Family with HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedenali06

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As “easy” as being in the military. Pregnant people don’t deploy but people with kids sure can

I would say more than half of the dentists I know in the Army have kids. One of them just got slated to do a 2-year brigade slot, and will definitely deploy. The chance of getting injured during a deployment is low, and you likely won't be doing much on deployment based on presentations I've seen from brigade dentists, but you will definitely be away from your family for 5-9 months at a time.

That being said, there are many more people that don't deploy, and may never deploy (currently). The reverse-PROFIS system that's starting up seems like (?) it will make it much more likely that we all deploy. Not an issue since we did sign up for the Army, just know that you'll be away from your family for a bit if that happens.

It's not easy with a family, but many people do it. Your husband may have a hard time getting a job with moving around, and it would likely be better when your kids are young to move rather than when they're getting older and need more stable friendships outside of the family.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I'm considering the HPSP for dental school. Out of curiosity, is anybody else on this with a family? I'm a female and wondering exactly how easy it would be to start a family during payback.
This response is if you are already married. Finding a spouse can be a whole different animal.
_________
It’s easy. Once you are pregnant you will be removed from any operational platform and then remain non-operational for a year after childbirth. Repeat... If both you and your husband work you will need some help taking care of the child obviously whether it’s day care or a nanny. But if the kid gets sick and needs to be taken home from day care or to the doctor you can just leave work to do it. Basically with no penalty. It’s actually pretty ridiculous.

It’s also really causing a strain on operational platforms in the Navy. The past decade has seen such a push to increase male/ female ratio in the Navy. Biology is biology. Women have children. So a lot of women are not able to fill some of the most important billets.

If you glance around at the billets and see who is where, most males are having to fill ships/ operational platforms and females are on shore duty. I don’t know how this compares to Army or Air Force though since their billets may not be as remote.

Also something to think about, starting a family doesn’t come easily to everyone. So if you get into the service and want to start trying to have kids, but it doesn’t happen as quickly as you want, you could suddenly be bouncing around everywhere creating even more of a problem.