Wwami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Octagony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aside from appropriate WWAMI schools, with a 3.89/28, you might consider researching the following schools which are in your stats range and also have a decent OOS acceptance rate:

UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, UNevada (from region and [W]WAMI), NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS,
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonwealth MC in Pa

What state are you a resident of?

My stats are from Fall 2007, so they may be a bit outdated, but I'm sure they still apply.

University of Washington
Avg. GPA: 3.72
Avg. sGPA: 3.66
Avg. MCAT: 10.3 (verbal), 10.3 (physical), 10.9 (biological), Q (writing)
Acceptance Rate: 5.2%

Also, UW requires a minimum of 40 hours of physician shadowing.
Preference is given to WWAMI residents.

It seems that you measure up nicely, aside from your verbal score. I would suggest shadowing a little bit more in order to make yourself more competitive. Your low verbal score may be explained away by the fact that you're ESL.

Members don't see this ad :)
In 2009, 80 residents of Alaska applied and 34 matriculated at AMCAS schools.

Matriculant data was as follows:

MCAT 31.6 +/- 3.2
cGPA 3.63 +/- .29
sGPA 3.57 +/- .35

With your strong cGPA and BCPM GPA to compensate for the lower MCAT score, you are not in bad shape stats-wise. I agree that a higher VS would help you.

When you have mediocre stats, it is often the ECs that determine whether you get accepted. You have the bare minimum of shadowing. Your clinical experience is far weaker than the average applicant if you only have 42 hours on your application (about 150 seems typical). You do have teaching, leadership, and nonmedical community service which is great. A semester of research is below average.

You are right that applying now would put you at a disadvantage due to the lateness of the cycle. I recommend that you wait until June 2011, when you could easily have another 160 hours of clinical experience to list, you could add another 20-40 hours of shadowing, you'd have two more semesters of research, and more longevity with the Red Cross and tutoring. Even if you feel you could not raise your MCAT score with a retake, you'd be in a much stronger position due to the beefed up ECs.