WVSOM 2010 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Richie Truxillo said:
You realize you have officially earned yourself cool points now don'tcha? :laugh:

Let us know when ya come in town and we'll give ya a warm WVSOM reception. (if we aren't hunched over a pile of board review books that is hehe)

Hey Richie! I'm in town now. :p Getting up early tomorrow and looking at apartments all day. yay. Yeah, that's sarcasm. I get NO cell phone reception here (I guess I will have to switch companies when I move up here), but check your PM box for ways to reach me.

Members don't see this ad.

Duchess said:
Hey Richie! I'm in town now. :p Getting up early tomorrow and looking at apartments all day. yay. Yeah, that's sarcasm. I get NO cell phone reception here (I guess I will have to switch companies when I move up here), but check your PM box for ways to reach me.
Verizon works here...i dont like us cellular.. but thats only cause US us cellular isnt an option back home for me and Verizon is... .
Have fun with apt searching...

jgl1980 said:
WVSOM Class of 2010!

RD330
jgl1980

RD330
jgl1980
catsandcradles

Now wouldn't it be funny if we used our SDN names in school

You could call me "cats". Or better yet, "biblecat" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Megalofyia said:
Verizon works here...i dont like us cellular.. but thats only cause US us cellular isnt an option back home for me and Verizon is... .
Have fun with apt searching...

What about Cingular?

drjds said:
What about Cingular?

I do know that verizon says they dont work here.. but if you call and ask they'll tell you that there is service here.

I haven't heard of anyone with cingular service here but it's possible that there is service here.

Megalofyia said:
I do know that verizon says they dont work here.. but if you call and ask they'll tell you that there is service here.

I haven't heard of anyone with cingular service here but it's possible that there is service here.

I have verizon and i think my phone did work when i was there for the interview.

Does anyone have the updated list of available apartments near WVSOM? I would appreciate all the help i can get. Thank you.

Any of you current students know when the white coat ceremony is scheduled. My parents are trying to schedule a cruise date in September, and they want to make sure they are there for the white coat ceremony.

JohnUC33 said:
Any of you current students know when the white coat ceremony is scheduled. My parents are trying to schedule a cruise date in September, and they want to make sure they are there for the white coat ceremony.

Hey, Congratulations. Can't wait to see all the new students. But don't expect me to remember all your names... :)

Commencement will be observed on May 27, 2006, while the Convocation/White Coat Ceremony takes place on September 9, 2006.
The State Fair Event Center will be the future site of these two important West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine events for years to come.

For events in the near future, check out:
http://www.wvsom.edu/StudentAffairs/StudentEvents.cfm

Peace,
Vicky

veryvickyish said:
Hey, Congratulations. Can't wait to see all the new students. But don't expect me to remember all your names... :)

Commencement will be observed on May 27, 2006, while the Convocation/White Coat Ceremony takes place on September 9, 2006.
The State Fair Event Center will be the future site of these two important West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine events for years to come.

For events in the near future, check out:
http://www.wvsom.edu/StudentAffairs/StudentEvents.cfm

Peace,
Vicky
When do first year students get their white coats? Vicky, do you know what WVSOM is doing as far as rotation in preparation for the increase in students? Are they starting to allow 3rd students doing rotations outside of WV? Thanks.

FutureDocDO said:
When do first year students get their white coats? Vicky, do you know what WVSOM is doing as far as rotation in preparation for the increase in students? Are they starting to allow 3rd students doing rotations outside of WV? Thanks.

I went to the book store over the summer and fitted my white coat way before time. Note: You have to get it monogrammed with your name at some point, too. It is required for clinic... and there is a small fee. I'm not sure they do the monograms before the ceremony :confused: The gals at the book store are great at answering any questions.

As for rotation sites, I have had only a brief conversation with Dean Adelman about that. He assured me there would be no problem. (My husband hopes to be a future student, so we are concerned, too). I didn't have time to ask specifics on WVSOM's plans. I was hoping for rotations closer to my hometown. He seemed to think that would be happening... the year after my clerkship begins. But, hey, that means more sites for your class (but where and how many are a mystery). Maybe after I get through my exams this week, I can hunt down a better answer for you... I didn't ask about out of state rotations. Anyone else have some answers?

Peace,
Vicky

CatsandCradles said:
RD330
jgl1980
catsandcradles

Now wouldn't it be funny if we used our SDN names in school

You could call me "cats". Or better yet, "biblecat" :laugh:

RD330
jgl1980
catsandcradles
theresa83

i wouldn't mind being called by my SDN name! :cool:

theresa83 said:
RD330
jgl1980
catsandcradles
theresa83

i wouldn't mind being called by my SDN name! :cool:

I'll call ya theresa83 if you want to or maybe there's a 83 ;) I think mine be a little hard to sound out but ya'll can give it a shot!!!

jgl1980 said:
I'll call ya theresa83 if you want to or maybe there's a 83 ;) I think mine be a little hard to sound out but ya'll can give it a shot!!!

i'll call you "jiggle" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
WVSOM Class of 2010
RD330
jgl1980
catsandcradles
theresa83
Duchess
JohnUC33 (I just went ahead and added you on! ;) )

Oh, and I'm back from WVSOM and found a GREAT one bedroom apartment! I'm really happy about it. I looked at other places and took some pics. So if you want me to e-mail them to you, along with descriptions for each place, let me know: [email protected]

WVSOM Class of 2010
RD330
jgl1980
catsandcradles
theresa83
Duchess
JohnUC33 (I just went ahead and added you on! ;) )

thats perfectly fine with me. So who are you renting from? How much and how far from the school if you don't mind sharing.

Duchess said:
Oh, I'm not flying...road trip, baby! Of course, it's not really a road trip because I'll be alone. Blah. After looking at my class schedules it would be best for me to leave this weekend before my tests start picking up again, and everyone already has set plans. Sucks. From Florida it's a 12 hour drive. I'm not looking forward to it. But I looked up tickets and it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive if you want to go last minute (range of a couple of weeks in advance) and I don't have the courage to spend that much.

You might want to consider a train ride.

For me, a car ride takes about 10 hours if I were to drive very fast. A train ride is takes just about as much time. It is nice in that you can relax a bit and the chairs are just huge and comfortable. They also have a hot foods counter in their train too :)

The closest train station is in a town called "White Sulphur Springs" and they have the Greenbrier resort. I'm not kidding you that place looks like the White House. I'm told that a lot of big golf tornaments take place their.

The bad news is that the station is about 7 miles from the school. So I had to take a cab to get me to Lewisburg. :(

I think my train ticket, round trip, came out to be about 150 dollars total.

CatsandCradles said:
You might want to consider a train ride.

For me, a car ride takes about 10 hours if I were to drive very fast. A train ride is takes just about as much time. It is nice in that you can relax a bit and the chairs are just huge and comfortable. They also have a hot foods counter in their train too :)

The closest train station is in a town called "White Sulphur Springs" and they have the Greenbrier resort. I'm not kidding you that place looks like the White House. I'm told that a lot of big golf tornaments take place their.

The bad news is that the station is about 7 miles from the school. So I had to take a cab to get me to Lewisburg. :(

I think my train ticket, round trip, came out to be about 150 dollars total.

Hey, Do you have a website or number for that train station?

JohnUC33 said:
Hey, Do you have a website or number for that train station?

Try doing an Amtrack search on line. My trip was Wilmington, Delaware going to White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.

If you do consider the train please keep in mind that the train station at White Sulphur isn't something huge. It's just a waiting station out in a forest - there's nobody at the station so you might want to search for a cab before you consider the train ride. I searched for a taxi service on line before I went to the interview - cause I didn't know anything about the area. I remember searching for a cab to be very problematic, despite the fact that there was a famous golf resort right next to the train station. I guess I just didn't know the area and ended up paying $70 for a cab service :eek:

And then when I finished with the interview, someone told me that there was this $5 shuttle service - and when I confessed to them that I had payed $70 the admissions committe laughed at me. :D

And the price of the train ride for me was actually cheaper now that I have found the ticket stub, $112.

I guess if you live on the east coast, or in the midwest the train is a viable option - but if your from the west coast the cost of the trip might become problematic.

Has anyone else received a letter from the financial aid office asking you to call them between specific dates to discuss your financial aid package? I just thought that was a bit odd since most schools usually send out packets with the information.

Hey guys, if you requested apartment info then check your mailbox.

JohnUC33,
I rented the apartment from the Kahlers' (listed Helge Kahler in the WVSOM directory). It's an amazing one bedroom...I'm so happy with it! And close to the school too. It's pretty darn big, and $550 per month. A great deal. I hope everyone is as happy with their place as I am with mine.

CatsandCradles,
Thanks for the train info, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Although the next time I go up there will probably be to move in sometime around July.

When do you guys think you'll be moving up there (or down there, depending on where you are now :rolleyes: )

i'm not sure when i'll get there, but if possible, we should plan to all meet up. i'd like to put a face to all these funky screen names!

theresa83 said:
i'm not sure when i'll get there, but if possible, we should plan to all meet up. i'd like to put a face to all these funky screen names!

I don't think I'll say who I am. I preffer to have an anonymous internet screen name.

Ok ok I'm weird - I admit it :eek:

CatsandCradles said:
I don't think I'll say who I am. I preffer to have an anonymous internet screen name.

Ok ok I'm weird - I admit it :eek:

Whatever. We're all classmates now.

By the way, you guys might want to add your names to the *Official Acceptance Thread* in the pre-osteo forum. I'm the only WVSOM person on there right now... :laugh:

Duchess said:

By the way, you guys might want to add your names to the *Official Acceptance Thread* in the pre-osteo forum. I'm the only WVSOM person on there right now... :laugh:
Uhhh... you're not the only person. ;) I added my name to it way back in September 2005. You'll see what I'm talking about if you scroll up a couple of posts. Someone must have removed it because it's getting too long, i.e., over the character limit. I've added WVSOM back on and removed all the extra/unnecessary characters people added so there should be plenty of space for others to add.

wake920 said:
Has anyone else received a letter from the financial aid office asking you to call them between specific dates to discuss your financial aid package? I just thought that was a bit odd since most schools usually send out packets with the information.
I just received mine today. I guess they had to wait for the 2nd deposit before giving me a MI with their proposed tuition increase, $46,736. That's a 3K increase from last year. They told me at the interview that there has been an increase every year so tuition could be over 50K by the time we graduate! They're going to surpass MSUCOM pretty soon.

theresa83 said:

Yeah that would cool for all of us to meet up. Some one mentioned a white wate r rafting trip this summer! Any news on that :D Anybody got any big plans for this summer before med school?!?!?!

jgl1980 said:
Yeah that would cool for all of us to meet up. Some one mentioned a white wate r rafting trip this summer! Any news on that :D Anybody got any big plans for this summer before med school?!?!?!

Hey that was me suggesting the white water rafting trip. I can look up costs and dates if people are interested?? I usually go every summer with USA Raft and the cost is usually around $80 for a 4 hour weekday trip down the lower New River. If anyone is interested e-mail me at [email protected]

oh, and rather calling me by my screen name, just call me erin!!

FutureDocDO said:
Who in here is an out-of-state student?

I am.

I am out of state....from Ohio, but right now in Indiana.

Out-of-state here. Live in Florida, originally from Brazil. :)

I am also an out of state student from North Carolina. Originally from India.

If any one is concerned about the increase in class size, as i was, then i have good news. I wrote an email to Dr. Pence, who is part of the faculty and involved in some rotation set up. His reply was "The school has added new faculty (Both PhD's and physicians) and had to have all the new rotations in place before the AOA would grant the increase in class size. Also new hospitals and rotation sites have been added and additional sites are currently being developed. The school will be ready including the opening of the new buildings in August 2006.

:thumbup:

tsdesai said:
I am also an out of state student from North Carolina. Originally from India.

If any one is concerned about the increase in class size, as i was, then i have good news. I wrote an email to Dr. Pence, who is part of the faculty and involved in some rotation set up. His reply was "The school has added new faculty (Both PhD's and physicians) and had to have all the new rotations in place before the AOA would grant the increase in class size. Also new hospitals and rotation sites have been added and additional sites are currently being developed. The school will be ready including the opening of the new buildings in August 2006.

:thumbup:

I'm glad to hear that. How many people are going to be in our class now? 180?

I'm out of state...from TN.

Since us out-of-staters will have to take out private loans, I am curious as to where you guys/gals will be getting your private loans.

JohnUC33 said:
I'm out of state...from TN.

Since us out-of-staters will have to take out private loans, I am curious as to where you guys/gals will be getting your private loans.
I heard T.H.E has one of the lowest interest rates.

CatsandCradles said:
Oh my Lord. :laugh:

Another out of stater here from the great state of GA!

Hello Everyone! I'm an out-of-stater from California. I can't wait to meet you all this fall!

koniac said:
Hello Everyone! I'm an out-of-stater from California. I can't wait to meet you all this fall!

OMG!!! i'm from California too! Finally, someone else who is totally going to be shocked by WV's weather! :)

What part of CA are you from?

theresa83 said:
OMG!!! i'm from California too! Finally, someone else who is totally going to be shocked by WV's weather! :)

What part of CA are you from?

Hey theresa83! I'm from San Diego, where are you from?

I'm from good old Massachusetts :)

I'm in NC too, where are you? I'm in Wilson/Greenville. I'm a SC resident, though.

WVSOM Class of 2010: Just accepted today :) :) :)

Feel free to IM me at any time, as I'd love to make new friends in the area!

hooperg said:

Congratulations!

So excited to meet all my 2010 peeps in August! I'm still a little uncertain about living accomodations. I'd like to be walking distance from the school but no luck in securing a place yet. Anybody still looking for a roommate?

currently i'm in Statesville, NC but i attended UNC-Chapel Hill. How about you?

bbgirl said:
I'm in NC too, where are you? I'm in Wilson/Greenville. I'm a SC resident, though.

Looking for apartments but it seems many of them are taken. Wondering if anyone needs a room mate or wants to get a two bedroom apartment with me being that many of those are available. Well let me know if you are in the same dilemma. Thank you.

I went to Furman University in Greenville, SC, BS and MS

hooperg said:

Congrats!! See ya in the fall

Being from a big city in Florida, and also from a large university, Lewisburg is going to be quite the adjustment. Any of you in the same situation? What will you miss the most from your home state/city?

Here's my list:
1.) The beach....and surfing!
2.) kickboxing, and my dojo
3.) warm weather for 80% of the year
4.) a variety of restaurants....especially SUSHI!
5.) having a choice of bars/clubs to go out to (not that I'll have much time for that anyways, but still)
6.) GREAT shopping