrained naked eye these stats might look promising because of the GPA range and Cutoff point, but question yourself this. Out of 1112 applicants, why is the GPA so low? Especially!!! when the PCAT is not required. Also, Xavier is right smack dab in the middle of a very large city, "New Orleans". There are at least three other major universities in the New Orleans area that I know off, not to mention community colleges. Too make things worse, there are only two Pharmacy schools in Louisiana. So why the low gpa range?

If you look at Monroe's Pharmacy stats, then that will give you a better idea of how hard it is to get into a pharmacy program inside of Louisiana. Monroe is a city literally in the middle of nowhere.

* 523 applications
* 273 applications from Louisiana
* 176 interviews were held (approximately 34% of applicants)
* 90 were accepted (approximately 51% of interviews)
* Cut-off GPA was 3.28
* Average GPA was 3.74

P.S. Sorry for all my grammatical errors.

Good info. Like I said, they just want you to pay them the tuition for an inferior education and then they'll will accept you. It's their school, so what can u do.

Here's a link to Xavier's stats.

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/prepharmacy.nsf/$Content/ULM+Admission+Criteria?OpenDocument

I know I posted this before but just incase someone missed it, and just incase someone thinks im full of it, here's the link to Xavier's stats for 2005.

* 1112 applications
* 667 applications from Louisiana
* 160 were accepted
* Cut-Off GPA was 2.5
* Average GPA was 3.10

NOW, to the untrained naked eye these stats might look promising because of the GPA range and Cutoff point, but question yourself this. Out of 1112 applicants, why is the GPA so low? Xavier is right smack dab in the middle of a very large city, "New Orleans". And there are at least three other major universities in the New Orleans area that I know off, not to mention community colleges. Also, there are only two Pharmacy schools in Louisiana. So why the low gpa range?

If you look at Monroe's Pharmacy stats, then that will give you a better idea of how hard it is to get into a pharmacy program inside of Louisiana. Monroe is a city in the middle of nowhere.

* 523 applications
* 273 applications from Louisiana
* 176 interviews were held (approximately 34% of applicants)
* 90 were accepted (approximately 51% of interviews)
* Cut-off GPA was 3.28
* Average GPA was 3.74

P.S. Sorry for all my grammatical errors.[/QUOTE]

NuclearFission said:
Yeah I feel you. My brother did not get accepted this coming year. He had a 3.5 gpa and a bachelors in science. He knew he wouldn't get in so he also applied to University of Monroe. They accepted him. He was the first one on Monroe's wait list and got in.

Well, Xavier is a historically black private univesity so they can basically do whatever they want.

It is the University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM). In the last three years they have lost (and replaced) about 75% of their basic science faculty. Not sure about clinical although there have been several who have moved on. But in the past their students would usually have somewhere around 90-100% pass rate on the NAPLEX

its ironic that i read this thread right now (how bad xavier is) coz i was just celebrating making my very first pharm school application- TO XAVIER. I am an out-of-state, and i dont have $25.

Queen222 said:
its ironic that i read this thread right now (how bad xavier is) coz i was just celebrating making my very first pharm school application- TO XAVIER. I am an out-of-state, and i dont have $25.

Go ahead and apply. Nothing's wrong with it. The odds are low but you might stand out and be one of the few that actually get in. Just make sure Xavier Pharmacy is not the only school you apply to.

As for the education of Xavier. I've heard that it is bad but i'm not sure if it's because they accept their students with low gpa or the education really is inferior. I'd have to go with the students with low gpa though. I personally only know of one case where an Xavier graduate was not able to pass the National license exam. I'm not sure what the exam is called. I just know he can't pass it at the current moment.

That is ashame. I think that there needs to be a first-class pharmacy school in New Orleans. There is a great need for it right now as well. Perhaps another school should open up (maybe affiliated with Tulane).

Furthermore, maybe there will be less out-of-state applications because of the negative publicity that New Orleans has received in the news, even post-Katrina.

You know, I actually get excited when someone finally replies to my topics. :D
These forums feel dead sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Queen222 said:

Wow, if you don't have $25 for the application how do you have money for you pharmacy education?

Gosh. I know a lot more people out there wanted to apply to Xavier. Why don't you guys post your opinions!

wow, i was planning on applying.... i guess i'll still try

babietuan323 said:
wow, i was planning on applying.... i guess i'll still try

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

I found out that someone I know from Xavier got in with a 3.1. It's unfair competition that's all it is. I think it is reverse discrimination because if another school were doing the same thing denying Xavier students, they'll be marching down the street protesting making a big scene. I think those who didn't get in and should have gotten in should all file a complaint to the dean of the school because I really think what they are doing is wrong.

tlnbtb said:
I found out that someone I know from Xavier got in with a 3.1. It's unfair competition that's all it is. I think it is reverse discrimination because if another school were doing the same thing denying Xavier students, they'll be marching down the street protesting making a big scene. I think those who didn't get in and should have gotten in should all file a complaint to the dean of the school because I really think what they are doing is wrong.

What Xavier is doing is not wrong, the program at Xavier is a 0-6 program which guarantees their students admission into the pharmacy program as long as they complete all of the prereq courses with a C or better. I also think that the students have to be pre-pharmacy majors during their first two years at Xavier.

NuclearFission said:
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking.
I am not a Xavier student, with GPA 3.4 , BA in chemistry, got no acceptance from this school.

What??? I got rejected twice with 3.55 and I have a degree. When I called again and again to their office asking how I can improve my application, they refused to answer me. Why? Because they can't tell you just come to our school and give us the money, get above average grades and you are in! I don't mind if the avg. gpa is like 3.6 or 3.7, but it was only 3.1 this year. So they are not taking some people they are right for the program because we did not fit their profile.

trice13 said:
What Xavier is doing is not wrong, the program at Xavier is a 0-6 program which guarantees their students admission into the pharmacy program as long as they complete all of the prereq courses with a C or better. I also think that the students have to be pre-pharmacy majors during their first two years at Xavier.

What i find wrong is that Xavier does not inform their applicants. Everyone is applying with a false hope of getting in. I don't mind Xavier accepting their students first, i just believe it's wrong not to inform applicants.

Also, tlnbtb, your stats are very good. If you really want to become a pharmacist then you'll have a MUCH better chance at any public school. A 3.5gpa with a bachelors is also good for Dental or Medical school. You worked your butt off for that GPA, might as well do something higher then just a pharmacist?

Xavier is private, they can do what they want as long as they don't discriminate based on sex, religion, and race. They can fill up their class with xavier students first and then take in outsiders.

I didn't say it was right. Unless you take the best of the best, how can anyone consider you the best. Otherwise you remain...well, not the best.

As far as starting another Pharm school in Louisiana...they can't afford it! LA has too many colleges per capita of college student than most states. The state could not afford to fund another pharm school. And although Tulane is actually a private school, many LA legislators graduated from Tulane Law. I think they are the second highest state funded school in LA behind LSU....that is astounding considering they are private!

I was so happy the day my moving truck headed east crossing the Mississippi river!

pharmacology said:
Xavier is private, they can do what they want as long as they don't discriminate based on sex, religion, and race. They can fill up their class with xavier students first and then take in outsiders.

I didn't say it was right. Unless you take the best of the best, how can anyone consider you the best. Otherwise you remain...well, not the best.

As far as starting another Pharm school in Louisiana...they can't afford it! LA has too many colleges per capita of college student than most states. The state could not afford to fund another pharm school. And although Tulane is actually a private school, many LA legislators graduated from Tulane Law. I think they are the second highest state funded school in LA behind LSU....that is astounding considering they are private!

I was so happy the day my moving truck headed east crossing the Mississippi river!

Interesting, Tulane grads become LA law makers and fund Tulane. Money should really go towards schools that really need it. Not Tulane. In a way it's like saying, the rich just gets richer and the poor just get even more poor.

NuclearFission said:
Interesting, Tulane grads become LA law makers and fund Tulane. Money should really go towards schools that really need it. Not Tulane. In a way it's like saying, the rich just gets richer and the poor just get even more poor.

HA... you don't even want to get started on the education system here, its pretty pathetic overall, well except Tulane of course. I'm stationed in New Orleans right now but I plan on applying to UF. I half way considered Xavier (well maybe a little less than half) only because I really wouldn't mind staying in the area, but I'm completely sure now that I'm not going to waste my time.

Another question related to all of this. I'm continuing my pre-req's at the community college here and so far I've taken Physics I and Chem II and got an A in both without hardly trying. Now I've always done fairly decent in school but have never been that "hot shot student" that does outstanding on everything. Basically I can tell that I'm not exactly getting the best education.

Now the good thing is that I can I pull off a pretty good GPA for application purposes. But I know I'll have to put in some extra studying to be well equipped for the PCAT and pharmacy school itself.

My question is will colleges look at the quality of this school and hold that against me in any way, possibly making them disregard the GPA a little?

I almost applied to Xavier but being in NO was a big turnoff. I wanted to apply to Monroe because I was born in Ruston and most of my family is there... but the freaking application was ludicrous. After spending two weeks of soul searching for my PCAT personal statement, there was no way I was going to write all of those essays too. :oops:

SquidAT2 said:
HA... you don't even want to get started on the education system here, its pretty pathetic overall, well except Tulane of course. I'm stationed in New Orleans right now but I plan on applying to UF. I half way considered Xavier (well maybe a little less than half) only because I really wouldn't mind staying in the area, but I'm completely sure now that I'm not going to waste my time.

Another question related to all of this. I'm continuing my pre-req's at the community college here and so far I've taken Physics I and Chem II and got an A in both without hardly trying. Now I've always done fairly decent in school but have never been that "hot shot student" that does outstanding on everything. Basically I can tell that I'm not exactly getting the best education.

Now the good thing is that I can I pull off a pretty good GPA for application purposes. But I know I'll have to put in some extra studying to be well equipped for the PCAT and pharmacy school itself.

My question is will colleges look at the quality of this school and hold that against me in any way, possibly making them disregard the GPA a little?

I'm pretty sure on this but i'm still guessing.
Taking your pre-req's is fine at a community college. Nothing wrong with it at all. But if it comes down to an applicant with similar standing as you, they will take a four year school over a community college.

Final Confirmation

Just l got word that there is a list posted up at Xavier, on campus only, of all students that got accepted into the pharmacy program. The list is not avaliable online. The list names all the students and what school they came from. According to my friends who transfered there, around 15 non-xavier students were accepted for this coming year.

If you're still skeptical of me, you're welcome to go on Xavier's campus and check it out yourself.

Actually, next time i'm in new orleans, i'll take a picture of the list myself. :D

(All information applies to TRANSFER students, not freshman.)

Hey guys. I haven't gotten a chance to visit New Orleans just yet but I thought i'd mention something since nobody really likes to post.

Some of you here probably got the "BRIGHT" idea that you can attend to Xavier for 2 or 3 semesters and become an Xavier student and then zip on into their pharmacy program.

As I mentioned earlier, Xavier requires a certain number of hours in order for you to become an Xavier student. After reaching that number of hours, it will become too late for you to apply for the year coming. Therefore, it can take you up to 4 whole semesters or more until you can apply.

So what's the new information that I have to let you guys in on? Well, if you become an Xavier student and do not get in on your first try then you are required to earn a bachelors before you can apply again.

So who here thinks im full of it?
Common........POST.

NuclearFission said:

165 got accepted.

Xavier accepts their students first, but they do not say it anywhere on their website. It's just a known fact if you live in louisiana.

great, i just added this school to my "don't apply here" list. :oops:

So what's the new information that I have to let you guys in on? Well, if you become an Xavier student and do not get in on your first try then you are required to earn a bachelors before you can apply again.

So who here thinks im full of it?
Common........POST.

dang, thats harsh. is this coming from a good reliable source?

dang, thats harsh. is this coming from a good reliable source?

It's coming from my friends who did not get in after transfering from a Community College. From what they tell me there is a special Bulletin Board where all this information is posted up every year. At this very moment there is a list of people who made it into the pharmacy program on that board.

(Stats on those accepted for coming 2006)

165 got accepted.

Their students have a deadline which is earlier than everyone else's. Isn't that obvious enough??? They can start the selection process by going through their own applicants first.

Final Confirmation

Just l got word that there is a list posted up at Xavier, on campus only, of all students that got accepted into the pharmacy program. The list is not avaliable online. The list names all the students and what school they came from. According to my friends who transfered there, around 15 non-xavier students were accepted for this coming year.

If you're still skeptical of me, you're welcome to go on Xavier's campus and check it out yourself.

Actually, next time i'm in new orleans, i'll take a picture of the list myself. :D
I got in as a transfer student (LSU). I was waitlisted until September 1st. My bachelors is in German, so that probably made me stand out. I also did an internship in Germany at a nursing home. When I got back, I started working at a retail pharmacy. I have also worked at a Catholic hospital.
My advice, make your application sparkle!

everything in this thread makes sense now. I called couple times to request information about the school and status of my application. I was never helpful. I do have a feeling that the lady doesn't wanna talk and she can do whatever she wants.

rule numero uno never apply to xavier for pharmacy school, unless you want to waste you time and money...F.Y.I. current xavier students are automatically accepted for just taking the pre-reqs and doing ok in them and they don't have to take the PCAT:D ...so if you don't go there don't bother applying

rule numero uno never apply to xavier for pharmacy school, unless you want to waste you time and money...F.Y.I. current xavier students are automatically accepted for just taking the pre-reqs and doing ok in them and they don't have to take the PCAT:D ...so if you don't go there don't bother applying
It just seems like everyone is bitter. There are ways to get into Xavier without being a student from Xavier. People just have to understand what they look for in transfer students. These are my guesses:
1. They group everyone into the following groups, asian/native american/indian, white/arabic, african/african-american, and hispanic.
2. You either need a 3.9+/- GPA or a bachelors with 3.4+/-GPA.
3. Females have the edge or males (I'm not sure of the reasoning, but 75% of my class is female).
4. Recommendation letters need to be from both science/math teachers and pharmacists. Someone from LSU sent 4 letters of recommendation instead of 3 and got in.
5. The only out-of-state students I have come in contact with are African-American.
6. There are many Vietnamese students, perhaps because they're catholic.
If you have other questions, you can send me a private message.

I got accepted to Xavier...and I am from Houston, Texas

I am also a Vietnamese-American

I dont have a 4.0 GPA and my academic record is not perfect...

So i dont really agree with those of you who think Xavier are just profiling students...It is about the individual and what they bring to the table...just my opinion...