WVSOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTLizzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone ready? Just a few more weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

wow... you must be lonely... come over to my thread... you'll be treated right ;)

hehe :)

Recieved my additional homework packet in the mail the other day, trying to keep S-5 relaxed :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see the thread moved from the pre-osteo forum. I don't have much to add other than to say that if you're a fan of coffee - and cappuccino in particular - then Lewisburg isn't a bad place to be. I spotted at least 4 espresso machines during my last trip (and not a starbucks in sight!). I had a great cup at a place called Mattie's - and they had a lot of cool study couches as well.

Dan

have you guys gotten your physicals yet? I'm just wondering if everyone else got chest x-rays. other than that....i'm pretty psyched for the move to WV and meeting everyone in person! :p

Additional homework packet??? What the hell???

-Bill Brasky
"Third Friend of Brasky: Did I ever tell about the time Brasky was in a production of "The King & I"?

Second Friend of Brasky: [ interrupting ] Every morning I crap the bed!

[ silence ]

Third Friend of Brasky: Anyway.. on opening night, Brasky chloroformed the entire cast.. and slowly eats them in front of the audience for two hours! The production got pretty good reviews..

happyprairiedog said:
I had a great cup at a place called Mattie's - and they had a lot of cool study couches as well.

I didn't try the coffee houses while I was there, but I am concerned about this. All of the nice little places in town close relatively early. There's no Dunkin Donuts!

According to www.dunkindonuts.com, the closest DD's is in Charleston...3 hours away. The closest Starbucks is in Blacksburg, VA. That's only an hour away, but then you're crossing state lines for an espresso and that might be considered bootlegging.

Where do we get coffee at 2am?!

Bill_Brasky said:
Additional homework packet??? What the hell???

Oh you'll enjoy it. A crossword puzzle on O-chem, some biochem stuff to read and a boatload (well, maybe a dingy) of anatomy to read.

And don't forget the med terms test to study for!

So much for catching up on my fun reading this summer!

EMTLizzy said:
Where do we get coffee at 2am?!

I don't know if you could call it coffee...but there's always GoMart's pots of hot black caffeine. And I'm pretty sure they sell donuts as well.....

Really, though...not having a starbucks is not a bad thing...especially when you try the cappuccinos at Mattie's.

Dan

IMO, Mattie's is fairly pretentious- this will become more obvious. Coffee at 2am comes from the Go Mart. The nearest Starbucks is actually at the Greenbrier, but you need an appointment for this ;). MedTerm is not a problem for anyone (likely one of the few, if not the only 100% you will earn)- exams are almost identical to those of past years, so spend the time studying anatomy instead (12.75 credit hours vs. .25 -common sense). One other suggestion- learn the biochem pathways thoroughly.

Pete

dowiattp said:
IMO, Mattie's is fairly pretentious- this will become more obvious.

Ya know, I was surprised with some of the stores in town. I guess I was expecting the shops to all be small-town oriented (small grocery, bakery, etc). But instead I found a lot of really expensive antique stores, art galleries, and clothing stores.

In a way, it made me feel better because that is exactly what I have here at home.

When is everyone going to be moving in for school? I was thinking we can arrange a pre-orientation gathering. I'm going to be there during the first week of August.

Will most of you be in by Thursday or Friday of that week before orientation starts on Monday?

EMTLizzy said:
When is everyone going to be moving in for school? I was thinking we can arrange a pre-orientation gathering. I'm going to be there during the first week of August.

Will most of you be in by Thursday or Friday of that week before orientation starts on Monday?

I will be moving in on Aug 1! So I will be around, and it would be great to get together with some people before orientation starts...Let me know!
Janice

Members don't see this ad :)
JRiCe09 said:
I will be moving in on Aug 1! So I will be around, and it would be great to get together with some people before orientation starts...Let me know!
Janice

Okay, I'll post something closer to August about setting something up. Maybe meeting at a restaurant in town for dinner and drinks.

EMTLizzy said:
Okay, I'll post something closer to August about setting something up. Maybe meeting at a restaurant in town for dinner and drinks.

I have a far move so I'm getting there a bit earlier: July 27. EMTLizzy, dinner/drinks sounds fun!! See you guys there!!

I'll be there on August 1 or 2! I am excited. I can't wait to meet everyone. Dinner/drinks sounds good to me. Anyone know how far the ski slopes are from campus? I know there won't be much time but hopefully I can make a trip up there at Christmas break.

WVSOM Class of 2009

Is this homework packet thing for SBL?
All I've gotten is some book on how to be a good PBLer and the med term stuff.

I am planning in arriving about the first of August. I'm looking forward to the drive.

Megalofyia said:
Is this homework packet thing for SBL?
All I've gotten is some book on how to be a good PBLer and the med term stuff.

I am planning in arriving about the first of August. I'm looking forward to the drive.

Probably. It has a big thing about anatomy, which I believe PBL does 2nd semester. Am I right?

you can hold off on the fun and smell for a few more months. :laugh:

How's the osteology studying coming? Is this something we should commit to memory, or just "know".

Anyone in need of anything? Looking for furniture, small appliances, extra teddy bear, etc? Maybe some of us have extra stuff or know where to find things there.

I need a washer and dryer, if this question was for everyone.

-Josh

Bill_Brasky said:
I need a washer and dryer, if this question was for everyone.

Try the classified sections of the local papers. go to www.mountainmessenger.com. That's one of the local papers and they have an online classified section. I saw some washers and dryers listed there.

Otherwise, try Lowes, on a sale they may have a good deal on a new set.

Hey! Is everyone getting ready!??! I am....slowly, but surely! I was wondering if anyone was going to do Relay for Life? I am for sure! I do it in my community every year, and if anyone has questions as to what it is, just let me know! Hopefully some more of you will do it too! See everyone really soon!
Janice

Anyone buy scrubs for gross anatomy?

I think they sell them in the bookstore, but I thought I might find a better deal elsewhere.

Any ideas? I'm looking for really soft hospital-style ones. The kind at the uniform shops are more like nursing scrubs and are a rougher material.

Hey everyone!

Can't wait to meet everyone! I will be up there at the end of July/beginning of August. Lunch/dinner sounds good; it will be nice to put a face with each of these replies!

Just came back from visiting some family and got the "PACKET."

Must study now... :) I AM SO EXCITED! lol :D

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say that I talked to my roomie tonight-who is a 2nd year-and she said that they will be sending us another packet around the 15th. But this one is geared more toward orientation and info from the students about the area and different things like that. Just thought people may be interested to know something! Other than that, I am just enjoying the summer that is winding down quickly!!! Honestly can't wait to meet everyone!!! bYe~
*JaNiCe*

Janice, what recommendations does your roommate have regarding what books to buy as an OMS-1? or have they made a list???

MountaineerDoc said:
Janice, what recommendations does your roommate have regarding what books to buy as an OMS-1? or have they made a list???

She hasn't really said specifically, but it may be included in the packet we will be getting. I know she told me biochem is a must buy because of all of the pathways and everything. Other than that she hasn't really said. Probably A&P...but I'm sure they will let us know. Talk to you later!
Janice

I was just looking at my wardrobe....

What do we know about the "dress code"? I know it isn't as strict as some other places. I have tons of jeans and planned to just wear that (and a shirt too, smarta$$). Maybe get a new pair of sneakers.

Anyone going shopping for new "school clothes"? How about a bookbag? Ah, I remember the days of getting a new bookbag and lunchbox every year. It was so exciting!

I don't think there's any type of dress code. Which is a good thing

I got an orientation packet today which had the entire Smart Start schedule as well as some other information. There was a bit of info in there that was interesting. As we all knew - we are required to have health insurance - which I thought meant we had to have it before we started. Turns out - we don't have to have it until September 30th...so this gives those of us who haven't picked up insurance yet a few more months.

Since I mentioned coffee before - I have to relay some news I learned during my last trip to Lewisburg a week or so ago. The coffee place I talked about - Mattie's - is up for sale :( . Hopefully someone doesn't buy it and turn it into another antique shop....

Dan

happyprairiedog said:
There was a bit of info in there that was interesting. As we all knew - we are required to have health insurance - which I thought meant we had to have it before we started. Turns out - we don't have to have it until September 30th...so this gives those of us who haven't picked up insurance yet a few more months.

I went with the SOMA insurance. I already sent in my forms and payment. They got back to me right away with confirmation. Very simple.

HeLLo! There hasn't been any postings for a while, and I like to read them when I'm bored, so I decided to post one! I don't really have much to say, other then and I'm getting excited/nervous/everything! I'm trying to enjoy the last few weeks I have of summer and freedom! See everyone sOoN!
Janice

Did anyone get their cable and cable internet hooked up? What were the prices from Charter Cable? They're very secretive about it on their web site.

Does anyone know where I can get the dates for stuff like Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, summer etc?
Thanks

EMTLizzy said:
Did anyone get their cable and cable internet hooked up? What were the prices from Charter Cable? They're very secretive about it on their web site.

I recently called to get prices and here is what I got. $16/month for basic cable and $48.50/month for basic expanded which includes CNN, ESPN, etc. There are two levels of internet options - a lower speed for $29.99/month and a higher speed for $39.99/month. Now looking at their site, it seems like you have to buy a cable modem. They might rent them, but their site doesn't say that.

On to another matter - what cell companies work in Lewisburg? I know that Cellular One and US Cellular provide service...but I've also heard that people use Cingular and Verizon. I think I would like to use Cingular if I could - anyone have any luck with Cingular while in town? Any other cell phone stories?

Dan

happyprairiedog said:
There are two levels of internet options - a lower speed for $29.99/month and a higher speed for $39.99/month. Now looking at their site, it seems like you have to buy a cable modem. They might rent them, but their site doesn't say that. Dan
$5/month to rent, $40 to buy... also if you agree to an automatic debit, you will save on the installation fee.

Is Charter Cable the only cable/internet company that works in Lewisburg? Does Road Runner work there?

Also Verizon or Cingular? Any preferences?

Thanks for all the replies btw. I am currently packing my room up to move in a couple of weeks... nervous excitement is sinking in! Anyone else feeling it too? The drive from TX to WV is going to be a loooong one, but I've always liked road trips. I am very upset though bc our Thanksgiving holiday is so short... I won't have enough time (that & $$$) to go back to TX. No biggie... It will only make Xmas nicer! I wonder if there will be snow by December in Lewisburg? It's been awhile shice I've made a snowman. :)

CanuckDiana said:
I wonder if there will be snow by December in Lewisburg? It's been awhile shice I've made a snowman. :)

Oh, I think we can arrange for some snow for you sometime before you graduate.

I'm kinda bummed about Thanksgiving also. I won't be able to make it back to Jersey, but at least my fiance will come down.

Right now I'm packing up my office. Last day of work for 4 years! I worked all through college and grad school, so it's going to feel funny not having a job at all now. I love the people I work with, so it's sad to be leaving and taking all my pictures off my walls, and packing up eveything I had on my desk. :(

But that means I have two weeks off now before I leave.

CanuckDiana said:
I am very upset though bc our Thanksgiving holiday is so short...
How do you know the dates already and what are the dates?

My whole family has decided that the drive to West Virginia from Texas is gonna be fun so they want to caravan there. Good times I'm sure...

Megalofyia said:
How do you know the dates already and what are the dates?

My whole family has decided that the drive to West Virginia from Texas is gonna be fun so they want to caravan there. Good times I'm sure...

Someone posted our first semester schedule I believe.

We don't have wednesday off, which eliminates the usual travel day.

EMTLizzy said:

The schools website has been updated!!! They have the schedule for next year up.

Schedule Link

Keep your cellphones, most services work fine in Lewisburg. I have Verizon, and it uses the same signal as US Cellular (local) so it's all the same.

No roadrunner, but charter is equivalent. Look online/watch tv for offers. Actually when you call to set it up, just say 'i saw some deal where you get free internet for a while' etc. Just BS a little and you'll get whatever promotion they offer. They don't reall advertise them so you have to 'ask'. Same goes for pricine.

pete

EMTLizzy said:

Hey~
According to the school's academic calendar, Thanksgiving break is Nov 23-27...the 23 is Wed, so I'm thinking we do have Wed off. Which is great! Just wanted to let you know!
Janice

JRiCe09 said:
Hey~
According to the school's academic calendar, Thanksgiving break is Nov 23-27...the 23 is Wed, so I'm thinking we do have Wed off. Which is great! Just wanted to let you know!
Janice

Yay! I'll probably still stay down at school just to avoid a holiday with my future in-laws. :laugh:

If I remember right I'm pretty sure we have Wed. off. If you're smart you'll make sure you don't have a test that Mon/Tues (probably will, and it will probably be OPP, they're too kind). If no test, book a trip asap and enjoy some time on the beach.

Pete

at the beach? won't it be cool/cold by that time of the year? :confused:
still a mini break won't be so bad :cool:

Thanks for the link!

Maybe he was meaning the beach like in Florida ;)

CanuckDiana said:
at the beach? won't it be cool/cold by that time of the year? :confused:
still a mini break won't be so bad :cool:

Ah, I live at the beach so it's not so exciting for me.

A two year mini break from my future in-laws sounds wonderful. LOL

I got my latest info packet in the mail.

Anyone know what the abbreviations mean on the Smart Start schedule?

EMTLizzy said:
Anyone know what the abbreviations mean on the Smart Start schedule?
Bldg and room location...

It's getting closer!

Two weeks until I move. Wow, it's coming fast. Anyone getting sad? I'm excited to be starting school, but sad to be leaving my home. :(

And what were they thinking giving us reading to do before school when Harry Potter came out this weekend? Osteology is just going to have to wait.