X Branch & My Family = Best Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stdmufin27

It's H-O-T in Sin City
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm struggling with the idea of going for the military scholarship. The problem I have is which one is the best? So, could some of you smart friends of mine give me your .02 cents in regards to these topics.
1) Most time with the fam
2) Best working environment
3) Money/Benefits

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I'm struggling with the idea of going for the military scholarship. The problem I have is which one is the best? So, could some of you smart friends of mine give me your .02 cents in regards to these topics.
3) Money/Benefits

1. Definitely not the Army from what I've read and heard. Probably a toss up between the Navy and the Air Force. Navy can offer that, but it would totally depend on where you are stationed. If you're with the Marines, deployed, or on a ship, well, that makes things difficult.
2. I think it's unpredictable as your supervisors, colleagues turnover often. A good environment can turn into a bad one in a hurry with a quick change in your chain of command sometimes.
3. Should be exactly the same across the branches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Military and family is tough, the military will always come first and if your family isn't willing to make that commitment then forget about it. You have to have your family's support to make it through the tough times.

Air Force

Which is full, I just found out that I'm the 13th alternate on the waitlist for the AF scholarship. I'm pretty much guaranteed a 3 year AF if I want, but there's still a chance I slip in with either added scholarships or drop-outs who were matrixed in. I'm looking into the Navy more heavily now.

If you primary concern is family, you may want to look into the NHSC scholarship, rather than military.

Having said that, the USAF has the best rotation schedules for tours.

PS.
I am prior service USAF. Didn't get the USAF HPSP and I have received the NAVY scholarship instead.

3) Money/Benefits

Both the Army and the Air Force have bases in BFE, Minot North Dakota/ Omaha Nebraska/ Columbus Georgia/ El Paso Texas/ etc. At least in the Navy you know you will be on the coast somewhere. :D

I'm from BFE so that doesn't bother me too much... ha ha

from a soldier's mouth- the Air Force takes care of its own

3) Money/Benefits

Private practice??? :cool:

3) Money/Benefits

This is an old thread, but here's an Army perspective...

Time with the fam and Money/Benefits > All branches are basically the same, the money part is exactly the same, the time with the family part is the same in that we all get the same holidays and training days are based on local leadership (know plenty of people in all branches with tons of training holidays and many with very few). Yes, there is the lengthier deployment possibility in the Army (6-9 months), but that is something that is no longer a guarantee or very frequent at all (maybe once, just maybe more than that - depending on whether you volunteer or not).

Locations- No matter what anyone says, don't you worry, there are crappy locations on every single branch :) The Army does a good of number of them, but there area also amazing locations in the Army (Hawaii/Pacific Northwest/ Germany/ DC/etc..)

Best working environment - I think this is going to depend on your working attitude primarily (are you going to let someone's crappy attitude ruin your day?), the quality of people varies widely and, no matter what branch, they will always be unmotivated/lazy and excellent/high speed employees in almost every location.

This is an old thread, but here's an Army perspective...

Time with the fam and Money/Benefits > All branches are basically the same, the money part is exactly the same, the time with the family part is the same in that we all get the same holidays and training days are based on local leadership (know plenty of people in all branches with tons of training holidays and many with very few). Yes, there is the lengthier deployment possibility in the Army (6-9 months), but that is something that is no longer a guarantee or very frequent at all (maybe once, just maybe more than that - depending on whether you volunteer or not).

I disagree with this statement. If/when we return to a full peacetime setting, deployments for the Army and Air Force will go down quite a bit (as they have already). The Navy and Marine Corps always go on sea deployments, regardless of whether it is peacetime or wartime, so you need to be aware that no matter what the world situation is, you still may go to sea for 5-11 months at a time.

Reactions: 1 user