Army WRNMMC where to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same as topic. Which areas would be good for a family? No kids in school yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in Rockville when I was there, then moved to Fairfax my last year, so my wife and I had the same commute time (her from Fredericksburg). A lot of my coresidents were in Gaithersburg. Most of them had small children, and thought it was great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

The OP might want to give some more info like what your priorities are. Commute time, house size, etc. then the answers might be better focused and have more meaning.

The OP might want to give some more info like what your priorities are. Commute time, house size, etc. then the answers might be better focused and have more meaning.

Good idea.

Since I’ll pretty much always be working, my priority would be a nice home of decent size in a good and safe area for a wife and four children. And probably frequently-visiting mother and sister in law.

Schools don’t really matter, as my oldest two are only with me during the Summer and school breaks and youngest two will be too young to ever start school there before moving again.

A decent commute would be a nice bonus, but I’ll be spending time at various locations between Bethesda and as far as Quantico. However, I’m willing to deal with a somewhat ****ty commute to make it better for my family if necessary.

TIA

Last edited:
I'm no forensic psychiatrist, but I have a pretty good guess as to which fellowship you are pursuing...

Yeah, it wasn’t hard to figure out. I️ haven’t decided for certain yet whether to pursue. Certainly I’d like to, but I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the added burden to my family and additional ADSO.

I liked in North Bethesda and liked it. Had a nice bike trial to NNMC (Now Walter Reed). It was close to the interstate so I could cut down travel time if I wanted to go by car. I was also equal distances between Rockville Town Center and Bethesda.

Thanks for the feedback, and any more that may come. After doing a quick search of homes in the aforementioned areas, I'm actually a bit surprised the military doesn't provide a COLA for this area. The BAH alone isn't going to get one very far.

I lived in Silver Spring when I was a fellow at Walter Reed during the transition from DC to Bethesda. I lived in down town Silver Spring and I loved it. However with a four kids and visiting in laws I don't think you'd find any thing decent that's affordable on a resident's salary. Gaithersburg or Rockville are two reasonably priced areas. I new of someone in Arlington but to get something big enough for your needs it might be pricey (even renting).

I lived in Silver Spring when I was a fellow at Walter Reed during the transition from DC to Bethesda. I lived in down town Silver Spring and I loved it. However with a four kids and visiting in laws I don't think you'd find any thing decent that's affordable on a resident's salary. Gaithersburg or Rockville are two reasonably priced areas. I new of someone in Arlington but to get something big enough for your needs it might be pricey (even renting).

Second Silver Spring. It becomes more affordable if you are OK with going outside of downtown Silver Spring (down Georgia Ave toward 495). Wheaton is also decent for families. The only problem with these places is the distance to Quantico. That would be a crappy commute unless you are showing up at 0600.

I would also suggest looking into Cabin John area.