written board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMFreakz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

For those who have taken this, wondered how much you guys studied for it (assuming you did average on inservice i.e. mid to high 80s). I realize time spent, etc is highly variable, but from your best judgement, how much is enough i.e. going through Rivers is enough +/- listening to Ohio ACEP or Las vegas with their syllabi?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used Rivers and the Ohio Acep syllabus and that was plenty. I think if you'd not been practicing for a while it might be tough but I came away from the test thinking the ones I didn't know I wouldn't have studied the right stuff to answer them no matter how much more time i'd put in. I passed, did fine and still am not worried about not having any idea on the ones i didn't know...stuff anyone would look up and have plenty of time to do so in practice....

best of luck!

Hmmm, I studied off and on for about a month. I used two resourses: Peer whatever (I think it was 7?) and a questionbook. I never once cracked a rivers book, mostly because I can't learn with an outline.

Basically, figure out how you learn best for theses types of tests adn pick one or two resourses to use. and only use those. The major studying screw up that people commit when studying for standardized tests is trying to use to many resourses and thus mastering almost no information. Get one or two and KNOW THEM. well.

And remember, unlike MCAT, Step 1, Step 2, no one cares what your score is as long as you pass.

I did well on teh inesrvice throughout residency (used PEER VI as prep for them each year).

When it came down to studying for the written, I did PEER VI twice I think, read all the explanations.

I tried reading the Ohio ACEP Written Review syllabus/outline, but, I don't know how much of it I read. Its very very basic and I felt as if if I didn't know it at that point, that reading it wasn't going to be very helpful.

I did well on the written btu not as well as I had hoped (still passed).

Q