Writing Sample question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've been out of school for a while, so I need some refreshing here...

Is typical essay format still: Introduction, Body, Conclusion?
If so, is it acceptable to make the response to the first prompt in the WS also be the introduction, or should you have intro, 3 paragraphs answering questions, then conclusion?

Conclusions have always been easy for me, but I never know what to put in an intro. Any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The format that a lot of people seem to use is to answer each item in the essay in its own paragraph with the introduction and conclusion integrated into the first and third paragraph. You're welcome to write five paragraphs if you think you'll have enough time, but I don't think it's necessary.

The tip a lot of my writing profs gave was to write the intro last. It makes sense because most people don't know exactly what they're going to write until it's written. Then you simply go back summarize and done. Like the abstract. You write it last.

I am a little surprised most people include the intro and concl into the first and thrid paragraphs. That sounds dirty. But I guess if there are only three paragraphs, you aren't saying much. I'm so glad I'm a very verbose writer. I would not follow that person's advice but that's just me.

My suggested scheme:

Intro

Point/argument 1

Point/argument 2

Point/argument 3

Concl

Add more points as desired
A paragraph is what 3 sentences? Not hard.

Put something provocative in the concl to interest people. Always end on a good note or the rest of the essay doesn't matter.

Wow I hope no one reads this, that was good advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should add that the three paragraph method is the one suggested by Kaplan, and somewhere on the AAMC website, they say you don't have to write a traditional five paragraph essay. Plenty of people on SDN have used the three paragraph method and done just fine. Ask around if you want.

I would also advise against adding more points as desired, as ProteinChemist has suggested. You will be given three specific tasks in the essay prompt. One paragraph/point each will suffice. Anything more will lead to a cluttered essay (also keep in mind you only have thirty minutes). Besides, the graders will be spending maybe 45 seconds reading each of your essays. Make it easier for them to read, and maybe you'll get a higher score.

Yeah I think the three paragraph method is better:

Paragraph 1 - intro (situation A) - explain statement
Paragraph 2 - counterexample (opposite the statement, B)
Paragraph 3 - criterion used to determine when (A) vs (B) applies

If you check out prompts on AAMC's website, they essentially list 3 tasks: explain this statement, when is the statement not true, what determines whether the statement applies.