Writing Scripts as a Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgreet

Dopefish Lives!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, while volunteering in a local hospital it seems like all the residents have to have the attending sign every script they write. Is this the case everywhere? Do you not have full prescribing writes until after you are done with residency? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Different hospitals have different restrictions on writing scripts, especially with regard to controlled substances. Where I did med school the residents weren't allowed to write for controlled substances until they had their own license. Here at Wake we can write for anything we want.

C

Ditto.

I'm going to set up my very own Desert Percocet clinic here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well lets say you walk into joe pharmacy somewhere and you need Allegra or something like that? Can you not perscribe it for yourself or someone else?

IN the hospital, we can write for anything we want... for outpatients, I can write scripts for anything but narcs/benzos - attendings have to write those.

As for calling in your own prescription or for a friend... not a problem. I try not to call in my own scripts as it is frowned upon, but I've had friends write me scripts. Not a big deal.

In NC it is stipulated as part of the training license that you are not to prescribe for yourself or friends/family. Oncec you have your full license you can prescribe whatever.

Unlike at Scrubbs place, we can write for anything inpt or out.

definitely do not prescribe for yourself. It sets up suspicion and I don't know if pharmacists would even fill it. Plus they might be inclined to call the hospital to report it. If you prescribe something for a friend, I have been told to document and as cheesy as it sounds, just have a preprinted H and P form that you can fill out, ask them questions about allergies, PMH, and document it. In the unlikely event that you ever get investigated it would show that you are being legitimate.