Wrote thank you letters to PD's but forgot to write them for interviewers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpd210

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will this be a mark against me for those programs?? Looking back, all the interviewers gave me their cards with email addresses and I should've sent a thank you letter/email... Anyone know of people who just thank the program directors and still match in to their top choices?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

no way to prove it, but if this affects you at all, i'll buy you a coke. i doubt a thank you letter to the PD makes a difference.

Look - stop the insanity.

Letters to PDs, faculty members, etc. DO NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MATCHING. Please see about a thousand other posts here with the same question.

They are nice, they are polite but as aPD has noted several times before, no one really cares if they don't get them and it doesn't affect your ability to match. You were given cards with email addys on them if you should have any questions about the program and because the interviewers were being polite. Not because they expected a thank you letter.

Now relax....please.

Letters to PDs, faculty members, etc. DO NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MATCHING. Please see about a thousand other posts here with the same question.

Thank you letters are VITAL. In fact, these days if you don't send flowers, you're out of the norm.

Face it. No letters to interviewers = no residency.

Thank you letters are VITAL. In fact, these days if you don't send flowers, you're out of the norm.

Stop making me laugh when I'm trying to be authoritative.:laugh:

Flowers reminds me...in the old days, Greg Chronowski of Chrononet fame, admitted to me that he sent flowers to the Program Coordinator at a program where he really wanted an interview but wasn't offered one. He got one and he got in.

how about the singing mail grams? is that what they are called? should have it ordered while the PD is on a shift, they really love it and might rank you very high.

Personally if I don't get a singing mail gram, I go tell my PD that the applicant I interviewed was a jerk and that I don't want to work with him/her. ;)

Now on a serious note . . . Some of the applicants I've interviewed have sent thank you cards or emails. I appreciate them, but I don't think to tell my PD either way and at the moment I couldn't tell you who did and who didn't.

i haven't sent any. i'm not going to send any. my verbal thank you on the day of the interview is much more sincere than any mundane, barely legible card would be. and since my phone is ringing off the hook and my inbox overfloweth with "we're ranking you highly," i'm guessing that none of the programs i interviewed at really care.