WSJ: New “Woke” Medical Schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Meanwhile...

The climate is not waiting for us to get our act together.

Members don't see this ad.

So you think an entire field of study consisting of people with thousands of cumulative years of experience and education is nothing but a bunch of corrupt cowards doctoring studies in order to continue making 70k/yr at their academic jobs?
Those are your words. You asked a simple question and I was just answering. I think people tend to group think and are afraid to challenge what is considered established science. It’s that way even in medicine. You don’t have to quote a thousand articles to know that studying the climate with modern technology over the past 50 years is essentially insignificant in the grand scheme of things. That doesn’t mean I don’t think we aren’t contributing to environmental changes. It’s just interesting watching how passionate people are about something we know so little about.

You don’t have to quote a thousand articles to know that studying the climate with modern technology over the past 50 years is essentially insignificant in the grand scheme of things
isn't that the point of climate studies now, to see how much of a change we have on our current environment? there are multiple other human activities that have caused devastating changes to the environment, some of which we humans have done meaningful change for the better.

which brings me up to the question to climate change deniers - what is the harm of changing to using energy that is more renewable, does not cause as much pollution? have we humans as a species been damaged by not using leaded gas, not using CFCs in our underarm spray, not rely so much on nuclear energy, limiting deforestation/replanting trees, reducing acid rain, certain EPA actions, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Satellite data has only been used since the 1970s. Before that, temps were measured using "proxy" measurements, alcohol and mercury thermometers.

2. Since the type of measurement and location have been standardized, there has not been any increase in temps.

3. CO2 rises after temps increase in ice cores, not the other way around.

4. 500 climate scientists just sent a resolution to the UN asking that "global warming" initiatives be abandoned, as the objective science did not support it. These are climate scientists from institutions like MIT, Cal Tech, and the Max Plank institute. Stating that the "science" completely supports this hypothesis is 100% inaccurate.

Does your 401k consist of only BP and Chevron stock?

similar to how some ppl benefit from cigarette smoking?

Some people? We are a protected class. UC

not protected. read the article.
Smoking is not recommended as a treatment for UC.

But since nicotine is addictive, it’s not recommended for long-term use.
I was thinking shareholders for tobacco companies...

Does your 401k consist of only BP and Chevron stock?

Nope - out of the market since DOw 26,000.

I will be patient, as I have seen this play before, and it doesn’t end well.

No need to take risks any longer.

Nope - out of the market since DOw 26,000.

I will be patient, as I have seen this play before, and it doesn’t end well.

No need to take risks any longer.
so out in Jan 2018? well that cost you some money

so out in Jan 2018? well that cost you some money

I don’t really need it. I need asset protection. I can wait.

I did the same thing in 2000 and 2008 and it saved a ton of money.

Timing the market is impossible, but there are certain instances in which the risk becomes too high. This is one of them.

I certainly could be wrong, but I need to see a good recession to get back in. The problem is that banks around the world can’t lower interest rates anymore; all they have is increased spending and pumping up liquidity. That’s a little tough when bond yields are so low.

If you are early in your career, it probably doesn’t matter. But don’t pay attention to those old adages by brokers- they need you in the market.

Out of market also means no dividends.

An old adage but holds weight: time in market beats timing the market.

Maybe he is near retirement age?

an older adage is if you've won the game, stop playing the game

Reactions: 3 users
I
an older adage is if you've won the game, stop playing the game

I like that answer. You still want some yield on money, but choosing low risk when you are “there” is better than staying in the market and losing what you have achieved.

Today, there is little or no yield. That’s why the market is so over valued- people are chasing yield in an environment where there is none.

I also have “slush funds” for my kids that I won’t give them until the market tanks. That will be a lifelong lesson, as I will show them how much they would have lost.

It’s good to be one of my kids.

I like that answer. You still want some yield on money, but choosing low risk when you are “there” is better than staying in the market and losing what you have achieved.

Today, there is little or no yield. That’s why the market is so over valued- people are chasing yield in an environment where there is none.

I also have “slush funds” for my kids that I won’t give them until the market tanks. That will be a lifelong lesson, as I will show them how much they would have lost.

It’s good to be one of my kids.
I think there's a healthy yield but it requires risk. It used to be you could make a healthy return with almost zero risk. Only the bold took risks for a higher return. Now it's either invest and risk it all, or watch it be chipped away by inflation. People are basically being coerced into risky investing rather than being attracted to it.

So we have a risky market full of people who are risk-averse but have no choice. I wonder if we're going to have a crash or this is just the new normal. But certainly not much room for error...

I think there's a healthy yield but it requires risk. It used to be you could make a healthy return with almost zero risk. Only the bold took risks for a higher return. Now it's either invest and risk it all, or watch it be chipped away by inflation. People are basically being coerced into risky investing rather than being attracted to it.

So we have a risky market full of people who are risk-averse but have no choice. I wonder if we're going to have a crash or this is just the new normal. But certainly not much room for error...

current conditions suck for returns - global markets in recession, we're entering bear market, real estate is stalled or dropping, interest rates going down... bonds will maybe get you above rate of inflation. i shoulda bought a dispensary

current conditions suck for returns - global markets in recession, we're entering bear market, real estate is stalled or dropping, interest rates going down... bonds will maybe get you above rate of inflation. i shoulda bought a dispensary

....... but you are young!!!

So at that point, just put things away and stop worrying. Will you experience a crash? Very likely- however, it’s really hard to figure when to get back in after a crash.

I am a geezer and need to protect what I have, so don’t listen to me.

So at that point, just put things away and stop worrying. Will you experience a crash? Very likely- however, it’s really hard to figure when to get back in after a crash.

you are not the only altacocker on this board

get off my lawn!