WTF is this molecule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airplay355

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took an OChem midterm and we had to draw the resonance structures of a molecule. I'm trying to find that molecule so I can see if I did it right.

It looked like a cyclohexane with an O in it (in the ring) and an N in the ring too, a methyl group off the N, a double bond between two of the carbons in the ring and a positive charge on one of the remaining carbons.

I guess a better way to explain it would be if the N with the methyl group was #1 in the ring going clockwise #2=C #3=O #4=C #5=C #6=C+ with the double bond between C4 and C5.

Can anyone tell me what molecule this is and what the resonance hybrid and resonance forms are?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If I understood your description correctly, there are going to be a number of resonance forms, since you can move that positive charge around. In one form you could use the lone pair from the N to double bond with the carbon cation so that the positive charge now rests on the nitrogen. This gives you a resonance form with 2 double bonds and all atoms having an octet.

In another form you could break the existing double bond and transfer those electrons so that the 5 and 6 position now have a double bond, leaving the 4 position with a positive charge. This resonance form could then be converted to another one by taking a lone pair off of oxygen and using it to double bond with the carbon cation at the 4 position. The oxygen now carries the positive charge This once again gives you a resonance form with 2 double bonds and all atoms with an octet.

oh and btw, I don't really know what kind of classification this molecule falls under. I would say cyclic ether, but I don't know if that works with the N in the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.