School list advice for WWAMI student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDAstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some input on my school list. Idaho resident, graduated from a small liberal arts institution May 2011. Hoping for some love from Utah, Nevada, and Washington, but not expecting much from other state schools as an OOSer.

B.S. in Molecular/Cellular Bio
3.6 GPA, 3.7 BCPM, 31R (11PS, 10BS, 10VR)
(Strong upward GPA trend, finished with a 4.0 last three semesters, when taking mainly upper-level Bio & Chem courses)

EC's
Clinical: 1500+ hrs as ED Intern, 170 hrs primary care clinic volunteer, 120 hrs physician scribe, medical service trip to Central America, 260 hrs shadowing (focused in primary care)

Volunteering: 1.5 yrs club soccer coach, 70 hrs free tutoring for primary/high school kids, 100+ hrs high school basketball coach, various projects through biology honors society

Research: 1 semester organic chem (basic synthesis), 1 yr clinical researcher (preventing hospital-acquired infection, pub pending)

Leadership: 1 yr biological honors society exec board, 100+ hrs mentoring overweight/obese high schoolers through hospital-sponsored program

Employment: 6 yrs youth soccer camp coach, 2 yrs prep cook, 1 yr biology teaching assistant, 1 yr high school assistant soccer coach

Other: varsity soccer player (individual/team awards), contributing author to undergrad science magazine, Eagle Scout, brew beer seasonally

Here's my current list:

(Competitive as an ID resident)
Washington
Utah
Nevada

(Competitive-ish)
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush
Temple
Tulane
Georgetown
George Washington

(OOS)
Kansas
Minnesota
Wisconsin
UTMB (Applying due to strong family ties)
Texas Tech (Applying due to strong family ties)

(Reach)
Mayo
OHSU
Wake Forrest

I'm hoping to get:
1) General input about my application.
2) Suggestions for other OOS friendly schools where I would be a competitive-ish applicant.
3) Suggestions for a book aimed at amateur/intermediate home brewers looking to expand their skill set.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would also welcome any suggestions for improvements that could be made during the application year, in case I end up needing to reapply.

I'm thinking of applying to UW as well with pretty similar stats. From everything I've read about Washington, a desire to practice in rural areas as a primary care doc seems to be pretty important, so maybe mentioning such a desire in the 2ndary would be a good idea (only if you feel that way of course!). Hopefully we meet up along the interview trail this year, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kansas and Texas Tech aren't worth applying to as OOS. UTMB is slightly better but still doesn't rise to the level of OOS-friendly.

Other schools you might look into: Loyola, Penn State, Wayne State, Jefferson, Drexel, Albany, NYMC, Toledo, Arizona (becoming much more OOS-friendly), Louisville.

You seem to have your bases covered EC-wise. Now it will mainly be about writing good essays and interviewing well.

Kansas and Texas Tech aren't worth applying to as OOS. UTMB is slightly better but still doesn't rise to the level of OOS-friendly.

Other schools you might look into: Loyola, Penn State, Wayne State, Jefferson, Drexel, Albany, NYMC, Toledo, Arizona (becoming much more OOS-friendly), Louisville.

You seem to have your bases covered EC-wise. Now it will mainly be about writing good essays and interviewing well.

Thanks for the advice!
I'll remove Kansas from the list; after looking back on the MSAR I realized I must have misread their OOS/IS ratio and % of accepted OOS applicants.
I hadn't even considered Penn State, assuming the GPA/MCAT range was much too high. I was super surprised to see that my scores fall only a fair bit below (GPA) and right on (MCAT) the medians for accepted applicants. I'll check it out a bit further, along with your other suggestions. Much appreciated!

I had better stats and a WWAMI student and was ignored by GW, Georgetown and Creighton. Then again, you never know, I got an interview at Mayo. (And got into UW, CU, OHSU, Arizona - both campuses - be sure to apply to Phoenix.)
I think it's a good list. Focus on your own interests. The UW people really look for authenticity. Do something that interests you and is related to your current experiences and future goals, don't do something just to check a box. It looks like you have a solid application and reasonable goals. Good luck.