Written Board Review Coarse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any that come well recommended?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that Ohio ACEP has a great review...

roja said:
Anyone know of any that come well recommended?

Ohio is the oldest, has the most options.

My residents have taken the Las Vegas course as their senior trip. Usually have had good improvements in in-training scores (althought there are some other reasons for that as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
whaaaa? nothing near a beach???? *sniff*

This may the course that BKN alluded to, but the National Emergency Medicine Board Review course is put on primarily by USC faculty Herbert and Bukata of EM:RAP fame and is really outstanding. I'm pretty sure that they offer courses annually in Vegas and Chicago.
I listened to the lectures and reviewed the written materials for the Ohio ACEP, GW board review and NEMBR (mail order stuff, haven't actually attended the seminars) and would agree that Ohio ACEP and NEMBR are both worthwhile. However, the NEMBR course really seems to be a notch above. I'd say that the GW course is both pretty outdated (last recorded in the summer of 2004) and pretty short on high-yield material despite very long lectures. Have heard good things about a Pennsylvania ACEP course and a Collman Institute course but have been unable to locate any recent materials.
BTW; for oral board review, the Rivers CD review package, while somewhat brief in overall content, was well worth the relatively small time investment. She gives a very workable 'formula' for tackling the oral board format as well as decent clinical pearls and scenarios that you're likely to encounter during your exam
And yes, I know, this is complete overkill for board prep. I just like reading and assimilate pretty well as an "audio" learner during my commute.

I did the Ohio ACEP review course last year as an R2 and found it to be excellent. The content varies somewhat from speaker to speaker--excellent Cards and Pulmonary, weak Tox and Environmental. The visual stimuli are outstanding. I am going to do the National Course in Las Vegas in August. Have heard very positive things about Pennsylvania ACEP as well, but I have most of their print materials from one of my attendings.

Is it just me? I do not plan on taking a written course. The test is what, 400 questions? Twice the length of the inservice? I will buy one of the board review books (or just get a copy from someone) and study several weeks before the written in my off-times. As for the oral, I am thinking of just buying one of the books. We do mock oral scenarios at our program, and I am thinking that maybe me and any other new grad at the program I will be at can just practice on each other.

I don't really want to spend 1000-2000k on a course... especially if residency is supposed to prepare you for what lies ahead in life.

Q

For the most part, I just like listening to the lectures. It's essentially like attending a great, concise lecture from a well-known speaker every time I drive to and from work. Also have them converted to MP3 so I listen to them on my iPod at the gym, traveling, and walking the dogs. These board review courses, combined with EM Audio digest, EM:RAP, and USC Symposium Essentials seems to make for a pretty painless way to assimilate great info during time that otherwise is "wasted". I would point out though that these really are not a substitute for the core texts that residents should be reading (Tintinalli, Rosens, Roberts/Hedges), they're just a great addition. The only real significant drawback are the hefty price tags. Fortunately, my residency picks up the bulk of the tab.

I have to agree with Quinn. How often does a board review help someone who just graduated from a residency program? I guess if you were borderline on all your inservices but otherwise I'm betting you can pass without the review course. I didn't do a review course and most(or all my friends) didn't either. For the oral boards we just made up practice cases for each other to try to get used to the formula. You know IV, 02, monitor, all the other stuff that happens automatically in the ED but you have to remember to ask for on the oral boards. Unless you are a poor test taker, did poorly on the inservice, or are really nervous about this I would say save your money.