Delaying ABEM Written Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdtrpt

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just graduated from EM residency this year and am currently in an HPM fellowship. I'm trying to decide if I should take my boards this year or delay it until after finishing fellowship, since I don't know how much dedicated time I'll have over the next two or so months to study. I wanted to ask and gauge about how much time or how many months most people take to study for the ABEM written exam? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably take it this year. You'll lose a lot of knowledge in esoteric pediatric, neurology, etc. without actively practicing emergency medicine. How did you do on your in-training exam? There is usually a direct correlation.

Reactions: 2 users
You should probably take it this year. You'll lose a lot of knowledge in esoteric pediatric, neurology, etc. without actively practicing emergency medicine. How did you do on your in-training exam? There is usually a direct correlation.

Overall my ITEs were on the lower side so I figure having more time to study might be better. My last ITE was at the 12th percentile (score of 70), putting me at a 79% chance of passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, take it as soon as you can. I also just graduated and also am in a non-ER fellowship. It certainly sucks doing fellowship reading and a bunch of Rosh everyday on top of clinical duties. Trying to get back to a board-passable level of knowledge after being out of the ED for a year sounds harder in my opinion. Moonlighting in the ED a few shifts a month is also probably a good idea if you can swing it.

Reactions: 1 users
Having done a palliative fellowship myself, you should have ample time to study. I would def recc to take it on the regular schedule. Get it over with and get lined up for oral boards... HPM board are only every 2 years (2022, 2024, 2026...) and you might already be looking at 2026 depending on how your written/oral scheduling plays out. Some employers require you to have board cert in HPM within 5 years of starting. If you start your position in 2023, then delay and end up having HPM boards in 2028/2030 then it could get complicated for no reason.

The EM exam isn't going to get any easier the farther you proceed out of residency when doing a non-EM fellowship. Study hard!

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Also know if you delay EM boards and don’t take the written in the first possible window you’re allowed to, you will be required to do a $100 LLSA test which is online and open book.

Reactions: 1 user